• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Ordered a Schuberth C3 Pro and BMW Bluetooth communicator

RAINEY
I just ordered the C3 Pro and the newest BMW Bluetooth system for the helmet. Once the BMW system comes in my dealer is going to send it to Schubert to have it installed by them.Neither of us wanted to tear apart a new $750.00 helmet to install the system. I wanted this set up to seamlessly work with my R1200RT audio system for music and navigation. I will keep you all posted on how the system works. After spending that kind of money I hope to get the outcome I want.

Jason

Reading between the lines of other posts here and talking to my service advisor, I've learned that the firmware for the BMW unit can be updated--by the dealer service department only. So, I'd think when purchasing a new one, first thing might be to have this done. Well, maybe after installed in the helmet--dealer wanted mine fully charged before I brought it in. Same connector for updating as for charging.

I have no idea what the update accomplishes, but always have the latest is the best approach these days, I'm sure.

I'm currently "in transition" with mine, as I've just converted from NAV IV direct to helmet to listening to NAV IV via BMW radio that I didn't have in previous bike but now have in the new one.

So a problem I've had is that I have Sena SR10 to transmit my radar detector signals to helmet. It works, but when activated completely blocked out the NAV IV. Still awaiting testing with new units and now new firmware.

Have also located a WAY cheaper bluetooth transmitter than Sena SR10 which I might try
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10823&cs_id=1082703&p_id=9722&seq=1&format=2

C3 Pro and BMW Com

Jason,

I, too, am very curious to hear how this goes. I am considering the same set-up for my GTL. Have you worn a standard C3 in the past? I'm curious to hear a comparison of the C3 and the Pro. In the standard C3, I find the large a little too snug and the XL...well, it's huge, like a Jack-in the-Box head. Lol. I have heard the Pro model is slightly more "roomier" than the standard C3 in the same size. Also, doesn't the BMW com system install just like the Schuberth com system? The Schuberth system didn't look all that complcated.

Looking forward to your observations.

Will McHardy

A couple of weeks ago I purchased a K1600GTL (my first BMW bike), Schuberth helmets and BMW Communicators for the missues and me. The dealer didn't want to do the install the same day, so I ended up doing them myself using the instructions they came with. I'm not a patient man. ;-) It took about 90 minutes to do both. The second one went much faster than the first. It was very simple to do, just a little time consuming. I went back and forth for a few days between the SRC and the BMW communicators and decided to go "all in" and purchased the BMWs. I'm very pleased with my choice. One of the main advantages is being able to interact with the helmet via the hand wheel, in addition to the other features that other brands can do.

I asked the dealer about the firmware update because I had read about it on the K1600 forums. They weren't aware of it, but ordered the cable to do it. When the cable arrived it was a serial cable, which wouldn't work with their PCs (they didn't have serial ports). I gave them a serial to USB cable that I had laying around and they were able to use that to update our helmets, which took about 15 minutes (for both). The update provided some significant improvements in audio quality, control responsiveness, etc. I'm very pleased with both the helmets and the communicators. It was quite a bit of cash to drop, but worth it in the end. The C3 is super quiet on the road and has great airflow. It's also very comfortable. We've had our bike for only just over a week and are already pushing 700 miles. I've heard that others didn't like the fit of the C3 so YMMV.

Stephen,
Thanks for the great response with the details. I am looking forward to getting mine. I spoke with my dealer today and I should have my helmet next week. You were a little more brave than I was by doing it yourself.

Jason,

I, too, am very curious to hear how this goes. I am considering the same set-up for my GTL. Have you worn a standard C3 in the past? I'm curious to hear a comparison of the C3 and the Pro. In the standard C3, I find the large a little too snug and the XL...well, it's huge, like a Jack-in the-Box head. Lol. I have heard the Pro model is slightly more "roomier" than the standard C3 in the same size. Also, doesn't the BMW com system install just like the Schuberth com system? The Schuberth system didn't look all that complcated.

Looking forward to your observations.

Will McHardy

Hello Will
I haven't had a Schuberth in the past so I don't have anything to compare the fitment to. Do you have a dealer near by where you can try on the C3 Pro's?

Jason

Stephen,
Thanks for the great response with the details. I am looking forward to getting mine. I spoke with my dealer today and I should have my helmet next week. You were a little more brave than I was by doing it yourself.

My pleasure. Good luck!

Just got mine...

I just received my C3 Pro and after 250 miles, I have to say that I am now convinced I have NEVER had a helmet that fit. This thing in UNBELIEVABLE! Quiet, comfortable, and the airflow is crazy. Even behind an RT windshield half way up, just taping the chin vent floods the inside with air.

I just received my C3 Pro and after 250 miles, I have to say that I am now convinced I have NEVER had a helmet that fit. This thing in UNBELIEVABLE! Quiet, comfortable, and the airflow is crazy. Even behind an RT windshield half way up, just taping the chin vent floods the inside with air.

Schuberth makes a nice helmet. I am uncomfortable with the fact that the full face is a flip. Flip fronts have been shown to pop open sometimes in hard impacts. I don't know if every brand flip faces that possibility but I can't help but think a normal one-piece full face provides for more safety potentially. I've been a full face Arai fan for years and the only helmet I will wear is a full face. Anybody out there ever experience a Schuberth open in a crash?

