• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Thinking of putting "real" dual sport tires on my '09 R1200GS. Any ideas?

beeryboats

I'm thinking of putting some dual sport tires on my GS. I have 20 acres of land that I would love to take bike on, but the factory tires just don't cut it. I avoid lots of fun with the bike as I don't trust the tires. Admittedly, it is my commute "car" most work days. The latest MOA mag really got me thinking seriously about new tires when the time comes. Problem is, my rear tire is fairly fresh, while the front will need to be changed in the next few months. So do I ride the front to death, or toss the rear away with plenty of life left in it, or can I mix a more aggressive tire with the factory rear until it wears out?

I ran into a fellow on the way home from the Bloomsburg ralley a few years ago that had an Adventure with knobby tires. He said they were fine on the street, yet local club members say I'll loose lots of street grip. I would like to get at least 6k miles out of a set of tires as well.

Thanks,
Jay

Continental TKC80 are great 50-50 tires. I'm a medium-fast rider (ahead of the pack but the fast guys pass me like I'm standing still :)). I don't out-ride the TKC80 on a dry road once they have about 150 miles on them. Perhaps one of the fast guys would. I only have to slow down a little in the wet. The down side is that you will not see 6K on the rear. A front will last at least two rears.

My standard set-up is a TKC80 on the front and a "dual sport" on the rear, typically a conti trail attack.

I'd switch the tires right away and put the rear tire on a shelf, you can always put it back on.

If you want to have fun off road, go with an aggressive tread. I like the TKC 80's off road. DS tires that are more street oriented will slip and slide on the trails. Do you want to be concerned about falling all the time, or zip through the woods with confidence and feel like a GS Giant? TKC 80's will be fine for your commute to work, unless you are a knee dragger. The lower mileage using a DS tire will be outweighed by the **** eating grin plastered to your face from all the fun you are having off road.

I don't have 20 acres, but here is a satellite photo of my yard.

i-XvkNnwx-L.jpg

Oh no! Now we have crop triangles. Don't let anybody see those photos. Folks will flock from far and wide, camp out, chant skyward, and do all sorts of untoward things.

Aren't TKC80's the stock Adventure tires? I'm no knee dragger either, but I can't afford a pair of 1500 mile tires either. Nor do I want to replay the mid 80's when I layed out my GPZ500 and spent a month on my ass healing.

Anyway, no crop circles or triangles at my place. But there have been a couple of knocked out spread eagles. It took lots of beer though....:lurk:lurk

The bikes come with different tires. I don't know if any came with TKC80. Mostly I see Tourance or Anakee or Trail Attack.

This is a front TKC80 with 8800 miles. The knobs have turned into wedges which make for a bumpy ride. It was time for a new tire.

p-20091114-1509-1291-L.jpg

Jay-
Might want to take a look at the Heidenau K60 Scouts. I have these on my 2012 GS and I think they are pretty good. I do a fair amount of riding Death Valley and parts in between on them. They do a good job of getting you there (highway) and perform well in that kind of terrain (desert). They seem to be holding up well with 2500+ miles so far. My feeling is they are one of the best Dual Sport tires for this big bike.

Brian

I saw the scouts in an add about a year ago and was very impressed. I think I'll go with them after I wear the front out.
Jay

I've been running TKC 80s on my 09 GSA and found them to be pretty good off-road. Last year I had a blow out on my XR650 mid-way through a dualsport rally and I caught a lift back home to get my GSA. I finished out the day of trail riding, and aside from the GSA being a heavy pig, the tires performed well in mud, rocks, loose gravel, and hill climbs.

Heidenau, :)

I just mounted my first set of Heidenau's. WOW, like'em. True 50/50 tire as I see it. I am an avid offroader, been using the BS Battlewings and Tourances for 95000m and not going back. The TKCs are best of all, but I am not rich and do not buy tires at 4000m intervals. Knobs get worse with wear too, wedgies:(. Had many dirt bikes and knobs always wear badly with age, which isn't long. You a very serious offroader and need the best bite, go TKC's. You very good offroader and adventure is king, the K60s will get r done nicely and money well spent. Just broke mine in yesterday in some serious offroad, high Sierra Nevada Mountains and all smiles. NO compare to my previous tires above, not even close!!! Randy

Back