• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Top Case Suggestions?? '08 R1200RT

bobframe

I'd like to have a top case for my '08 R1200RT but, like many, I won't spend what it takes to get the OEM case.

I had a Givi Monokey on my Honda ST and liked it well enough, though I always thought it looked like a add-on. I also tired of using the key to open it each time. A friend tells me his Givi Trekker can be opened without the key...sounds good to me....let me decide when to lock it.

So....suggestions on a handsome, highly functional and reasonably priced top case? If you are recommending a non-OEM case...can you comment on the mounting arrangement, that is, how much of a mess are you left with when you go "sans-case"?

Many thanks,

Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
I got the Givi 46 Mono Key off the forum flea market with the light kit and universal mounting plate and brackets. Install was easy and straight forward, no residue or modifications. Mounting bracket lays on top of existing luggage rack and can stay on or be removed easy enough; four butterfly brackets. Light kit wires directly to the bike wiring and is hard wired via a waterproof plug on the case.
Fit and finish are good and functionality cannot be beat especially at 250 bucks.
The key system is ok and I can leave it unlocked and not use the key every time.
I have not yet taken a trip with it but I know it will simplify long trips.
I did add the top rack so I can carry some light stuff outside the box.
Hope this helps.:thumb

Mounted a GIVI E55 on my R1200RT - looks great (mistaken for OEM). :thumb

It is 55 litres vs. BMW's 49L case.

Also, it doesn't bounce around like a pogo stick like the BMW one did.

Lends itself well to the Givi luggage rack too.

All around, the best choice out there IMHO.

Last edited:
I put a Givi E55 on my '12 RT this winter and LOVE it. The custom bracket went on with ease and the box couldn't be easier to open or remove from the bike. I did not like having to use a key each time to open so I had a duplicate key made and cut off all but a small piece that sticks out of the lock cylinder far enough to turn. I leave it in all the time but could take it out if locking was important.
It holds so much that on short trips I some times leave my side cases at home. With the silver trim on the case I think it looks good with the bike. You can opt for colored tops or have one custom painted if it is that important. The stock top on mine is textured and has been scratch resistant so far.

I have the Givi V46NT (matte black w/clear lens - looks great on my Thunder Gray 2011RT). With the case removed the rack looks good. Except for the two latching hooks that stick up 1/2", the surface is flat. I thought the mounting instructions were less than good and the actual installation a bit fiddly but not hard. Removing the mounting plate leaves the bike unharmed.

pete

I bought a good-as-new used BMW 49l case for ~$500. Then shipping then rekeying charge.

I'd keep my eyes open and search the classifieds, as BMW styling looks best by far on BMWs.

I have the Givi V46NT (matte black w/clear lens - looks great on my Thunder Gray 2011RT). With the case removed the rack looks good. Except for the two latching hooks that stick up 1/2", the surface is flat. I thought the mounting instructions were less than good and the actual installation a bit fiddly but not hard. Removing the mounting plate leaves the bike unharmed.

pete

I have the same one, and I wish the mounting brackets that goes underneath the stock rack was one piece instead of four. It's a bit of a pain. I remove everything every time I wash the bike because of that foam cushion probably wouldn't dry well and start to either smell or decay. Somewhere recently, I saw some website that has an aluminum plate made for GIVI cases. It goes over the stock rack and does not appear to need those brackets to go underneath the rack. It doesn't show that they're making it for the R1200RT yet. But they do make some for a couple K bikes.

droptine, you're absolutely right. First figuring out which piece goes where, then holding it in position while threading the bolt through the mount and into the part underneath the rack... I needed more hands and some funny fingers. I found that taping the small underneath piece in place with some painter's tape helped get things started.

Never thought about removing the mount for washing, but you are probably right. Water + aluminum = corrosion.

pete

I bought a good-as-new used BMW 49l case for ~$500. Then shipping then rekeying charge.

I'd keep my eyes open and search the classifieds, as BMW styling looks best by far on BMWs.

+1 but got mine for $400 and keyed it myself. The OEM case is much better than anything else out there. (as judged by both construction quality and passenger comfort)

I'm really happy with my Shad SH 48. I like the shape better than the BMW box and unlike the Givi it does not require a key to open unless you lock it. It also has a nice back pad for the pillion. Quality is certainly on par with the Givi and it doesn't seem to bounce a round as much as the BMW box on my buddies RT.

Like you, I was shocked at how much the OEM trunk was so I made a deal on a Givi E52 Maxia and mounting plate, installed before I rode it home. It was a total of $350.00 and has a capacity of 52 liters.

cell pics 021.jpg

And another view. You can see where I installed a black reflective tape kit designed for the Givi. You can also add a brake light kit to it as well as the E55 Maxia where as there is no such provision for the OEM. It's rock solid at any speed.

cell pics 023.jpg

And another view. You can see where I installed a black reflective tape kit designed for the Givi. You can also add a brake light kit to it as well as the E55 Maxia where as there is no such provision for the OEM. It's rock solid at any speed.

View attachment 39216

Way nicer looking (not to mention bigger and more solid) than the 49L OEM 'dumpster.' :thumb

View attachment 39216
Brian, that looks good. Any chance you could take a pic of the mount taken without the case? I'd like to get a sense for how obtrusive the Givi mount is. Thanks very much,

Bob

View attachment 39216

This is the exact GIVI Case I had on the back of my 2001 Triumph Trophy! Love it. As well if I am not mistaken you can wire the stop lights to the case for added bright rear end stop lights.:wave

Givi is the only way to go IMO. They make the second best mounts (behind SWMOTECH because of their ease of removal) and the best cases hands down. I've got a Givi E350 Flow that has been mounted on 3 bikes so far and used as luggage/tent weight/ice chest/beer cooler/ect It's probably my single best and most useful piece of luggage I have.

+1 on the Maxia E55. I tried my friend's BMW 49L and really noticed it bouncing around back there. The Givi is rock solid, plus the luxury edition ($430 shipped with the mounting rack) has some added lights and the remote entry button which are some nice conveniences. Overall I love the added space coming from the smaller BMW 28L case and since I mostly commute I feel like I have plenty of cargo space now.

2013-03-22 00.15.16.jpg

Last edited:
I run one of the new Givi 52L Trekker cases. Plenty big and plenty secure.

RT_trekker1sm.jpg

RT_trekker4sm.jpg

RT_trekker5sm.jpg

Very nice. I love the tri color.
I would like to stay brand loyal but sometimes they make it impossable to do so.
3x for the Beamer case is a bit too much to swollow.
I picked up a Givi 46 with lights and a base plate off the flea market for less than a third of the 800+ BMW wants. Its a Mono Key and is in perfect condition and will do pretty much the same thing as the Beemer case.

Back