• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Cancer Survivors Who ride

Ken, here's hoping your recovery is quick and uneventful. Those post op infections can be a bigger set back than one can imagine. My advice on when to resume riding is that you will know yourself when it is time. Better to push then to sit at home in my opinion. I left the hospital in early February and started riding in late March. Of course, everyone has their own conditions.

You've got a lot to teach that doctor, don't you :whistle

Here's to healing well. Sharing helps.

Voni

Thank you for your kind words and advice. Yes the infection post op is the wild card since that is much more the current struggle than the initial issue and treatment and could extend the interval until I can really move around and begin strengthening myself again. Patience and a good attitude is required as I have seen many others here demonstrate.

I appreciate you sharing that.

I wasn't aware that the recovery that needs to take place post cancer therapy is equally complex.

Glad you are here to educate us.

Voni
sMiling

Infections are one of the biggest negative factors limiting to the success of all procedures in Canada as described in this article:

[URL="http://www2.canada.com/edmontonjournal/news/story.html?id=0bc325b3-2013-46e6-bdf6-78805600e587"URL]

If anyone has an option as where their Cancer treatment is done - they owe it to themselves to visit a post operative unit at the hospital they are using.

The US stat is that about 100K patients die of hospital acquired infections annually. The rate accompanying significant procedures approaches 4%- a number that is no doubt familiar to BMW riders for other reasons.

No one except physicians who these days get essentially no significant traiing in infectious disease would put all the seriously ill folks in the region in one building - many of which are an add on mess that doesn't make prevention easy.

Recent studies show about half of US physicians continue to misuse antibiotics- between them and the animal feed industry they're created most of the current problems with resistant organisms.

Live well and ride on!!

This is one of my favorite scenes from The World's Fastest Indian:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndGqM1JqliY

The best part is the lack of any discernible delay (a la a Joe Friday conversation from the original Dragnet) between the doctor saying "Your motorcycling days are over" and Bert saying "Like hell they are"

Heal well and ride on!

BH

Diagnosed Dec 2007 ...

... with moderately aggressive Prostate cancer. Since it had spread outside the capsule, avoided surgery and received 39 external beam radiation treatments. Did have hormone treatment with expensive shots to reduce testosterone to zero. Maybe even less ... . No chemo and no radioactive seed implants. Radiation ended end of June. August 1st 2008 foundThe me on a plane to South Africa on a work assignment, no bike for 18 months. Since it was winter on my return, it was almost 2 years before returning to riding.

Excellent followup since then. In fact, I am going for another blood test tomorrow. So far, the PSA is very low (which is good) but has not reached a plateau, so the oncologist continues the monitoring. So far, so good.

The biggest challenges were weight gain due to the hormone treatment and overall weakness due to the radiation, maybe also the hormone treatment. Have been able to lose some weight, need to do more.

Bought my RT in September 2011. I had wanted one since 1975... . If I had one then, I would have ridden across Canada to BC. Did that in June 2012, via the US and back through Canada.

Last year, I had a case of Pneumonia which nearly killed me. 12 nights in hospital, one right lung operation to remove gelled water in the pleural cavity. Very weak after and for months. Wiped out the 2013 riding season.

I am going to repeat that Western trip starting May 29 this year. Current plans are to head to Missoula then through the Lolo Pass, on to Oregon, then up the coast to Vancouver Island. After visiting my long-time friend John (mechanical engineer, restorer of bikes, owns 15 or so currently), I'll head home. I will be reporting in my blog as I go, as I did last time. You are welcome to follow my progress.

Although I have camping equipment, I'm going to do the motel thing this trip. June is pretty cool in most of the areas I will travel through.

Happy to be a survivor, see Emma grow from a baby to a fine teenage young lady, and enjoy life.

... with moderately aggressive Prostate cancer. Since it had spread outside the capsule, avoided surgery and received 39 external beam radiation treatments. Did have hormone treatment with expensive shots to reduce testosterone to zero. Maybe even less ... . No chemo and no radioactive seed implants. Radiation ended end of June. August 1st 2008 foundThe me on a plane to South Africa on a work assignment, no bike for 18 months. Since it was winter on my return, it was almost 2 years before returning to riding.

Excellent followup since then. In fact, I am going for another blood test tomorrow. So far, the PSA is very low (which is good) but has not reached a plateau, so the oncologist continues the monitoring. So far, so good.

The biggest challenges were weight gain due to the hormone treatment and overall weakness due to the radiation, maybe also the hormone treatment. Have been able to lose some weight, need to do more.

Bought my RT in September 2011. I had wanted one since 1975... . If I had one then, I would have ridden across Canada to BC. Did that in June 2012, via the US and back through Canada.

Last year, I had a case of Pneumonia which nearly killed me. 12 nights in hospital, one right lung operation to remove gelled water in the pleural cavity. Very weak after and for months. Wiped out the 2013 riding season.

I am going to repeat that Western trip starting May 29 this year. Current plans are to head to Missoula then through the Lolo Pass, on to Oregon, then up the coast to Vancouver Island. After visiting my long-time friend John (mechanical engineer, restorer of bikes, owns 15 or so currently), I'll head home. I will be reporting in my blog as I go, as I did last time. You are welcome to follow my progress.

Although I have camping equipment, I'm going to do the motel thing this trip. June is pretty cool in most of the areas I will travel through.

Happy to be a survivor, see Emma grow from a baby to a fine teenage young lady, and enjoy life.

You picked a great ride for your return to two wheels - nice to hear that is again possible for you. :bikes

I had a freckle on my upper arm that increased in diameter very slowly over a period of about 10 years.

