• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Correct tire for a 82 R65LS

ind1mrg

I am getting this bike back on the road after sitting in storage, it only has 12,000 miles on it now. The tires have got to be older than 2000 if i read the DOT correct. The ft tire reads 3.25 S18 which i think is a 100 90 18 and the rear is a 4.00 S18 = 110 90 18 , which brand and type would anybody recommend to put on this bike. I weigh in about 225 lbs and this bike seems to be one that you might try to hot rod just a little so a sticky tire might be in order.

The correct tire is the inch-sized tires, although people do use the metric tires. They're really not equivalent as the overall profile of the tire will be different. But people do use the metrics.

The 3.25 number is the width...that would translate to 82+mm, so I don't think a 100 tire would work there at all. 4.00 translates closer to 100mm not 110mm.

A few recent threads on tires...look through some of the past posts to find those discussions.

I just looked at Motorcycle Superstores webb site and it showes both sizes the 3.25 and 4.00 and also 100 90 and 110 90 so which way do i order?

I suggest that you google something like "motorcycle tire size charts" and "motorcycle rim size charts". There are lots of them out there & some are better set up than others. www.central-wheel.co.uk in the UK has lots of rim info on their site. Look at several sellers as the prices vary quite a bit. My R65ls came out with Continentals that are unobtanium now.

Avon Roadriders
90/90 x 18
4.00 x 18 Rear

These sizes are about as close to OEM as you can find. I experimented with wider sizes and was unhappy with the handling and turn-in.

I just looked at Motorcycle Superstores webb site and it showes both sizes the 3.25 and 4.00 and also 100 90 and 110 90 so which way do i order?

Order the inch sizes as they are correct.

You know, lots of places in Europe it would be illegal to fit the metric size tires as they are not manufacturer approved.

As was pointed out, the metric sizes are NOT equivalent and that notion should be abandoned.

Well, he is South Indiana, so the things people in Europe are required to do may be of little concern to him.
I am a member in the ICOA (International CBX Owners association) and we have the same issue with tires all the time. The first year CBX came with a 3.50x19 on the front and a 4.25x18 on the rear. Nobody I know uses the original tire configuration anymore as there are better tires available in metric sizes. Most tire manufacturer websites have conversion tables available that list the metric equivalents for the "inch" dimensions.

Inch-size tires are readily available in the US, esp. for the 19-inch front and 18-inch rear wheels. Not sure about an 18-inch front, though.

Inch size 18" front bias tires are about rare as hens teeth anymore. Michelin, Continental and Metzler are the major European tire manufacturers. They all recommend 90/90 x 18 front. Go to their websites and check for yourself. If they were illegal in Europe they probably wouldn't list them. Metzler makes the ME11 in 3.25 if you really really want the 'classic' styling. The ME11 3.25 is approximately 89 width compared to 90/90 is 90 width (duh). Trust me - the 90/90 is nearly identical to the OEM. And, yes, install tubes - even if the sidewall says tubeless.

Inch size 18" front bias tires are about rare as hens teeth anymore. Michelin, Continental and Metzler are the major European tire manufacturers. They all recommend 90/90 x 18 front. Go to their websites and check for yourself. If they were illegal in Europe they probably wouldn't list them. Metzler makes the ME11 in 3.25 if you really really want the 'classic' styling. The ME11 3.25 is approximately 89 width compared to 90/90 is 90 width (duh). Trust me - the 90/90 is nearly identical to the OEM. And, yes, install tubes - even if the sidewall says tubeless.

Doesn't the LS have "K" bike wheels which can run tubeless?

Many people run snowflakes without tubes and are happy - they say they work fine. Some also say they slowly leak air and you need to be diligent about checking your air pressure. The bead area of the snowflake really wasn't designed for tubeless tires. Because of that, some believe a sudden impact like a pothole could greatly increase your risk of sudden loss of air (similar to a blow out). Pretty much all of the manufacturers recommend tubes (for liability reasons I'm sure). That's all of the pros and cons I can think of at the moment.

Back