• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2013 R1200RT has arrived and is being assembled.

sickticket

Just got the call. Now a question that might sound stupid to some but there is a lot of experience out there that should be spread around.
My two previous bikes were naked and I have no experience in doing anything special to "tupperware". I have heard mentioned something about lemon "Pledge" but I can't find that thread anymore.
What are your best ideas on keeping my new birthday present (90 anniversary edition) from my wife looking as good as she does?
Please spread your secrets because I have seen the pictures of some of the older bikes and they look great.
Thank you in advance

Ok, I am sitting here red faced. Having never had all that tupperware I was thinking that there were some special care or products necessary.
I sit corrected.
Wash and wax it is.
Plus, no fall down - go boom.

Yup! Pretty easy. Good automotive car wash (no dish soap or the like) and some good wax. I usually wax mine 2 - 3 times per riding season.

Just got the call. Now a question that might sound stupid to some but there is a lot of experience out there that should be spread around.
My two previous bikes were naked and I have no experience in doing anything special to "tupperware". I have heard mentioned something about lemon "Pledge" but I can't find that thread anymore.

Yep, lemon Pledge works on painted body parts and the windshield. I use that and several other products.

Lemon pledge works however,

Watch out for bees!!!! It attracts them like crazy. Best stuff is the old Honda spray polish, not made by honda anymore but still available.

Watch out for bees!!!! It attracts them like crazy. Best stuff is the old Honda spray polish, not made by honda anymore but still available.

+1

I have not used a hose on either of my last two bikes. A can of this stuff can easily last a year, unless your using it every day then it will likely last 3-6 months. Good stuff.

Scot

What are your best ideas on keeping my new birthday present (90 anniversary edition) from my wife looking as good as she does?
Please spread your secrets because I have seen the pictures of some of the older bikes and they look great.
Thank you in advance

Thank you in advance

There is a very good product called dri wash n guard..that's how it is printed on the bottle. It works well on every surface DO NOT USE..on seat,pegs,grips...
It is a waterless wash &glaze. I used Pledge for years, & like this much better.

Ron

My auto body shop owner friend uses Lemon Pledge as a
final step just before the car owner arrives to pick up
the car. Whatever dust has settled on the car while it was
in the shop isn't a problem it doesn't scratch the finish.

I use Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax ($10 at Wal-Mart) to keep my bike as well as my cars looking good. It's really great stuff and easy to use. It comes in a spray which I then wipe/buff with micro-fiber towels. So much easier than the old days of pastes and all the elbow grease. It's real good at removing little spots of road grease and tar too.

There's nothing better than good ol paste wax for lasting protection. Make sure you wash the bugs off as soon as possible. Moisture reacts with the bug guts to create an acid that will eat into any paint eventually. The spray waxes don't offer much protection but are a quick and easy shine. You see the car show guys detailing with that all of the time.

Use Plexus not pledge on the windshield. Pledge will tend to yellow over time and the Plexus fills small scratches. As to wax, some of the quick stuff by any of the major manufactures works well and it goes on easy & buffs to a good shine.

Have had good results with Honda Plastic Polish. It is milky liquid polish that comes in a tilt tip plastic bottle. Apply like wax with a terry towel. Remove with terry towel and polish as you go. I am told that this product is made for Honda by Glare. For quick touch ups, Plexus is great for the windshield as well as the entire RT bodywork and lenses.

Back