• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

R 100 /7 head oil leak

poe345

I have a low mileage 78 R 100/7 that is leaking oil around the top head bolt and running down around the spark plug. I have just replaced the head gasket and retourqed the head but it is still leaking. When I installed the new gasket I put a thin coat of copper coat on it.
Is this a cracked head, or does this year of bike have some strange quirk that I am not aware of?
How does the oil get to the top of the head to leak at this point?

I vaguely remember hearing about oil around the top bolt, the one at 12 o'clock. Hard to understand how oil could get there. Could be that the head is porous or has developed some kind of crack. Since oil is coming down the top head bolts, if there was some kind of material problem, the oil could migrate sideways to the top head bolt.

Back