• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Gastric Bypass, anyone been through it?

A friend had one about a year ago, with some difficulty adjusting at first, but soon thereafter Tom, she not only felt much better, but looks like a new person. Hang in there. It will get better.:thumb

Fortunately no but have a co-worker who did. About a week (you're almost there) to feel some semblance of normal and 2 weeks you should start feeling good. You must be on a very un-interesting diet which takes the words "comfort food" out of your vocabulary?
Get well.

mike wex
r1100rt

Tom, congratulations. best wishes not only for a quick and full recovery, but for a much happier and healthier rest of your life. I'm sure it took a lot of courage to make the decision to go ahead with the surgery and I'm equally sure you'll get tons of support from family and friends. :clap:clap:clap

Sunny side: either ALL of your old gear will fit wonderfully or it will all be too big and you will have to get new stuff! Hope you are feeling much better soon!

I have gear from 4X all the way down to L. The stitch will fit again around 275, which I figure isn't that far away, three or four months, tops. And there are new boots still in the box that will also fit again at some point.

I'm sure there are also a few pairs of over pants that never got sent back that will fit me well by the fall.

The biggest thing I'm looking forward to is being able to walk around for a mile or two when reaching a destination.

Six days ago, struggling, looking for the sunny side.

Take solace in the fact the people like my nephew can afford a farm,Ferrari,Corvette,Porsche SUV, GM SUV,BIIIIIG RV, pool house, 3 houses,U of KY BB$$$$$ tics,vacations , has 3 little kids well you get the idea. Not bad for a kid that was a B student(graduated with my oldest son) and worked hard.
He does gastric bypasses- I think "Lap Bands" are his thing & he has one himself.

11 years out

I'm 11 years out from my bypass. 1st what type did you have? There are several. Mine was the full deal. Innards changed around. My recovery was much longer than someone who had a lap band. I had no soilds for the 2 months. Went from 297 to 190 in 8 months. I have been down to 160. I am now around 180. 5'8" No one thinks I am heavy but the insurance man's tables. I was built like a pear (big butt), 46 waist. I now run about 34. Now I can wear and buy clothes anywhere. If you lose a lot, people will treat you different. It ain't fair but its true. Every bypass says so. I had more looks from the ladies than ever did.

Food will be a challenge. You won't be able to eat what you used to. Your going to learn a lot about your digestive system. Good part is you don't have a choice. You can't quit like on a diet. I am sure you had training about eating and phyc. before the surgery. But if you have question email me. One thing to remember is everything that you put in your digestive track is intensified. Fried food has lots of grease that may not have affected you before, it might now. Spices same thing. Booze same thing. You have a new stomach. You'll have to learn it.

Is it worth it?... Well in most ways, yes. Your going to notice how heavy everyone is. They are all dieting. All dieting all the time, not you. Thats cool. Looking better, feeling better, most everything is better.. Almost everything. Almost... Eating is not. Your going to miss it. tastes, big meals, sitting around eating is not much fun now. Because sometimes eating hurts. For me drinking became an issue. Take care you'll be fine.

Overall I would do it again. Maybe years sooner. That said I have had days when I was 60/40 for doing it again. Most days I am much more positive about it.

Good luck,
Shan

Right now, there are three procedures, gastric bypass, sleeve gastrectomy, and lap band.

Back