• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

F800gt

matchless1227

Hi folks,
Long timer rider and bike owner just got rid of my 2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050 and bought a F800GT in white.
Got it fully loaded with all the bells and whistles and it will be ready for pickup in a few days.
My demo ride was short as it was cold and very windy yesterday but the bike seemed to fit me nicely. Also got the comfort seat which seemed decent but time will tell.
My main concerns were power output and fuel range so any feedback would be most helpful. Also there seems to be some windscreen/wind issues discussed on this forum so I checked Twisted Throttle to see if they had a windscreen like I had on my Triumph (MRA Vario) that I loved. They have one for the F800 ST but I do not know if that will fit on the GT?? If anyone knows the answer I would love to hear from you.
Anyway hello all.

Hi folks,
Long timer rider and bike owner just got rid of my 2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050 and bought a F800GT in white.
Got it fully loaded with all the bells and whistles and it will be ready for pickup in a few days.
My demo ride was short as it was cold and very windy yesterday but the bike seemed to fit me nicely. Also got the comfort seat which seemed decent but time will tell.
My main concerns were power output and fuel range so any feedback would be most helpful. Also there seems to be some windscreen/wind issues discussed on this forum so I checked Twisted Throttle to see if they had a windscreen like I had on my Triumph (MRA Vario) that I loved. They have one for the F800 ST but I do not know if that will fit on the GT?? If anyone knows the answer I would love to hear from you.
Anyway hello all.

Try the F800 Rider forum.I would ride it for a month or so with the stock one first to see if you like it. See where the wind hit you, chest, top or bottom of your helmet, some people like this. I like over the head myself. :wave:wave

wind

The best advice on windscreens is to use the standard one for 5,000 miles and in all conditions until you are sure that the people who made the motorcycle got the windscreen wrong. Then experiment from there.

I impulsively bought a new windscreen for my F800ST almost immediately and went back to the stock within a week.

Rick

I have been riding my new F800GT for 2 weeks. I needed to change some of the ergonomics, added lower pegs from Suburban Machinery. They do not have something specific for the GT as of yet, since BMW changed something with the side stand. Their ST kit will fit with some interferance with the sidestand. New part in development.

Checked on a taller windshield. I am 6'5" and sit pretty high on the bike. Speeds over 65 become an issue. The ST windshield will not fit.

The seat will be another issue, so when I have the time, I will send to Russell to work their magic.

Fuel economy is running in the high 40's and been pretty consistant.

Happy so far with the bike. Adding farkles as I have time. Need to add a fuel cell to gain some distance. Right now I can go a little over 188 miles on a tank down into the reserve. Need more distance living in the west, since fuel stations can be far apart at times. Going to do the SS1000 to the rally from Kingman. A fuel cell will be very helpfull on that ride.

Needed to downsize from my GSA and happy so far with that decision.

bob

I have been riding my new F800GT for 2 weeks. I needed to change some of the ergonomics, added lower pegs from Suburban Machinery. They do not have something specific for the GT as of yet, since BMW changed something with the side stand. Their ST kit will fit with some interferance with the sidestand. New part in development.

Checked on a taller windshield. I am 6'5" and sit pretty high on the bike. Speeds over 65 become an issue. The ST windshield will not fit.

The seat will be another issue, so when I have the time, I will send to Russell to work their magic.

Happy so far with the bike. Adding farkles as I have time. Need to add a fuel cell to gain some distance. Right now I can go a little over 188 miles on a tank down into the reserve. Need more distance living in the west, since fuel stations can be far apart at times. Going to do the SS1000 to the rally from Kingman. A fuel cell will be very helpfull on that ride.

bob

Try talking Madstead for the windshield and see if they can help you.:wave:wave:) Do you need mirror extender for the GT, almost all ST do? For seats try Mr. Ed's Moto, Rich Mayer and Bill Mayer.

That 800 makes nice power and has more than enough speed capability. Doubt there is any point even thinking about messing with it unless you have a big budget and don't mind being the first..(There is not a lot of data for the 800GS version).

Be interested to hear what sort of added fuel capacity can be fitted- no such thing as too much range...

bob

Fuel cell should be dirt simple on this bike since the tank is under the seat. I've kicked around the idea a few times of mounting one of about 2 gallons to the rear seat area but I use that a lot on longer trips. Rear seat installation would simply mean gravity feed into the tank via a short line. Keep it really simple and just use an on/off valve instead of trying to use some kind of electric pump or valve. Wait till you are at half a tank then throw the lever and keep on trucking.

Bike makes plenty o' power and you aren't going to find a whole lot out there to hop it up. New air filter and a new exhaust with some kind of fuel management is going to be your only real options. Fuel mileage on the stock bike should be between 45 and 60 MPG. It's going to depend on your riding style and load and all those other factors that go into fuel mileage.

Thank you to those offering suggestions for my seat and fuel cell, and windshieldl issue. I have had pleasent experiences with both Rocky and Russell Day Long. Will go with a Russell Day long in the near future. I have a contact in Chula Vista Ca (San Diego area) who is constructing a 4.4 gal fuel cell for the bike. Should be ready in a couple of weeks. Fuel feed between the cell and main tank is not an issue. Performed a simular addition to a F650GS thumper a few years back that was quite easy.

