• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2005 r1200gs

PeoriaMac

After two Aifrheads and a K1100, I've got a shot at a 2005 R1200GS. It's equipped with a Garmin Roadpilot, radar detector, XM radio, some
carbon fiber and PIAA lights. It's got 22K miles on it for 8 grand + taxes. Are there any problems I should be looking at, and does this seem a reasonable price?? The bike appears clean enough, but I haven't taken it out yet...
Still freezing in Centeral Illinois, Mac

Sounds like a decent deal to me. I have an '05 that's been great. I think some people don't like the servo brakes, but I love the bike. Good luck!

Ditto on the servos. If you're not used to them it may take some adjustment but nothing you can't handle. Just remember that the braking power with the key off is reduced somewhat. The '05 had a high ratio (2.82 to 1) final drive. If you do a lot of riding two up or with heavy loads or off road that gearing is too high. I found that riding in heavy wind or in mountainous terrain I got better mileage in 5th than 6th. Ditto for passing on secondary roads. The handle bars mount lower than later years so you see a lot of '05s with risers. Something to consider depending on your height. One plus, the '05s only had 100HP (vs 105 for all the other models that year) so it runs better on lower octane gas.
Overall after 140K I'm happy.

Many of the GS of that vintage (including mine) had leaky tranny input and/or output seals. Seal replacements was covered under warranty for most folks as the failure was within 36K miles. Normally I'd not mention it save the mileage on the bike you are looking at... the leaks didn't show up until around 20K miles. In my case some die was added to the tranny fluid during my 24K service as the we weren't sure if it was leaking or not. About 2K later we noticed the die on the outside of the case and the warranty work was scheduled.

I'd check if this bike had the seals replaced. I don't know what percentage of '05 GS had the issue.

Thanks guys,
I'm likely to buy it...but I do want to ride it first, and the 4 degree wind chill this morning has me waiting until next week. My old KLR is at the shop up for sale...as is my Polaris 500. Thanks for the tip on the seals. Mac

Ed, thanks for the offer. I'm set to go over Tuesday for a test ride..unless the five inches of snow predicted for Saturday night really arrives. Roger had to remove the Gerbing equipment still on the bike and stuffed into the tank bag. The new-to-me John Deere Gator goes to the repair shop tomorrow...replacing my Polaris Woodsman 500 now at Powersports...along with the KLR. The R80RT is still in my garage. I'm torn on whether to sell it to them or try to find a buyer myself. Mac

Might ride it up there in the morning,if i can convince myself that it is warm "enough".Wow Mac-nice looking and a ton of excelcyclewerks stuff to boot.You better jump on that thing...Ed

Last edited:
You'll love the bike Mac. I bought the same bike three years ago with about 20,000 miles on it. Have 72,000 miles on it now and it's been a flawless machine. Mine has a Cee Baily windscreen, cruise control, and all three cases. After a lot of highway and back road miles two-up, I can't say I regret the purchase at all. $8K seems like a very fair price. I believe that the '05 was the first year the bike could get the battery charged by plugging into the underseat socket also. Very convenient and easy.

Happy riding!

Back