• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

LED Lighting Source?

Paul_F

RK Ryder
Does anyone have a source for replacing the turning signal light bulbs and brake light bulb with LEDs? I am not talking about LED flashing brake lights but rather replacing the original bulbs with simply a LED bulb.

I looked into this for my R1200RT and decided it would be a lot of work for no real benefit.

Any 1157 LED replacement will light up, but the reduced current draw will be interpreted by the ZFE as an inoperative lamp and cause a dash warning lamp to light. The "solution" to avoid the warning light is to splice a resistor into each of the lamp circuits so that they draw the original amount of current. I'm not aware of any "plug-and-play" lamps that include a built in resistor. Most of the LED bulbs have a "directional" light output, and may be a good deal dimmer than the standard incandescent lamp.

I'm not sure about the K100 and R1100 systems, but I would expect similar issues.

Back