• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Police officer pursuit on BMW

MarkM

All-round Motorcyclist
Thug thinks his car can outrun this Beemer-mounted police officer. Nice riding there, Officer Gurley. It got my blood pumping.

I'm surprised that he didn't, at several points such as stop signs, hit reverse and ram his back bumper into the cop's bike. That would have disabled the bike and he'd have a good chance of getting away. Glad he didn't, and was caught. Must be something going on there, like a stolen car or outstanding warrants, etc.

Since that A-Hole put the officer at risk while having to pursue, a severe beating should be authorized and heavy penalties imposed like hard labor for a few brutal years. Oh, I forgot, they have rights, what a pity. Nice bike control though.

LOL... it took me a minute to realize the officer had dismounted to pursue on foot. I'm thinkin'.... this guys going motoX.

The suspect was doing a better job of leaving his pursuers in the dust once the chase was on foot. If it wasn't for the car cutting him off, there's no telling how far they would have run. I was watching the speedometer during the chase -- clearly into the triple digits.

awesome video. The officer can ride and talk. I have to ride slow when I am talking. Thanks for posting. It raised my heart rate just watching it. I wonder why officers don't wear 'All the gear'. Dress shirts seems a little dangerous at that speed. Also, I wonder if he could stay up on a hog.

There are motorcycle cops on here so they can confirm or clarify.

I took a riding class from the police. My wife has a bad leg and never could easily toss her leg over the seat. The cop told her to mount/dismount from the right side like "all motorcycle police do." We tried it, and it works though at first it feels funny. Try it, you might like it.

His reasoning was that the left side has you getting on and off closer to highway traffic.

I have watched motor cops and all I've seen do it this way.

LOL... it took me a minute to realize the officer had dismounted to pursue on foot. I'm thinkin'.... this guys going motoX.

HA, me too. Then I saw his arms pumping and had to laugh at myself as I thought he was going to run down the plain-clothes officer. Thanks for sharing.

awesome video. The officer can ride and talk. I have to ride slow when I am talking. Thanks for posting. It raised my heart rate just watching it. I wonder why officers don't wear 'All the gear'. Dress shirts seems a little dangerous at that speed. Also, I wonder if he could stay up on a hog.

Rode H-D Road Kings for 7 years, 8 hrs. a day, as a Motor Officer - I could make that 'Hog' dance. Trust me - an experienced motor officer could replicate that entire pursuit on a Hog. :thumb

There are motorcycle cops on here so they can confirm or clarify.

I took a riding class from the police. My wife has a bad leg and never could easily toss her leg over the seat. The cop told her to mount/dismount from the right side like "all motorcycle police do." We tried it, and it works though at first it feels funny. Try it, you might like it.

His reasoning was that the left side has you getting on and off closer to highway traffic.

I have watched motor cops and all I've seen do it this way.

Very true - a high-side dismount is away from traffic 90% of the time, so for us, it's habit.

We also get off that way so that in the "heat of the moment," should we have neglected to snap down the side stand, 950 lbs. of bike falls away from us and not on our leg.

From a practical point of view the highside mount/dismount is also very helpful to those vertically challenged folks with tall bikes. Mount up and dismount like a horse and you will not have to do the one-leg dance and scratch up side cases.

Rob: See if your wife can mount from the left side by stepping up on the peg or whatever with her left foot and mounting the bike like it is a horse. It will be much easier. That also works quite well, and I use it all the time on the RT, and for sure on GSA bikes.

Very true - a high-side dismount is away from traffic 90% of the time, so for us, it's habit.

We also get off that way so that in the "heat of the moment," should we have neglected to snap down the side stand, 950 lbs. of bike falls away from us and not on our leg.

Training and muscle memory. The two above reasons are the same 2 were given even back in the late 80's at motor school. Especially the kickstand part, much better to have that bike fall away from you than on you. Do it the same way every time. I still mount and dismount on the right. Sometime on the old Kawasakis the kickstand might snap back if you kicked it out too hard. Then when we started the transition to the Harley FXRP (a SWEET motor) sometimes the kickstand wouldn't deploy fully all the way in the heat of the moment, but you did have to love that Harley locking kickstand though!

Back