Thread: 2006 RT brake flush/bleed problem

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

2006 RT brake flush/bleed problem

22,000 miles on my RT and two and a half years since dealer flushed brake system (whizzy type). I have done my own service on my 04 RT and had no problems. I gave up on the 06 as I cannot disconnect the controller on the module under the tank. On the 04 there was a locking tab on the rear of the connector and after pulling it to the rear the connector block came off no problem. The 06 is different and I'm stumped (again). I managed to do the flush anyway but for future reference I'd like to know the trick to getting this thing apart.
    Thanks all.
    Marty - in the western Oregon mountains.'06RT, (gone '04RT, '86 Venture Royal, '81 Yamaha Virago920, '82Suzuki GS1100GK, '76 Suzuki GT750, Triumph 750 Bonneville, BSA Road Rocket 650, 61" Harley knucklehead)

Don't know if the RT is the same as my GS. On the GS the lever lifts from the side. It's held in place by a detent that must be depressed to lift the lever up. You can see it in this pic.

DUH! Thank you Sir.
    Marty - in the western Oregon mountains.'06RT, (gone '04RT, '86 Venture Royal, '81 Yamaha Virago920, '82Suzuki GS1100GK, '76 Suzuki GT750, Triumph 750 Bonneville, BSA Road Rocket 650, 61" Harley knucklehead)

Quote Originally Posted by MPMARTY View Post
    22,000 miles on my RT and two and a half years since dealer flushed brake system (whizzy type). I have done my own service on my 04 RT and had no problems. I gave up on the 06 as I cannot disconnect the controller on the module under the tank. On the 04 there was a locking tab on the rear of the connector and after pulling it to the rear the connector block came off no problem. The 06 is different and I'm stumped (again). I managed to do the flush anyway but for future reference I'd like to know the trick to getting this thing apart.
    Thanks all.
    It as been a year and a half since I flushed my brakes (and I have not yet had my morning coffee), but I do not remember needing to disconnect any electrical connections from the ABS module? I was using the Jim vonBaden and repRom DVDs for guidance.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

On my last flush (two weeks ago), we had to disconnect the controller module because the bleeders were tight and we couldn't get a wrench around them.

+1

Access to the bleed screws is much better with the connector out of the way. I was too stupid to disconnect it my first time around.
    Eric * Columbia SC
    Magnesium Beige '14 K1600GTL
    Piedmont Red 2006 R1200RT