• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R1100RT Bowden Box Removal

happy wanderer

Day Dreaming ...
Has anyone successfully removed the Bowden Throttle cable box from an 1100RT without lifting the tail and battery box?

The Bowden is in the tail/center area? On my R11S, it's above/behind the alternator. A pain to get to, it required unbolting the steering neck section.

Do you need to remove the box or just get to the workings? If you lift the gas tank and release the throttle and choke cable you can remove the "insides". To remove the whole box would require more stiff to have to come off.

On the 1100RT it is under the battery box. In order to swap throttle cables it needs to come out since they attach in there. I know it can be pulled out from the side on a GS but can't really see how it could be on an RT.

Do you need to remove the box or just get to the workings? If you lift the gas tank and release the throttle and choke cable you can remove the "insides". To remove the whole box would require more stiff to have to come off.

i can't quite imagine/see replacing the cables without removing the box itself. have you actually done that, or was that just a theoretical recommendation?

The Bowden box exits the bike on the right side. Remove both side panels, fuel tank, and anything in the way under where the tank was on the right side (hose), disconnect the choke cable at the handle bars and bang it out (gently) from the left side using a wooden dowel or the like. It comes right out.

Last edited:
there's a nice write up on it but don't remember where maybe adv forum, but like norton said.....is correct short version

Thanks guys. I took another look at it today in the sunshine and it looks like once the tank electrical connector, fuel lines and a couple of wire harness enclosures are shoved out of the way it will come out the right side. I know from a spare I have there is a tab hiding in there that holds it in the box once it slides in there. I can see why a BMW mechanic I know dreads this job. It's really buried in there and yes indeed it has to come out to put new throttle cables in.

Rabber-Snabber Bowden Box!

Hello. As Norton mentioned, I had to disassemble the left hand grip on my 1150RTP to allow enough slack in the choke cable to get the Bowden box out the right side. There's a metal retaining clip that must be pressed down into an interfering obstruction on the right side to slide the box out. Yes, it's a nuisance to access, but most of the effort is in taking off the tupperware. Think of the experience you're getting!

New cables made a marked improvement.

I'm gonna be in there again this year to install a cruise control and change out the QDs. Oh, happy happy, joy joy.

Cheers!
Tom in Vernon (BC, that is)

Back