• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

IBA Spring Meeting & Battlefield 1000 ride report

CaptRehkopf

For your enjoyment. If there are any grievous errors please let me know. Also this was written for non-LD Riders thus the explanations for the ride criteria, etc.

IRON BUTT ASSOCIATION 2013 SPRING MEETING (PIZZA PARTY)
AND BATTLEFIELD 1000 RIDE

Hi Club Members and Riders,
I will start this ride report with what I think is one of the most fantastic ride story out there, the 31-N-31. What this means is Harley Rider Dave Zien rode 31,000 miles in 31 days (31-N-31) on a 1991 Harley-Davidson FXRT -- the one he famously rode for 1 million miles. It now is displayed at the Sturgis Motorcycle Museum & Hall of Fame. At the banquet dinner the anecdotal information regarding what the Harley tech said before the 31-N-31 ride was amazing. Basically the Tech said he wouldnÔÇÖt trust it to ride around the block. I have run into Dave several times over the years and talked to him a few times, but I wonÔÇÖt forget the first time I met/saw him. I was leaving an IBA banquet and he was in front of me and I happen to notice his HOG Mileage patches/rockers, and at that time I believe he had 1,500,000 HOG miles! You know many of us are proud of our mileage or number of certificated rides, BUT youÔÇÖve just got to step back and be awed by his accomplishment(s), I am anyway. And if IÔÇÖm not mistaken when I read the article about Dave he actually has done about 33,000 miles in 29 or 30 days but his bike broke down and couldnÔÇÖt be fixed therefore he stopped on day 31. Can I say again amazing!

Now to my Battlefield 1000 ride report. The ride had 90 registered riders but because of some snow up north some IBA members couldnÔÇÖt make Jacksonville for the ride start. The end results were 82 finishers, and 2 DNFs. IÔÇÖm not sure how many first time Saddle Sore (1000 miles/24 hours) riders there were but there were a goodly number. The reason I say this is because the normal Saddle Sore (SS) is done without gathering bonus locations along the route. In the Battlefield 1000 route there were 11 bonuses to be collected which required time to stop and take a picture of the bonus with your Rally flag to document gathering the bonus. This procedure is common to most riding rallyÔÇÖs requiring documentation of the ride, BUT bonus gathering isnÔÇÖt required for a normal SS ride, although other documentation like gas receipts, etc. are. In addition to requiring bonuses for this ride, the ride itself according to some (me) was 1130 miles not 1000 miles. Some even rode 1200 miles! So my hat is off to all the first time riders finishing the Battlefield 1000. They not only rode further than required, and listening to some talk, further than they thought they could; they also added the gathering of bonuses. Well done I say.

My Battlefield 1000 ride was a complete success, I made it all the way there and all the way back in 20:57 hours. I had scouted out three bonuses on my ride to Jax so I knew where to go when I gather those bonus at night. However, it was really weird, I never rode with another rider and only saw a few at the beginning, but we were like bees around a nest at the bonus stops. I believe there was somebody at every bonus taking pictures when I arrived or left, which was nice to chat for a minute or two and swap ride tales (Police trap(s) from the bridges in Tifton, GA., deer, etc.).

The return trip to Memphis for me was full of potential disaster. I had scheduled to eat lunch in St. Augustine with an old professor of mine when my wife called and said the weather is bad and going to be worse and it is heading my way! However, just before I left Memphis I had added NEXRAD radar to my GPSMAP 478 and boy IÔÇÖm glad I did. My return trip from St. Augustine to Memphis was one of missing ÔÇÿredÔÇÖ radar images. I was very fortunate to have missed the worst part of the front but did revise routes several times and make it home safely about 0130. Good times were had by all; and IÔÇÖll be back next year.

Ride Safe,
Robert
Ps, I ask for you support and vote in the upcoming BMWMOA Board of Directors election.

Back