Schuberth makes a nice helmet. I am uncomfortable with the fact that the full face is a flip. Flip fronts have been shown to pop open sometimes in hard impacts. I don't know if every brand flip faces that possibility but I can't help but think a normal one-piece full face provides for more safety potentially. I've been a full face Arai fan for years and the only helmet I will wear is a full face. Anybody out there ever experience a Schuberth open in a crash?
FWIW - there is a UK testing site that has tested many flip-face helmets. They do test to see if a flip might might open in a crash. If I remember correctly - the Schuberth Concept was one which did not open in a crash. The locking mechanism in the chin section is ALL metal, not plastic. The chin-piece is a substantial piece, not just a cover. I also have never heard of one opening in a crash, or anyone experiencing the chin section failing in a crash. I have heard good to glowing reports on the Concept's performance in crashes.

To me - it's not a concern, at all.

You'll probably hear now from people saying "Well -Snell hasn't tested one.." - which is not quite accurate. They actually have tested (and approved) one flip-face helmet (not a Schuberth so far.) And the reason they haven't tested others is the manufacturer must pay the cost of the testing and certification (and in return can use the Snell name in advertising and on a tag inside the helmet.) So far - the majority of flip face helmet manufacturers have not seen any benefit to having Snell test their helmets.

Flip Helmet Safety

Australian Standards have successfully tested several Flip helmets, BMW, Schoei, Nolanand others, but not Schubert. I think the Flip helmet scare is an old wives tale.
best regards
Paul

Australian Standards have successfully tested several Flip helmets, BMW, Schoei, Nolanand others, but not Schubert. I think the Flip helmet scare is an old wives tale.
best regards
Paul

Actually flip's opening is a fact albeit a rare one. I have no doubt my head drives me towards a one-piece as opposed to 2-piece.

Checked out the Schuberth 1-piece through internet pictures and they do look nice. I think I like the concept of tight neck rolls for all the reasons discussed in those reviews. I'm not sure my head in particular is worth the $900 nor am I sure I can pull myself away from the Arai's. I have never purchased a helmet minus a SNELL sticker and that goes all the way back to the Bell Star when those retailed out at $59.95 so that's another head issue of mine.

One helmet I do miss is the old full face Simpson vented pig snouts. Super light and looked very different back in the day. Also, super expensive but I pony'd up for one of them and loved it. Perhaps I need time for the idea of owning a Schuberth to meld into my mindless mind. I need time to think...

Wish I had known

I just ordered the C3 Pro and the newest BMW Bluetooth system for the helmet. Once the BMW system comes in my dealer is going to send it to Schubert to have it installed by them.Neither of us wanted to tear apart a new $750.00 helmet to install the system. I wanted this set up to seamlessly work with my R1200RT audio system for music and navigation. I will keep you all posted on how the system works. After spending that kind of money I hope to get the outcome I want.

Jason

I just purchased a new 2013 R1200RT and the Schuberth C3 with the Schuberth Bluetooth. Little did I know, or the dealer apparently, that this configuration does not work with the R1200RT audio system.

I just purchased a new 2013 R1200RT and the Schuberth C3 with the Schuberth Bluetooth. Little did I know, or the dealer apparently, that this configuration does not work with the R1200RT audio system.

Yes that is a bummer. I was hoping the Schuberth SRC worked with the RT audio system to make the whole process easier. I did lots of research and the dealer verified my findings and ordered the BMW ACN Comm Kit part number 71602219827. Schuberth charged $60.00 to install it in my helmet and covered my shipping from California to Michigan.

I just picked it up today. I will report back in once I test it out.

Good luck

I crashed 12 years ago with a Nolan modular.....it did not open !! Have worn Nolans forever (since I first saw one) ..... Bought a Schubert this time....Absolutely no comparison...The C3 is a much better fit.....sssoooooo quiet ans much lighter.....better ventilation.....Why did I wait this long ?? I put Sierra electronics in it because I also ride a Gold Wing ..... The cords hook right up to it.....and a portable CB/i pod on my 700 GS.....

Tried it out, synced it and it works as described

Well I picked up the helmet today from the dealer. Got home and gave it a good look over. Schuberth did an excellent job installing the BMW Communicator System. All wires are tucked and hidden where they're supposed to be. Microphone boom is in place and works. It took me a while to get the helmet synced with the 2012 BMW R1200RT but one I figured out all the steps it went smoothly. I was then able to hear the audio system through the helmet speakers. Everything went through as I wanted. iPod music, XM/Sirius, FM Radio, weather band and the BMW Nav IV which is hard connected to the audio system. After all that worked I paired my iPhone V to see how that worked. I probably won't use it while riding but it worked perfectly when I made a test call. I guess it will be nice if I'm making a quick stop to call home with an update I won't have to remove my helmet.

This set up is fairly expensive but work it if you want the ability to enjoy the creature comforts you have included on your BMW or even hearing your navigation system. You can also stream music to it if you don't have the audio system on your bike. Full retail this set up is around $1,222.00 and an additional $60.00 for Schuberth to install.

Feel free to ask any questions. I also don't need the "your crazy for spending so much" or "that's ridiculous to have such a set up"

Best regards,
Jason

Here's a couple of pictures

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 1,953
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 1,734
A lot of good info Jason- Thanks for the effort to let us here at the forum know! Like Jane, I have been running a Nolan- N103 for years and like it. I is the first modular I have used and it does have wind noise- how much? I don't know as I had nothing to compare it to. I sounds like the C3 is a helmet that may make riding more enjoyable. Gary

Back