• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

I won't always stop here.

Good read. I just moved to California last week and am very much enjoying the lane splitting / filtering :brow I've done it here before and I still can't believe that it's such a taboo thing in most other parts of the US.

I had suggested a Commuter's topic in this site maybe 6 months ago. While I thought it would be valuable (or at least a place to hang out and share ups and downs), it must not have seemed viable to the mods.

Perhaps the demographics have switched from daily riding to off-road and pleasure riding over the years. I will be sure to open the above link once at home, as the firewall won't let me open the link at work.

I just think it's the nature of the US rider community for the most part. Generally speaking motorcycles aren't seen as a "serious" form of transportation, instead it's seen as mearly a toy and a luxury item and something you only use to have fun. Of course even commuting on a motorcycle is fun for lots of us but for others not so much. For many others it's simply a social tool. It's used to gain entry into a certain group and is an excuse for those people to get together and socialize.

Dunno there's a lot to it but what it comes down to is that in the US bikes are "serious" transportation in the minds of most people.

MM - this is a fine piece; it does articulate the one reason why I actually enjoy my commute in the summer on the bike and yet absolutely do not enjoy it in my car in winter; even though it is a Bimmer...

I had suggested a Commuter's topic in this site maybe 6 months ago. While I thought it would be valuable (or at least a place to hang out and share ups and downs), it must not have seemed viable to the mods.

Perhaps the demographics have switched from daily riding to off-road and pleasure riding over the years. I will be sure to open the above link once at home, as the firewall won't let me open the link at work.
Actually we did discuss the commuter's area and a move like that takes a while to really shake out. We try not to "fragment" the forums any more then they are. Thanks, Gary

I would wonder if any that discussed the idea of a Commuter's Corner were, in fact, commuters...?

Though, of course - not to hijack the thread, there was a nice article on the ON magazine a few years back about commuting in the Big Apple.

The majority of my motorcycle miles are done commuting. The article linked is pretty realistic, there's not a lot of glory or fun in most commutes, mine included. Motorcycles are a primary source of transportation in many European countries, but not so much here in the U.S.

With ever-rising fuel prices, this may continue to change.

All that said, I really enjoy using my motorcycle for commuting purposes, although since I work conventional hours, this means I have to ride freeways during rush hours, which very often isn't very enjoyable.

Back