• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

How old were you when you bought your first BMW?

How old were you when you bought your first BMW?

• Under 20

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 41 33.6%
  • 31 - 40

Votes: 32 26.2%
  • 41 - 50

Votes: 33 27.0%
  • 51 - 60

Votes: 12 9.8%
  • 61 - 70

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 71 or up

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
KBasa said:
Since dizave asked, how old were you?

At 33 I plunked down my cash for a brand new '98 R12C. I think the marketeers did a good job on developing that "entry level" BMW.

23.....bought a new K75S two weeks after graduating from college, with only a job offer letter in my hand. I still have that bike 14 years later.

Also got my 100K-mile award when I was 28, my 200K award when I was 31, and my 300K award when I was 34. 400K is a ways off tho.

First bmw was a 1962 R69S.
2nd was 1971 R75/5
3rd was 1967 R27
4th 1974 R 90/6 still have
5th 2000 K1200 LTC CR in color.:wow

KBasa said:
Yeah, but when did you buy a Beemer?

:dunno

After 3 or 4 months (okay, there was that obligatory New England PMS season in there; poor garaged bike) and 7-8,000 miles of riding on the Honda, I got me first beemer. That was 1994, I was 27, and the bike was a 1976 R75/6 - white with black pinstripes and the large tank with the knee protectors on it. That bike got some great mods to it. R90S fairing, front-end with dual disk brakes and aluminum signal housings. I still have right of first refusal if the woman I sold it to should ever decide to part with it. Broke my heart to sell that bike, but I outgrew it's riding limits and needed to move on to something that would help me improve my skills.

Mrs. KBasa got all the extra goodies from the CB400F for HER identical, new-to-her 1975 CB400F.

Started riding dirt bikes at 6 years old, had a ratted-out Nighthawk 650 when I was in college and owned that for a few years. Was "out of" riding for a while until I adopted a homeless '85 (Finest Year!) K100RS from a barn when I was 28, traded it for the K12 when I was 30, I'm 34 now.

Not sure exactly, but I know it was in October and I think it was in 1999 - I would have been 32. It may have been in 2000 when I was 33. I just can't recall for sure. It made bike #4 at the time(not my 4th bike, but that I then had 4 bikes at one time, not including my son's pw50). It was and is my 1997 F650. I have also picked up a R75 motor this year.

Gar

Bought my first Beemer 5 years ago, a used 96 R1100RT, the largest "owned" displacement for me. I was originally after something smaller (750-850cc range) but, was talked into the RT by a very good BMW salesman,and I'm glad he talked me into it. I now ride a 2002 R1150RT and love it except for the low speed surging as posted on another thread, can anyone really fix this problem? My RT has 40,000 miles on it and I plan on adding millions more in my lifetime. I am hooked on BMW forever, I love my bike! :bliss

I was 19 when I bought a '73 1/2 R75/5 LWB in January of 1974-joined MOA soon afterwards.
Wasn't many young riders of BMW's then--I think I was about the 5th youngest rider at the 2nd MOA National at Table Rock,SC in '74. I have had 4 solo Beemers and 2 BMW sidecar rigs since. I'm riding a 96 R1100RT now, and I am 49.:D

After having a cb360 & a kz650 in my 20's I bought a nice used R90/6 @ 31, followed by a r65ls, an'83 r1100rs, a 91gspdand currently a 99 r11100 gsa. Didn't know what riding was 'til the r90. can't keep me off the dam things now. Oh well, better than drugs, I guess.

First BMW

Okay, my turn.
Bought a new CB650 Honda in July of '79. I was 23 y.o. Kept it until February of '80. With 8,000 miles on it she felt totally worn out. Had too many problems to list all of them. My brother had brought back a BMW 750 from his Army stint in The Motherland, and he told me I'd be wasting my time buying anything else but the Legendary Motorcycle of Germany.
So, in February of 1980, I found a zero mileage red-smoke '78 R100S model that had sat for almost two years at the dealership in Orlando, the long gone and sorely missed Schmidts Cycle. I was 24 y. o. I remember riding it home from the dealership the first time on I-4, and looking down at those beautiful cylinder heads sticking out for all the world to see, and thinking..How beautiful U are! I had not made the first payment on the poor thing when a lovely little old lady pulled out in front of the spouse and I and destroyed the bike, my knee, and almost ended my spouse's stay on earth. (Hence the nickname Krash, given to me by my lovely friends from work) My wife's fractured pelvis and severe concusion aside, I found yet Another brand new '78 "S" model. (If U remember, the economy really sucked then, with insane interest rates, so it was not unusual for the machines to sit for a while.) So, our first trip to Maine (from Florida) she sat on a hot water bottle to cushion the ride for her still very sore pelvis.I kept the 'S' until '82, and could not resist the pull of the RS. So I traded the 'S' (with about 60,000 on it)on the RS, and I still have it to this day. In fact, she and I (the bike, not the wifey) will be at the rally! Look for BMW RS plates from Florida!
long winded David

David, Me too (sorta). First was in 1978. A '78 Red Smoke R100S. Only two road bikes before that. 1966 at 16 a Honda Trail 90, 1975 a Yamaha 650 twin. Various dirt bikes in there, including a Maico 400 AW. Way fun...

Kbasa, you're poll happy!

Greg

I bought my 1st bike in 1969, Yamaha AS2C 125cc Twin and have had many bikes since.

My 1st BMW was a '00 RT bought new in March 2000. I'm now riding a '03 GSAdv bought new in January, 2003. I love that new bike.:D

First BMW

hmmm...

Well I told kbasa we had to buy a beemer because " I am not gonna ride on the back of a CB750F for long tours anymore, we have to buy a BMW" Does that count? Because well, then I was 25 or 27? But, I let him keep the CB....

for me well it was at 33. I was a late bloomer and didn't even start to ride myself until I was 31.

Back