• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

"Must See's" In the Northwest

Ok guy / gals,

For the long weekend, its going to be me and my motorcycle, heading Northwest out of Iowa. I'm planning on taking it by as it comes with no real plan. But IÔÇÖd like to know of so places ÔÇ£to seeÔÇØ if IÔÇÖm in the area.

Does anyone have a ÔÇ£must seeÔÇØ in North / South Dakota / Montana?

Thank you :thumb

I like Devil's tower in Wyoming, and the needles highway in the black hills. The badlands rock, and if you like fossils, it is a great place to see them.

If you feel the same about corn as Greg Feeler and Fish do about sheep, then a stop at the corn palace in Mitchell, South Dakota is in order.

unless you have to pee or need gas, skip wall drug.

In addition to Loraz' suggestions, I'd add Jewel Cave in the Black Hills. If you like caves, that is.

John

I like Wall Drug. We've wandered thru a couple times when we've stayed overnight in Wall.

Also, if you are going that far, get to Sheridan and ride up and down 14A. Its a fun road.

Jon

Must see

Stop into Black Hills, Crazy Horse Monument, Custer's National Park, Mt. Rushmore,Bear Tooth pass, and Yellowstone. These are all worth your time if you are out in the Northwest.

Beartooth Pass is closed, do a search on this forum for the latest info, and consider Chief Joseph Hwy instead.

Rattlesnake Pass, WA :thumb
A Motorcyclist's nocturnal emmision...
IMG_0460.JPG

My concept of the "northwest" is apparently a little different than yours. I know that some folks think of the Dakotas as "northwest", but I think of anything east of the Rocky Mountains as "midwest". After all, it's just about the same distance from Chicago to Fargo as from Chicago to Washington DC. Then you can double that to get to Bozeman MT, and triple it to get to Seattle or Portland.

With apologies to anyone living in the "midwest" (ND, SD, NE, KS, etc.) it's a long ride between scenic vistas. That's why they have to do things like Wall Drug and the Corn Palace, and Carhenge.

To me, the "real" Northwest starts at about Missoula, and includes BC and Oregon. If you would like to read more about the Northwest, Whitehorse Press has just published a book, "Motorcycle Journeys Through The Pacific Northwest". 800 531-1133

And, one of the perks of being an AAA member (automobile, not alcohol) is their "Tourbooks" and maps. Just show your AAA card, and get everything you need for any state, free. I generally rely on Tourbooks to get a feel for the landscape and sights, and to find lodging and food. My Garmin doesn't do it, and it isn't updated annually, either.

pmdave :thumb

My Idea

Hi I agree with the northwest being west Alberta, British Columbia, West Montana, Idaho, Washington and Oregon. All of these have great places to ride, "God's Country", but then again I live in Vancouver BC so this whole area is my play ground.

pmdave said:
My concept of the "northwest" is apparently a little different than yours. I know that some folks think of the Dakotas as "northwest", but I think of anything east of the Rocky Mountains as "midwest". After all, it's just about the same distance from Chicago to Fargo as from Chicago to Washington DC. Then you can double that to get to Bozeman MT, and triple it to get to Seattle or Portland.

With apologies to anyone living in the "midwest" (ND, SD, NE, KS, etc.) it's a long ride between scenic vistas. That's why they have to do things like Wall Drug and the Corn Palace, and Carhenge.

To me, the "real" Northwest starts at about Missoula, and includes BC and Oregon. If you would like to read more about the Northwest, Whitehorse Press has just published a book, "Motorcycle Journeys Through The Pacific Northwest". 800 531-1133

And, one of the perks of being an AAA member (automobile, not alcohol) is their "Tourbooks" and maps. Just show your AAA card, and get everything you need for any state, free. I generally rely on Tourbooks to get a feel for the landscape and sights, and to find lodging and food. My Garmin doesn't do it, and it isn't updated annually, either.

pmdave :thumb

And California

The farthest west point on the continental United States is Cape Mendicino in California. At this point the San Andreas Fault turns west and cuts toward Hawaii. This is a pretty reasonable break point between the Pacific Northwest and "other" North of this point the Coast Redwoods really come into their range, Generous winter rainfall and steep convoluted mountains are the norm, but the summers dry hot and tar-melting hot. The motorcycle roads there are epic. They claim Sasquatch lives among them, so they must be Pacific Northwest.

North West?

pmdave said:

I have to agree the northwest is B.C, Washington and Oregon ( some would say Alberta and Alaska also! So many things to see we should start a thread on that very subject.

The sandhills of Nebraska are beautiful and absolutely no people. Start around Valentine.

Back