• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Blind Spot Mirror

sloride

I've been trying to find a set of mirrors that I could clip onto the stock mirror stems on my GS and haven't had much luck.

Any suggestions would be welcome

Hi Anthony:

I mounted GS mirrors on my RT to have much better coverage. I use stick-on rectangular wide-angle mirrors to give pretty much perfect coverage from straight back and to 90 degrees either side with these. There is also no "fish-eye" distortion with the rectangular mirrors, unlike the round ones which do have the distortion. Highly recommended accessories !

Maxi View mirrors are a very good product, though of course they mount on the mirror, not the stem. Have them on my K100RS and also a VW Passat. Get your regular mirrors adjusted for the best view behind you and the Maxi Views for the blind spot on each side and one glance tells you everything you need to know.

One caveat - if there are TWO lanes to either side, you must head-check to make sure there is not a car two lanes over moving into the spot you covet.

Maxi View mirrors are a very good product, though of course they mount on the mirror, not the stem. Have them on my K100RS and also a VW Passat. Get your regular mirrors adjusted for the best view behind you and the Maxi Views for the blind spot on each side and one glance tells you everything you need to know.

One caveat - if there are TWO lanes to either side, you must head-check to make sure there is not a car two lanes over moving into the spot you covet.

Thanks for the reassuring info on the Maxi View mirrors . I placed an order Thursday . I gave up on the stem mounted mirrors

I always head check but because I have no vision in my right eye there is no way I can see enough on my right side with a helmet on and I always wear a helmet.

I need mirrors .

I probably could use a wide angle rear view camera

Thanks for the reassuring info on the Maxi View mirrors . I placed an order Thursday . I gave up on the stem mounted mirrors

I always head check but because I have no vision in my right eye there is no way I can see enough on my right side with a helmet on and I always wear a helmet.

I need mirrors .

I probably could use a wide angle rear view camera

You are brave soul to ride with vision in only one eye. You, of course, are aware of your lack of depth perception most of us take for granted and have learned to compensate - though I haven't a clue how you do that. I'm sure you are not the only one-eyed rider out there. Care to start a thread?

I'm surprised that nobody on the other side of of the "head checking VS blind spot mirrors" debate hasn't posted. Be assurred, it takes some time (and maybe a dead-end road with another vehicle) to get your factory mirrors and blind spot mirrors positioned exactly right. But my factory mirrors and Maxi Views never move. Then it takes more time to get used to using both of them with a quick glance AND TRUST THAT GLANCE. What the obstinate head-checkers fail to realize is the time those checks take away from looking ahead - where most of our problems come from.

I hope this info is also helpful when you get your Maxi View mirrors. DO check which part of your OEM mirror gives you the least useful info when it is adjusted to give you the best view to the rear. (The portion of that mirror which displays your shoulder, hands, saddlebags, etc. is where you want to mount the Maxi View.) Clean and dry the mirrors thoroughly before mounting the blind spot mirrors.

Best of luck, and keep us posted.

Huge plus;

I'm a professional driver/rider and with millions of miles driving, riding time in, the spot mirrors are a lifesaver. would not be without them and bikes should come with an option of these added from the get go. Most still ride without these and even many do shoot their own foot, regarding this topic, seeing these mirrors as a bad idea! Each his own. Randy

You are brave soul to ride with vision in only one eye. You, of course, are aware of your lack of depth perception most of us take for granted and have learned to compensate - though I haven't a clue how you do that. I'm sure you are not the only one-eyed rider out there. Care to start a thread?

I will jump in

One eye, no big deal

Everybody uses two types of depth perception, stereo vision (two eyes) and environmental (for lack of a better term) learned. I have never had stereo, I have always looked with one eye at a time?just a vision issue with me. My depth perception is excellent because the brain uses reference points, other objects, known sizes, etc to instantly judge depth. The only exception for me is catching a high pop fly with a crystal clear sky. If there is even one tiny cloud in the sky, the brain computes the distances accurately.

I will say, 3D movies suck for me:laugh

I don't have depth perception ,I guess a lot.

When I took the motorcycle drivers training course I had to guess when it came time to do the hard braking test. The test where you drive up to a line and hit the brakes . I never did get up to the line

I've managed to get over 100,000 miles in since 2007 when I got back into riding using additional mirrors and head checking

As I mentioned in a previous post, I added mirrors to my RT ( two additional mirrors with blind spot mirrors added to them). Now I'm setting up my GS

I'm also blind in one eye & have adjustable spot mirrors on both of my bikes.

Attachments

• Fla. RTE & Shuttle 4-10 008.jpg
    Fla. RTE & Shuttle 4-10 008.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 112
Blind spot mirrors make sense if you are riding a motorcycle with only one eye, because it is next to impossible to do a shoulder check on the affected side. The rest of us should always shoulder check before we change lanes, pass etc. It's best not to trust your mirrors, no matter what you are seeing, confirm it with a shoulder check.

I can't count the number of times I've been preparing to pass a vehicle, checked in my mirror saw nothing, did a shoulder check and saw a vehicle in my blind spot.

Nothing wrong with putting these types of mirrors on your bike, but don't get lazy and trust them with your life.

Got Saddlemans setup duplicated on my RT. It or something like it, necessary IMO.

Plenty of depth perception cues during normal daylight for folks blind in one eye- everything from shadows and sizes and on and on. Where it will get dicier is when the background holds no clues- like that baseball against a cloudless sky or a single headlight coming from total darkness.

I understand the science and physiology of this but am not blind in either eye (far sighted in one, near sighted in the other so my night depth peception needs glasses)- so would like to learn more about how folks who have this problem compensate in such difficult situations.
Is it even possible or does one just avoid such circumstances as much as possible to minimize risk? The human brain can do some truly amazing stuff as is routinely demonstrated by those with various physical issues who can often do or sense things that others cannot..

Back