• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

bike parking at beer tent

bertbrumfield

Since most of us will not be staying at the campus, how and where is the parking for the beer tent? Will there be a big enough area for group shots of the different brands that are planning to meet there Friday night????

:dunno :beer
:fart

Parking is at the parking lots at the college. You cannot reserve or rope off areas to save for friends or associates in the parking lot. There should be enough space for gathering. Show up early if you want to group your bikes together for a photo.

josh

Beer tent parking

A lot of the parking at the U of C will already be taken up by those camping there. There won't be a lot of extra room for "group reservations".

Limited space was another consideration in setting up the free shuttle bus service, in addition to the obvious one of not wanting perople to drink and ride.

Please consider using the shuttle to get to the Beer Tent rather than riding. The buses will be running continuously from 1800-0045. Details will be in the Rally program

Does this mean that you can't park your bikes next to your tent? Is the parking lot far from the camping area?

Bike parking at the U of C

This has been discussed in a number of different threads at a number of different times.

The answer is still the same. NO, you can not park your bike on the grass next to your tent at the U of C.

If you must have your bike next to your tent, then you must camp at the Magic Island or the Northgate Business park areas.

PS: No wheeled vehicles of any kind on the grass at the U of C, this includes towed camping trailers as well.

Re: Bike parking at the U of C

Michael Friedle said:
This has been discussed in a number of different threads at a number of different times.

The answer is still the same. NO, you can not park your bike on the grass next to your tent at the U of C.

Michael, excuse me, but IMHO, this kind of info should have been up front info on the web site, not something you have to search for and then wade through two pages of hits in the forum to sort out.

I had never searched for this before because plans were to hotel it until work intervened. The forum is great and helped me figure this out, but I had always just assumed after doing 3 other MOA rallies that camping would be about the same as the others.

Thanks,

Phil

Re: Re: Bike parking at the U of C

philspace said:
Michael, excuse me, but IMHO, this kind of info should have been up front info on the web site, not something you have to search for and then wade through two pages of hits in the forum to sort out.

I had never searched for this before because plans were to hotel it until work intervened. The forum is great and helped me figure this out, but I had always just assumed after doing 3 other MOA rallies that camping would be about the same as the others.

Thanks,

Phil

Givem hell phil :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

Re: Bike parking at the U of C

I read now, on Sunday, that I cannot camp my Kwip Kamp camper on the U of C grounds to enjoy the beer garden because of 2 wheels? How does my 2 wheels under my bed interfere with the other tenters? Why was this not posted until now?? Complete BS!

Michael Friedle said:

If you must have your bike next to your tent, then you must camp at the Magic Island or the Northgate Business park areas.

PS: No wheeled vehicles of any kind on the grass at the U of C, this includes towed camping trailers as well.

Re: Re: Bike parking at the U of C

Karen in OH said:
I read now, on Sunday, that I cannot camp my Kwip Kamp camper on the U of C grounds to enjoy the beer garden because of 2 wheels? How does my 2 wheels under my bed interfere with the other tenters? Why was this not posted until now?? Complete BS!

Amen sister. This isn't a "rally" - it's a "hotel gathering". After many moons in the Army I learned to really hate tents, but the one great things about camping at a rally is getting to meet people - this sorta defeats the whole purpose. If you don't run into sombody at the vendor area or while drinking beer or at the hotel bar - oh well.:banghead :mblah :huh

Tent Campers

This forum has been very difficult to follow, I have yet to figure out without a large amount of searching, what I have & haven't already read.
The question was asked long ago & never answered until a different thread, how small camping trailers would be handled. I now find 4 days before the rally, I can't park it!!
I, my husband, sister and bro-n-law, have already riden to Charleston, two weeks ago, to scope out the camping situation, I have 2-1/2 days to work before leaving for what I thought was going to be another excellent rally, practically in my back yard.
Michael Friedle has answered every question posted with a very defensive and oftentimes sarcastic answer, if not skipping over it altogether if it is not a popular subject. I think he knew from last years response at the closing ceremony, that he was not going to be a very popular person, no matter how you spin it! The split location is a joke, but I was one of the naysayers that still said I would be there to support the rally, and try to have a good time, since the area is so wonderful! Hah! What was I trying to convince myself of, he has know since the ink was wet, how limited the camping would be.
What about the riders who don't have access to this forum, when they appear at the campus, trailer in tow, are they going to be turned away?
This rally has been a very sore spot for a lot of long time rally goers, and it just seems to be getting worse.
I cannot believe that no one knew months ago(before registration was closed) that tent trailers would not be permitted at the campus. Now the powers that be have already left for the rally! I am so furious, I would love to know how to get my pre-registration back for at least my 4 family members, this is an abomination.
MJ & Dave Hensley, Columbus, OH

