• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

/5 Battery Box- rubber bumpers

kantuckid

I see these for a couple euros ea on Motobins. Thinking that something like GM glovebox bumpers will do the trick? Not certain of the designed for hole size on the GM's.They could easily be sanded to the same thickness. Rather than put $30 in bumpers have any members been down that road? I could use foam strips on hand but like the OEM route.Thanks

Just about anything rubber would work on a /5 battery holder, the /6&/7 used a different system, which I think is what you are talking about

$30 ?!?!?

Hucky's has them for $1.95 each. p/n: 46 51 1 231 084

46511231084.jpg

You'll need 12 if you're running the stock batbox.

46511230772.jpg

They're holding up well and allow moisture to drain out.

hmm mm mm ... by the time you pay shipping, it'll be thirty bucks. Never mind.

How 'bout those sticky-backed vinyl furniture bumpers. Ace Hardware, Home Depot, etc. usually has a collection of them.

photo110520142253.jpg

I did see the Hucky's version & cringed on the cost-just the tightwad coming out of me. I did my taxes yesterday & having to pay the feds a bunch because my wifes SS kicked in last year. Gotta tighten up:)
While the Huck version obviously will work fine but as they are not identical to the originals which are smaller,I was thinking why not buy a bag of 25 other bumpers for less & that work the same via pull through tails. I'm using the 1973-/5 battery box per above pic. Lots of them out there & I'm now officially a glovebox inspector...

I did my taxes yesterday & having to pay the feds a bunch because my wifes SS kicked in last year. Gotta tighten up

Well I hear that Brother. I just did mine as well. I'm horfing up $5,600 to the Feds this year. I claim 99 and flat $100 because I detest the thought of the GUBAMENT making money off of me all year long. I'm so tight that I squeak when I walk so I have it, and I knew I would owe it, but paying the piper is a b****.

But hey! I'm getting back $47 from the Great State of California. :dance I'm so excited, I can't even think of what to spend it all on!!!

Check McMaster Carr

Check McMaster Carr which is where I would guess half of the guys selling BMW aftermarket stuff get their stuff. The buy from McMaster Carr and then triple the price and sell to us BMW types!

I checked them(they have none that are correct size) and as they are what I suppose is a reseller/broker much like Grainger or other "one stop" supply houses they show only a few of what are likely the higher volume sellers in "rubber stem bumpers". The item the I think is closest to OEM is an industry standard-#6044 that's made by many rubber mfgs but I really don't want a thousand of the little fellers, do I?:) My best bet so far is bite the bullet with Hucky or dealer or buy the GM glovebox bumpers and sand off the tips. Either way , with a battery box(& obvious corrosion issues) I want the old ones out & in with the new -after painting! i did see some rubber washers on McMaster that will work for fender washers but they are cheaper on ebay from the UK!
As for tax comparisons, we are "rich retired teachers" living in the "LAP OF LUXURY" here in Appalachia! We owe nothing. We pay virtually zero interest and collect little interest.We are obviously keeping up someone else with our Fed taxes hovering around $7,000 each year& zero earned income. When your young and still working you think now is when I'll keep up other people=NOT! after you go to pasture yourself.:brow We don't file in KY as no taxable income-pay nothing/owe nothing. The myth we see that it's cheaper to live in states like FL, where you can retire with no state income tax is far oversimplified as you have to look at your own specific case to know that. Of course CA being an inexpensive place to live(I know it's LA/LA LAND out there what with mediterranean climate & its 19 deg here in KY this a.m.) makes for a comfy senior lifestyle?

How many rubber washers on the R75 besides the fenders? Any?

Last edited:
'Fornia's real, and it's nice, but it isn't real nice. We'll be headed back to Gnaw Bone to grow old(er). I'm 62 today.

How many rubber washers on a /5?!?