Example one: my younger brother Robert had a spot on his forehead. Company nurse said it was nothing. Family friend, a nurse, told him to go see a dermatologist. It was melanoma (yes, all melanoma is malignant!) Surgery by a plastic surgeon, no one can see the scar, he is still healthy. The melanoma was 35 years ago.

Example two: a guy I worked with. I had two surgeries on my face to remove basal cell skin cancer lesions. The guy didn't learn anything from my example, had a spot on his shoulder, never had it looked at, committed suicide. By the time it was diagnosed malignant melanoma, it had spread throughout his body and there was no hope for him.

I am now up to seven surgeries for skin cancer, all basal cell type. No big deal, I wear a hat whenever I am outdoors and sunscreen when appropriate.

Please, people, take melanoma seriously. Google it and learn how to diagnose it, or at least get checked out by a dermatologist.

Harry

Good news today!

My Urologist reviewed the pathology of my tumour today and found that the cancer was completely within the bounds of the Prostate that was removed and did not appear in the associated Lymph Node samples and my PSA is now zero. From now on I will be checking PSA every three months to watch for anything appearing - and the Doctor said anything over a PSA of 0.2 would be an issue since there should be none at all.

The really good news!! (with my wife present) He decreed that I get out and ride the wheels off my bike if I wish but to listen to my body until my normal strength returns.

The bonus news!! He also stated that I must absolutely avoid washing dishes or vacuuming for at LEAST 10 to 15 years. At that point my wife spoke up.. :)

Congrats Ken!

You may need a new Doc. He evidently neglected to mention the importance of good wine to the recovery process.

My wife age 57 found she had colon caner February of this year. They hit it with 30 radiation treatments and chemo. Ended up with infection that just about killed her in March for her immune system being wiped out from the chemo. Last treatment was April 7th and they scoped her last week and said the tumor on her intestine wall was just a scar. She has been slowing improving and we did a 15 mile scooter ride last Sunday! Thankfully we live near the Cleveland Clinic with such great expertise and caring doctors.
I decided this year to finally get a new GSA so we can travel two up this fall and take advantage of every day.
I went with her to have her chemo pump installed and watched all ages and types coming in for chemo treatments. The courage and faith some folks have is incredible, they face the treatments head on and sure are not wimps!

Wife still has many side effects of the radiation and is slowly getting to her new normal. She is a active gal the rides horses cross country, scooter, bikes, and swims. She will fight her way back and has been a real inspiration to myself.

Really happy to be part of MOA and all of the positive folks on the site.

Anyone out there who has survived cancer and rides? I've got a question (OR TWO HUNDRED)... we'll start with...

What have been your two biggest challenges and what did you do/what was the result of facing those challenges?

I am currently in chemo and looking forward to getting back on the bike... but have MANY issues and would love to hear from other survivors or friends of survivors. The question applies to anyone who has had/has any cancer. It would be great to hear what kind of riding/touring whatever you did/do now.

Thanks,

I survived to 2 yet and i began to ride after. Just to make sure that i do everything that i wanted to do before an another one hit me.

Prostate cancer, 2006, did cryo focal freezing which was very new at the time. 11 years cancer free PSA 1.1
Lots of skin cancer from many years in sun, now see dermatologist every 6 months
Get yourself checked at least once a year, got the 6 inch scar on the back as a reminder

Not sure why I never noticed this thread until this evening. Perhaps because cancer has only been an issue for the last few months with me. Some incredible stories here, which makes me realize more clearly how prevalent this collection of diseases is these days.

I'm getting off pretty lucky, last summer had a small nick on my nose that I assumed had happened while I was taking down some trees around our property. Didn't think much about it, as I've had more than a few nicks over the years, but it didn't want to heal. Ignored it for awhile, but my lady finally convinced me to have our doctor check it out. The doc referred me to a dermatologist, and long story short, I was eventually diagnosed with angiosarcoma, a cancer that affects blood vessels and the lymphatic system. At one point the lab had said it was a benign lesion, but after I pushed back the biopsy was re-examined and determined to be malignant.

Had 25 radiation treatments before Christmas, and three surgeries since then to remove about half my nose and start reconstruction. Next surgery in eight days should be the last to make me handsome again...lol. Extensive scans show no spread to other places, primary concern is lungs and liver with angiosarcoma, so far looking good. Relatively early detection has been the key, combined with excellent care through Seattle Cancer Care Alliance and UW Medical Center.

Best wishes to all, and Ride Safe!

This thread has been going for a while and we are new to MOA so will add. I was diagnosed with stage 3 ovarian cancer in 2017. Surgery, chemo, more surgery , brca 1 diagnosis and now in remission (yay). I am one of the very lucky ones. Getting out during treatment as pillion for short rides for coffee or lunch was exhilarating and now because of this massive wake up call we are heading out for a 4 mth bike tour. We live in NZ so travelling to Alaska, mainland USA, Europe and UK. Life is great!

Very good, duncans. It's great to hear from others who've trod (or ridden, I should say) the same path. Glad you're doing well.

I will keep all of you in my prayers, my Mom had cancer in her female parts in the 80's and lived thank God then passed at 93 from old age, my Dad passed at 79 from colon cancer but he should not have passed, he was stubbern and wouldn't go to the doctor, 13 years ago my wife passed of brain cancer that became systemic and I had three really bad car accidents that should have killed me, each, none my fault and no alcohol, God wants me around a bit more and sure changed my life completely as I had to go onto disability, I'm retired as of last year, I was an astrophysicist and biologist, always loved the stars but I think I was a better musician, drummer, guitarist, pianist and singer and I read music for each. My Mom used to talk about everything you all are talking about, the platinum made her the sickest and I've heard it is not used any longer, it's a really nasty heavy metal. God bless you all.

Back