Re: Re: Re: Bike parking at the U of C

philspace said:
Amen sister. This isn't a "rally" - it's a "hotel gathering". After many moons in the Army I learned to really hate tents, but the one great things about camping at a rally is getting to meet people - this sorta defeats the whole purpose. If you don't run into sombody at the vendor area or while drinking beer or at the hotel bar - oh well.:banghead :mblah :huh

Givem hell Phil , this will be my first rally and its nice to see the organizers are so helpfull and friendly.

tell us again where the trailer campers shower and four days of portapotties should be lovely :p :clap :p :clap

rally

You can set up your trailer at Magic Island or the hilltop camping. Pre-registrations refunds are available from the MOA office afterthe rally is over.

Dear unregistered,
That would then mean that the "Quiet family camping area" is no longer.
I found where the original question was posted under "camping at the rally" by mabugner on March 28-over 3mos ago, questioning camping trailers and was never addressed.
When I was in Charleston, 2 wks ago today, there was a car show on the grass along the riverfront. That is why I am shocked that it now comes up after many people have already left their homes en route, that trailers are brought up and denied!
It's good enough for antique Packards but not for camping?

MJ in OH said:
Dear unregistered,
That would then mean that the "Quiet family camping area" is no longer.
I found where the original question was posted under "camping at the rally" by mabugner on March 28-over 3mos ago, questioning camping trailers and was never addressed.
When I was in Charleston, 2 wks ago today, there was a car show on the grass along the riverfront. That is why I am shocked that it now comes up after many people have already left their homes en route, that trailers are brought up and denied!
It's good enough for antique Packards but not for camping?

they saved a special field in an industrial park for the "primitive campers "that means no facilities just porto johns . REMEMBER ITS WEST VIRGINIA:eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek

By the way unregistered whoever you are, I contacted MOA in MO this afternoon, the only person who can give a refund is Ray Zimmerman, and it is on a case by case basis. He is on his way, assume arrived, to Charleston.

Camping trailers @ U of C

Hey folks, this problem is not a newly-hatched problem. I posted a question about camping trailers on this Forum back on May 7. Michael gave me a response the next day when he said that trailer tires could not be on the grass, but you could set up your tent trailer in a shady part of the parking lot. That is how I plan on using my trailer at the University--I will arrive on Wednesday and find a somewhat-shady corner of a parking area to set my Bunkhouse up (heavy duty tarp under my tent floor to keep away pavement damage). It is not perfect, but no rally ever is.

Check out some of the earlier postings-some of us have been asking questions for a while now, and most of them have been somewhat answered already.http://forums.bmwmoa.org/images/smilies/huh.gif

Sorry Rev Willy, I saw the original question about the trailers on 03/28 and waited patiently for a reply. As I stated earlier, this forum has in my opinion been difficult to follow, as compared to previous years. Since no reply was posted under camping questions, I assssssumed that meant it wasnt worthy of a reply. We were down there 2 wks ago Sunday & a car show was going on! Thus--if cars can park there, why can't we push our trailers in? I can very much understand why bikes aren't going to be permitted, for one, there isn't that much room, & it would be very easy to get landlocked.
Hope to see you at the beer garten.

MJ,

If you register, the forum will keep track of which threads and posts you've seen. When you log in, you'll be able to click a button that says "Show New Posts". This will keep you from having to wade through all the active threads and try to find the new posts. When you're done looking at the list, you'll be able to "Mark All Posts Read". Next time you log in, you'll be able to see the new posts really easily.

It's much easier to manage the forum that way and won't take you more than a couple minutes to do. I assume you're already an MOA member, so registration for the forum is part of your benefits. This forum will remain active all year, so it's not just for the rally.

I trust we'll see you there?

:clap

Dave

Dave, thanks for letting me know, I was going to something about last unread post & it wasn't working for me.
We went, stayed at RV park, no shuttle service there, couldn't find anyone in the dark at the beer garten, anyway. Only time I found someone was at the Civic Center, where we had to drive everyday & pay $3 to check door prize & 50/50 winning numbers.
Boy, I don't ever want to go through this again. I think a lot of things(hopefully) have been learned by the powers that be.

what do you mean "pay $3 every day " to check door prize tickets??????

Back