Aftermarket windshield manufactures are still in the development stage for the GT. It will be a while for something to be on the market. I will need mirror extenders since right now I have a great view of my elbows. I think the ST parts will fit. Going to check this weekend.

bob

The F800ST is Great! It will be hard for the F800GT to beat it!

I bought my F800ST out of the box in 2007. I have never regretted the purchase. My dealer keeps trying to talk me into "upgrading" to the F800GT, but "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". My average year around mileage has been in the low 50's, with highs in the low 60's. I have seen miles on a tank exceeding 200 miles, more than enough butt time between gas stops. From what I have seen and heard of the F800GT, it is a simple upgrade of the best features of the ST. They have added the traction control and suspension features, upgraded the fairing and windshield, and changed the saddle bags to larger bags. The power increase has been a natural progression of the engine development, that engine is the strongest feature of the bike. I did make some changes on my ST to personalize the bike, higher windscreen, lowered seat, set backs on the handlebars. Since I am inseam challenged, even with the lowered seat, I have to be on my toes to hold the bike up. No problem, since the F800ST is a nicely balanced bike. The GT version appears to have carried on this feature.

Overall I expect the GT to be more of the same that I found on the ST. A snappy, responsive bike that loves the corners. If I were to get one, I would only have it if it had the traction control and suspension features, that would be the only reason to upgrade.

If you buy one come to the Oregon rally and you can see how it performs in our Rider Performance University and TEAM Oregon courses we are offering.

Tom Pemberton
BMW MOA Rider Education Coordinator.

Hi folks,
Anyway hello all.

Windshields are not necessarily right or wrong as your height, helmet and riding position can all make differences. I would use the windshield for a few miles and if you decide to experiment, which is exactly what it is, contact Cee Bailey. They produce quality windshields in different heights. They will also allow you to return the windshield at no charge in order to lower (through cutting) the shield should it be too tall. Visit their site as they provide some valuable height information.

http://www.ceebaileys.com/

Mirror extenders for F800GT

Thank you to those offering suggestions for my seat and fuel cell, and windshieldl issue. I have had pleasent experiences with both Rocky and Russell Day Long. Will go with a Russell Day long in the near future. I have a contact in Chula Vista Ca (San Diego area) who is constructing a 4.4 gal fuel cell for the bike. Should be ready in a couple of weeks. Fuel feed between the cell and main tank is not an issue. Performed a simular addition to a F650GS thumper a few years back that was quite easy.

Aftermarket windshield manufactures are still in the development stage for the GT. It will be a while for something to be on the market. I will need mirror extenders since right now I have a great view of my elbows. I think the ST parts will fit. Going to check this weekend.

bob

Bob...
I too have a great view of both of my elbows. Touratech offers mirror extenders for the F800S/ST (P/N 612-0001 @ $97.20/pair). From personal experience, they will not install onto the F800GT fairing. The Black Forest elves decided that when we R&R the mirror assembly (for whatever reason) we might reinstall them upside down. Therefore, the F800GT mirror stalk has a 3/16" protrusion (aka,key) molded into the stalk pointing straight down (180 deg). A corresponding key slot has been provided in the F800GT forward fairing to provided rotational indexing. While the 25 mm mirror extender will obviously fit onto the fairing, the OEM mirror stalk end will not be able to be inserted into the mirror extender without the key slot.
Several overseas web sites (UK & Australia) list mirror extenders for the F800GT but upon close examination, neither appear to address the need for a mating key slot.
The F800Depot (www.f800depot.com @ (877) 333-9669) plan to develop a F800GT unique set of Evolution Mirror Extenders. As of last seek (12 April 2013) they did not know when the units would be available for sale.
Mark Stadnyk (MadStad Engineering @ www.madstad.com) is developing a windshield for the F800GT. The GT has a couple of slight differences from the ST (side tabs, etc.) necessitating some modifications. Typically, to use Mark's RoboBrackets in the fully lowered position, mirror extenders must be added to the bike.
Life is full of inter-related challenges.
Keep us posted of any developments in this arena.
Grumpy Old John
2013 F800GT in rusty orange

Thanks for the information on the mirror extenders. Was going to order some this weekend. Sent a note to Mad Stad and Mark replied that it is in the works. Asked me to follow up with him if I didn't hear back by the end of this week. I just sent him a note asking him to draw faster.:)

My fuel cell is completed and waiting for me in Chula Vista. Just need to get a free weekend to get over there. It is a 4.4 gal cell with a luggage rack. Will post some photos after I get it installed. With the cell but without a taller windshield and a better seat, the bike will out last the rider on any trip over a few hrs. Not good. Have over 5k miles on the pumpkin and enjoying the ride.

bob

Got the fuel cell? Pics? Critique?

Fuel cell is on the bike and works very well. Gravity feed to main tank. Luggage rack on top of cell. Currently half way through a two week trip. Pics are on my computer at home. I have one pic with all the gear loadd Looks like thr grapes of wrath. Don't know if it will upload.

Range is around 400 miles. In Nevada last week against a head wind, went on reserve at 325.

Lots of fun on this bike, but hit 35-40 mph cross winds in Wy in the rain that was a handful.

bob

Attachments

• GetAttachment[2].jpg
    GetAttachment[2].jpg
    10 KB · Views: 244
Nice looking fuel cel!. Looks like a maplefarkles.com design - if so, good choice. He does excellent work. It looks like it covers the rear luggage rack - is that correct?

Back