I have a few extras I've added over the years: Lemme think :scratch

* Rubber washers and strips under all of the fender connections - call me obsessive (it's okay, I am), I just don't like hard steel washers, metal strips, and frame tabs bearing down on bulk-molded fiberglass, especially at holes... I also replaced the washer (#6 and #9) at the front of the rear fender with "fender washers".

B0000949.png

* Rubber strip between the tail light housing and the tail light bracket (#1) / rubber strip under the metal plate (#3 (under the fender)) / rubber washers under fender washers (added) inside the tail light housing.
B0002047.png

* Rubber washers on either side of the head light mounting #12
* Rubber tube over the bolt used at #13 (an OEM detail).

B0002037.png

Well got to looking through my many boxes that came with my basketcase bike-the guy spent a mint on parts to do what he never did do-except take it apart. If I didn't have 2 other bikes apart & going back together I'd be better organized/less covered up. I even made lists of the parts but...so I found today while sitting on creeper going thru boxes the zip bags of SS kits he got for fenders,etc.. The washers in there are thin SS,cupped with a rubber under so a type of sealing washer(they remind you of steel roofing washers) they are marked "Buddy Bike Kits" or similar name. My rear fender which had the area at the rear bottom ~ 9/16x 2 1/2" broken off where the two fasteners(please no Bolt Nazis here again:)) hold it to frame with spacers for LWB.
How is that to be avoided? I got 2 rears so chose the other one he got to sand down & use. I'm also researching the cracked frame thing discussed here last few days & a quicky inspection of the frame (which is sort of in the dark) shows no cracks on a 51,000 miles commuter bike.

Reflectors:80mm- I have one new yellow,2 old yellow & 4 old red. Questions : did they come out new with 3 reds on the back-one fender ,2 plate holder? Were any of those rear reds mtd on rubber? I'm assuming 2 yellows on rubber base on the HL brackets. Thanks!!!:)

RE Gnaw Bone: we used to go to the Nashville "lil opry" near there but it sadly burned down a few years back. Was a great venue for music as they controlled the crowd for too many pics,too big of hats,too much noise & you were close to the action! The big country music barn nearest to us has little control and its a waste to try hearing or seeing. The BG barns near us are much better.

Thread hijack = ON. :)
While you guys are on the subject of rubber bumpers... I am working on a custom solo seat for my R80G/S. New pan is mounted to the rear rack from a solo PD seat and all looks good but I need some fairly tall (say 50mm or 2") rubber bumpers to go between the seal pan and the frame rails. The original P/D had shorter rubber bumpers with push through holes in the pan to mount and I would like something similar but cannot find longer ones. Typical hood bumpers for car and truck hoods I have found so far are too short.

If you came across any searching for alternate battery box bumpers of have ideas on where to find some much appreciated. Thx.

My rear fender which had the area at the rear bottom ~ 9/16x 2 1/2" broken off where the two fasteners ... hold it to frame with spacers for LWB.

You have the two metal "extender" tubes (#11) that span the gap between the fender and cross tube? Those are the "spacers" you mentioned?

I don't know what would break that plastic out of there unless it was just ham-handed at some point. If you're handy with fiberglass, get some 1.5 oz. cloth (not mat) and some epoxy laminating resin (not reg. polyester) and laminate a fairly big piece over the entire area of the better fender. Make sure to take some time cleaning the underside to remove all the road tar, dirts, etc. When I did mine I went over it with 36grit. I laminated reinforcing patches under the mounting area and the entire area under/behind the tail light mounting area.

Reflectors:80mm- I have one new yellow,2 old yellow & 4 old red. Questions : did they come out new with 3 reds on the back-one fender ,2 plate holder? Were any of those rear reds mtd on rubber? I'm assuming 2 yellows on rubber base on the HL brackets.

Here's pretty much where they go. There is a thick (5-6mm) rubber pad that is supposed to go under the rear red reflector (see the photo at the very bottom of this post). No rubber under the rear side reflectors.

