• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Camping Gota Have Gota Leave

This

Monkey Butt powder. Trust me, you will need it.

A source of drinking water on your bike.

It sounds as if you want to hit the road shortly after waking. Buy a light weight tarp to cover your tent; otherwise you will be standing around waiting for the sun to remove the dew from your tent before packing.

Already mentioned .. but a "comfortable" sleeping bag, not just an OK one. The best tech spec bag on the market may or may not be comfortable for you so get in some before buying. A slight difference in girth makes a HUGE difference when you're zipped up.

My addition - a good pillow. Make the room for it. Neck fatigue and stiff muscles will not be your friend on an extended trip. I prefer the "Fillo" by Nemo in size medium. This blows up and has a memory-type foam covering that is comfy. Like an airhawk pad... less air is best but you can adjust to your hearts content. Packs small - like 1/2 the size of a nalgene bottle. Worth every ounce and inch of space.

Yes & yes to the get a good bag. Making certain it has enough wiggle room matters for many-I for one, dislike the small foot area that many cold weather rated bags provide. Also, I find that "how much is enough pad" increases with my age.

OP: Heating pad?????????????????????????????????????????????????????:nyah Did you say heating pad????????????????????????????:)

Also I carrie a grundig pocket am/fm/sw/weather band radio the size of a pack of smokes,find out weather/keep you company at camp. 30.00 $ at radio shak.

Note that there is no standard between companies for sleeping bag ratings. Ratings assume that you are within a tent or other shelter and are on top of a sleeping pad. Many people are "cold" or "warm" sleepers, meaning they need more or less insulation than the average person. Knowing which you are will help in the choice of a bag. Down is lighter, packs smaller and will last longer than synthetic for a given rating. It will also cost you more.

Let's take this a step farther. We will use a +40 degree rated sleeping bag as an example. Normally, a bag rated at plus forty degrees will allow you to survive in a forty degree environment, but you will not be happy or comfortable. Most experienced adventurers will carry a bag that is rated colder than their conditions call for. For example, I try to get in a little snow camping every year with a good friend of mine. I like to be warm so my bag is rated at +5 degrees. My camping buddy uses a 20 degree bag(He's nuts), with a 40 degree bag for the summer months. If I had to use one bag year-round, it would be rated at +20. FWIW, lots of my friends use 20 degree bags year round and are very happy with them.

Sleeping bag construction can also make a big difference in your comfort level. A little time and research into the different fabrics, fillers, and design features can pay off big, giving you a lighter, smaller, and warmer bag by a simple change in design or assembly techniques. REI is a good place to start looking for sleeping bags. Ask questions. They have great employees that know their stuff. REI will also rent bags for a small fee.

Stanley is 100% correct about down sleeping bags. They normally are lighter and pack smaller than synthetics, but, unlike some synthetics, they are not worth a cr*p if they get wet.

Just my 2 cents.

Let's take this a step farther. We will use a +40 degree rated sleeping bag as an example. Normally, a bag rated at plus forty degrees will allow you to survive in a forty degree environment, but you will not be happy or comfortable. Most experienced adventurers will carry a bag that is rated colder than their conditions call for.

Experience is the key, not hard and fast rules about ratings. I sleep very warm. I am quite comfortable in my +45 degree bag at +45 (when in a tent on my insulated-with-down air mattress). That will be about the only time I bother zipping it up. My +25 bag is useless for me at +45 as I'm too hot and throw the bag off... then I'm too cold. Back and forth all night between too hot and too cold. I learned this the hard way which is why I now have the +45 bag.

Heating Pad

Yes, really, I do. When < 40 degrees I ride with electric vest, why not have electric sleeping bag?

Most of the places I camp have electricity, KOAs, State Parks, private RV parks. I plug in my extension cord, run it into my sleeping bag, plug it in while I'm getting settled for the night. Slip in the bag and I'm all toasty. Once I road with a twin electric blanket, that was luxury.

Bag and Liner?

Should I get a sleeping bag and liner? That way I can sleep in the liner only for those $29/night hotels?

Should I get a sleeping bag and liner? That way I can sleep in the liner only for those $29/night hotels?

A liner for your bag certainly cant hurt anything. It may even make your bag a little warmer. Some people even get sleeping bags that have a removable Gore-tex case for the outside of the bag. That way they don't need a tent. Of course you could just use the liner and the case in warmer weather.

Back and forth all night between too hot and too cold. I learned this the hard way which is why I now have the +45 bag.

I have a nice inexpensive Kelty bag for summer that only has insulation on one side... packs really small and gives you the option of sleeping with only a thin cloth "sheet" when it's really warm.

Ian

My bag is rated at 45deg F. I use a Coleman air mattress for comfort and when its cold I place a mylar emergency blanket between the sleeping bag and the air mattress. Last Friday morning in Daytona there was frost on my tent but I was comfortable. A light weight microfiber blanket was used that covered my sleeping bag head to toe. The emergency mylar/reflective foil blankets are cheap and pack very small (pack of cigarettes size). An MSR Dragonfly stove and Jetboil provide hot coffee, tea, hot chocolate, etc to chase away the morning chill. This was my first time using a Redverz tent and I really appreciate the ability to stand up and change clothes. The large stand up vestibule/porch is a great feature that gets you out of the wind or sun and the 3 access panels can be adjusted for ventilation. I will no longer need to carry my 12x12 para-wing for shade and have ample room for my Kermit chair and table. The "gotta have" items depend on the individual but knife/fork/spoon combo tool, LED lamps, a means of charging your cell phone, gas canister/ers, small first aid kit, extra batteries, are some of my got to have items.

RIDE SAFE

How will this thread apply

After 50 years plus riding motorcycles it's time to get the sidecar. I'll be giving up a 95 RT, going to a
03 1150RT. In April I pick up A Hannagin Sidecar. My mind is just wired. Thinking about what I can take now
versus what I should leave behind. Will I have to get road permits going to rallys, will I have to avoid weigh
stations like truckers. And is there a support group in the MOA to aid us sad souls.
All in fun and looking more different miles, rediderbmw

Back