• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R60/5 Throttle Cables

kentuvman

Moving along, the throttle & cam gears were shot so ordered new parts & tonight installed new Magura throttle grip & cam.

It seems to me the throttle cables are too long - I snapped a picture - the other issue is the throttle isn't snappy like my R65LS - on that project she got new throttle cables and a grip & cam set.

Next question: this bike has two individual throttle cables - there is a top and bottom position where the cables attach to the cam - is there a right and a left position? It may be in the Clymer & Haynes service manuals but I didn't catch it.

Here are the pics - I'm really thinking these throttle cables are too long :hungover

Attachments

• cables.jpg
    cables.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 96
Here's where the two throttle cable attach to the throttle cam - wondering if there is a right and a left position?

Attachments

• R60 Controls.jpg
    R60 Controls.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 95
Here's a pic of my handlebars - I looked at the various styles on Hucky's site - can't really tell what style they are.

Attachments

• handlebars.jpg
    handlebars.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 95
No left or right position on the cable hookup inside the throttle housing. I just went through this on my R69S. The cam/chain mechanism just pulls both cables evenly.

As for cable length, I know the cables can be too short. I that case, they make a tight turn going into the top of the carb...not good. Plus the cables can get pulled when turning the handlebars. But being too long is not necessarily a bad thing, unless they're way too long and flop all over the place.

No left or right position on the cable hookup inside the throttle housing. I just went through this on my R69S. The cam/chain mechanism just pulls both cables evenly.

As for cable length, I know the cables can be too short. I that case, they make a tight turn going into the top of the carb...not good. Plus the cables can get pulled when turning the handlebars. But being too long is not necessarily a bad thing, unless they're way too long and flop all over the place.

Makes sense, Kurt - can /5 be lubed - they look okay but are not snapping back when I release throttle - throttle stop screw is removed :banghead

I may invest in a new set of cables - these may be oem - from appearance they look good - will tinker a bit more

Check for binding with the grip and throttle tube. If you have the grip too close to the throttle housing, that will hang it up.

Do the cables move freely out of the bike? The cables shouldn't need lube, especially not new. Lubing might be something you would do as a last resort on old cables. IIRC, OEM cables have a special lining while doesn't need to be lubed.

Do the cables move freely out of the bike? The cables shouldn't need lube, especially not new. Lubing might be something you would do as a last resort on old cables. IIRC, OEM cables have a special lining while doesn't need to be lubed.

I'll check cables when I remove carbs - just ordered an Ultrasonic cleaner from Harbor Freight - the carbs need a good cleaning! The cables are not new. I sent an email to Hans @ Hucky's with a pic of my handlebar & s/n of bike to confirm correct throttle cable length. I'll get to the bottom of this!

Hans confirms throttle cables too long - going to invest in a new pair - as Lew said awhile back, he'd bet a dollar to donuts they're probably shot!

As to cables on a /5 I have a question of choices. My situation- I just got a pkg from Flanders in the mail today of components to make up the 3 new cables for my Bultaco project. They are the nylon lined style of outer cable/conduit.I'll have these in place for much less than any other choice available to me. So, what are the better cable choices for my /5 project based on both cost and function, assuming I want them to look new as well?

I ordered mine from Hans @ Hucky BMW in Vero Beach, FL - sent a picture of my handlebars & he confirmed they're the Euro version - they were very reasonable like @ $15 a cable (guessing). Fast delivery and they work perfect - look nice too.

The components alone cost ~$30 for the 3 cables I'm putting together now & they are bit lighter wire than an airhead, so thats a good value.

Ken, as to the issues about the throttle "snapping back", if memory serves on your /5 you do have CV carbs but they may not have springs on the slide. Your R65 does I believe. Just pull the top off of one carb on each bike to check.

Snappy Throttle

Ken, as to the issues about the throttle "snapping back", if memory serves on your /5 you do have CV carbs but they may not have springs on the slide. Your R65 does I believe. Just pull the top off of one carb on each bike to check.

Hi Mike

Throttle snaps back now that I have the right length cables, new throttle & cam assembly - the frosting was loosening the throttle perch and making some adjustments - throttle action is now beautiful.:)

Carbs are Bing Type 53

Back