• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Heidenau tires

georgej

Does anyone have any experience with these tires?I saw them on Bob's website.I like the look of the tread pattern.I'm thinking of replacing the Metzler Lazertecs on my R100RS with these.I'm not trying to start another "best tire for airhead" thread.I just want to know of anyone's experience with the Heidenau.
Thanks,George

Last longer?

I did not know they made the street tires too! I just inquired about the offroad ones for my GSA1200 and apparently they go another 2-3000 miles further than all the competitors and still handle really swell. Expensive, but IF one can get more miles, go figure:). My oldie R100/7 needs tires too and have been using the Dunlops for decades on her with much happiness. Current D404's are very good handlers, but do NOT last a lot of miles, maybe 6-7000 miles on these. Price is right, under 100$ per tire at Cycle Gear. MY BMW likes these a lot. I will probably get the Hiedenau's next for the GSA and they run 320$ for the set, ME doing the install. Over 400$ at dealer doing all the work. Randy

Have this brand on my Ural. Aggressive pattern and profile for mud, snow & dirt. I do not know anything about the road tires specifically but I can tell you they do not wear out as quickly as other tires I have had on that bike. I think mine are called K37's. On-and-off road duty.
They were not cheap.

mike wex
'96r1100rt

Not sure which tire you are thinking of. I had a pair of Heidenau K60 tires on my R100RT. The rear tire wore out pretty quickly at 4K miles but the front is hardly showing any wear at all, now at 10K miles. I'm thinking that the rear wore out since I used the BMW recommended air pressure which may have been too low for these tires. The tread pattern works great for gravel roads which is why I got them. There is a little hum from the tires but not much vibration. All this was before I added the hack though I'm still running the K60 on the front.

Thanks guys for the replies.The ones on Bob's BMW website are the K34 for the front and the K36 for the rear.

By chance I just mounted a Heidenau k37 earlier today (not on a BMW). It was raining outside so I had to do it on my basement floor on a bunch of cardboard. That is one tough tire to put on a rim manually. Very thick sidewalls and no compromise rim lip. By the time I was finished I felt like I had wrestled an alligator.

mike wex
'96r1100rt

Heidenau K36

Greetings,
I installed a Heidenau K36 (rear) on my R90/6 at the Bloomsburg National in July of 2011. That is to say the vendor dismounted/mounted the tire & I did the R&R on the bike. The tread looks to me like that of an older Metzler tire. I keep the pressure at about 38psi.

The center groove was 6/32 when I arrived home 700 mi later.

I now have 5,500 miles on the tire. The center groove now measures 3/32.

I calculate this to mean that I have 1/32 before I am at the legal minimum of 2/32 (some feel that 4/32 minimum provides a much better traction/safety than the legal minimum).

All things remaining equal, I should have about 1800 miles left on the tire for a total life expectancy of about 7,300 miles.

Of the mileage, about 800 miles were towing a Harbor Freight trailer. I seldom ride two up.

I have no complaint other than I would like to get more distance before replacement.

YMMV

I bought a set of Heidenaus from Bob's for my '75 R90/6. Haven't gotten more than a couple hundred miles on them yet, but I certainly like what I'm feeling so far and they look great on the bike. Good grip on both dry and wet pavement, even during break in. Since I have the spoked rims, I require tubes (which is always a PITA to mount) but there was a weird situation where the bead set too deep in one section of the rear. I broke the bead and tried to reset it, but couldn't get it to go correctly. Took it to my local shop and had them work on it. They said they had to fight with it a bit, but they got it to seat correctly. Probably had more to do with my rims than the tires, but once they were on there correctly, they feel great. I'll let you know what I think again after I get a chance to really ride them properly.

I'm thinking about either the K-60s or K-76s now for when I need new rubber on my R1200GS. Apparently they last a long time and have less performance trade off than many other tires which boast long wear. Just trying to decide if I really am going to do more off road riding or if I'm going to stick to mostly pavement. With the stock Metzler's on there now, I haven't had much of a choice yet. :scratch

I bought a set of Heidenaus from Bob's for my '75 R90/6. Haven't gotten more than a couple hundred miles on them yet, but I certainly like what I'm feeling so far and they look great on the bike. Good grip on both dry and wet pavement, even during break in. Since I have the spoked rims, I require tubes (which is always a PITA to mount) but there was a weird situation where the bead set too deep in one section of the rear. I broke the bead and tried to reset it, but couldn't get it to go correctly. Took it to my local shop and had them work on it. They said they had to fight with it a bit, but they got it to seat correctly. Probably had more to do with my rims than the tires, but once they were on there correctly, they feel great. I'll let you know what I think again after I get a chance to really ride them properly.

I'm thinking about either the K-60s or K-76s now for when I need new rubber on my R1200GS. Apparently they last a long time and have less performance trade off than many other tires which boast long wear. Just trying to decide if I really am going to do more off road riding or if I'm going to stick to mostly pavement. With the stock Metzler's on there now, I haven't had much of a choice yet. :scratch
Welcome to the forum! Good info on the Heidenaus, I'm going to try one on the rear of my F800.
Gary

The fellas up at Adventure Cycle Works in Fairbanks sell quite a few Heidenaus, mostly K60s. My wife bought some for her F650GS from them and was admonished about running too much air in them. Their position is that the Heidenaus should be run at lower pessures due to the rigidity of the tires' side walls, running too much tires results in premature squaring off of the tires. I can attest to the Heidenaus being a very stiff tire, since I have dismounted and remounted them for her a few times. She runs them about 3-4 PSI under the BMW recommended pressures and has had them a long time. I've lost track of the mileage on them due to the on and off use they've received. They certainly wear better than TKC-80s and are much better than Tourances, Battleaxes or Anakees in the dirt. A good comprimise tire between the two ends of the tire spectrum provided above.

I've been running a Heidenau K36 on the rear, Dunlop K70 front, on my 79R100. They are a beast to install w/ tubes according to my mech, as stated thick hard sidewall. After just under 5000 mi. I'm still happy with it. Should easily go another 4k. Good traction on secondary dirt-gravel roads, handles nice in the corners.
Paid around $135. with free ship from Cedar Rapids tire. I'm 210lbs. usually ride one-up with medium amount of gear. 34psi f. 36psi r. works for me.DSCF3447.jpg

Back