• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Where is this oil coming from? Timing chain cover, 1987 K75C

JamesInCA

I have oil lining the top and bottom edges of my timing chain cover. There's more on the bottom than the top.

In the pic, you can see the black oil/dirt buildup on the two slanted faces at the top and bottom of the cover. (Ignore the drippy-looking dirt on the face of the cover at the right. I dribbled some gas when removing the tank this weekend.)

Several months ago I replaced the crankcase cover gasket, along with the rubber bushings on the bolts. I do see some apparent weeping from the bottom front of the crankcase cover area, not shown. But I don't think it's enough to explain all of this, and certainly not the stuff on top.

I know the oil pump is leaking some coolant and oil from the weep hole at the bottom. I expect the seals and associated bits to arrive tomorrow, for replacement this weekend.

Could this buildup be related to the oil pump? And/or, can the timing chain cover develop a leak?

Attachments

• TimingCoverOil.jpg
    TimingCoverOil.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 54
Back