BMW2_zpsbe47f97c.jpg

In the front there are contoured molded rubber "spacers" that go under the yellow reflectors (you can see them in the photo).
I can't find these rubber mounts anywhere on line this evening but if you call Rusty Gill at MAXBMW, or Hucky, or Vech at Bench Mark Works they will probably know where to find them.

IMG_0223-1_zps762cd974.jpg

If your /5 had the side reflectors ('73) on the headlight supports brackets they will have a "keyhole" shaped hole, and another, smaller, round hole that orients the rubber spacers. If yours do not have the keyholes (or any holes at all) , they were off of an earlier /5 that had the small round yellow reflectors on the outboard side of the turn signal housings.

72-73.jpg

We moved over to Illinois to work for Vetter in early '75 and heard about the fire at the Opry later on. When we live in GB, we used to ride over to Bean Blossom north of Nashville and listen to Bill Monroe, Earl Scruggs and the like at an old barnyard there. BYO everything... a completely different Brown county than it turned into later. But now what's left is sounding pretty down home...

Attachments

• rear reflector pad.JPG
    rear reflector pad.JPG
    21 KB · Views: 69
Thread hijack = ON. :)
While you guys are on the subject of rubber bumpers... I am working on a custom solo seat for my R80G/S. New pan is mounted to the rear rack from a solo PD seat and all looks good but I need some fairly tall (say 50mm or 2") rubber bumpers to go between the seal pan and the frame rails. The original P/D had shorter rubber bumpers with push through holes in the pan to mount and I would like something similar but cannot find longer ones. Typical hood bumpers for car and truck hoods I have found so far are too short.

If you came across any searching for alternate battery box bumpers of have ideas on where to find some much appreciated. Thx.
Look on the websites(the numbers of each bumper are industry standard per shape & size) of a rubber company that lists all the common versions of "rubber stem bumpers"-there are several out there with charts. Issue is once you have the number small quantities are difficult except for resellers like McMaster-Carr/Grainger,etc.. Look at ebay for rubber bumpers,stem bumpers, hood rubber,all and any related terms and you'll see them in amts of like 10's & 25's. See post #7, r.e., # 6044 for very close to the battery bumpers-google that # & nomenclature for a closer google hit?
Lou-Yes I can repair the other fender but as I had one with no damage with the bike/basketcase no need-I'll repair it and sell it to pay for stuff I need! I have the rubber on for the HL reflectors but none was on the back fender where shown. I have 2 I'll rob off my parts bike which so far has stayed intact for resale later.
The best bluegrass music venue we have close by is the one in Clay City,KY( The Clay City Music Barn) & it is "intimate" I'll say, has homemade theater seating, hillbilly food and some of the best BG musicians known! $15 on Sat nites. Real fries, real burgers, hand dipped cones, fried apple pies...:) Great riding nearby too. I'm a big Dave Evans fan-he's from McGoffin Co. KY same as the more famous Larry Flynt of Hustler notoriety.

I'm thinking I'll laminate some fiberglass cloth to the underside of my undamaged fender as a preventative measure? Spread the vibration out with larger washers and use a piece of SS tubing cut to fit as the spacer which is corroded anyway???

Last edited:
I'm thinking I'll laminate some fiberglass cloth to the underside of my undamaged fender as a preventative measure?

+1 I mentioned that I reinforced around the mounting areas... I actually laminated the entire underside of the fenders (F&R) with epoxy/cloth as a preventative measure. Epoxy gets a much better "bite" than polyester doe on this old fiberglass; it just doesn't work with mat that well.

Mine look every bit like aluminum because they had a fine pall of rust on them and I re-painted them ... aluminum silver.
icon_wink.gif

Thanks Ken. It was in the sixties yesterday. :stick I put about 250 miles on the clock for my birthday ride to Big Sur and back. It's literally in my back yard, but I don't get to do it very often. A bit of morning fog, and a gusty head wind northbound; the flip was perfect. Had lunch at Nepenthe's overlooking the Pacific. Just me, and me.

Attachments

• Big Sur.jpg
    Big Sur.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 22
Back