• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Windshield: 05-09 vs 10+

CRUZER

Anyone know why they put the "wings" on the 2010+ RT windshield? Is this just a styling thing or is there some function? Personally, I don't like the look of them.

Last question, is the 05-09 shield exactly the same other than the wings?

Another comment on the factory screen: there is quite a bit of optical distortion when looking down through it, anyone else notice that?

Cruzer,

The 2010 and newer slight redesign of the stock windshield provides better upper torso protection for the rider and the passenger.

I test rode several pre '10 RTs, and the added wing protection made a noticable improvement on my upper torso. I'm 5'11' and for me, the newer stock windshield offers outstanding wind protection, thereby obviating the need to purchase an aftermarket screen. Some taller/wider riders may feel the need to purchase an aftermarket windscreen, but I'm 100% satisfied. Now the stock seat, that's another story altogether, lol.

The Germans are known for function over form... I'd say they acheived that mark (function) considerably.

I believe the composite materials used for the earlier generation and newer generation screens are identical. I agree, there is some slight distortion to the windscreen when viewed from different angles.

Best/Cheers,

BB

Cruzer,
I test rode several pre '10 RTs, and the added wing protection made a noticable improvement on my upper torso. I'm 5'11' and for me, the newer stock windshield offers outstanding wind protection, thereby obviating the need to purchase an aftermarket screen. Some taller/wider riders may feel the need to purchase an aftermarket windscreen, but I'm 100% satisfied. Now the stock seat, that's another story altogether, lol.
BenDiem, good info, thanks! I'm with you on the seat, it's the worst stock seat on a bike I can remember. I have a BMW Comfort seat on order that should be here shortly. I'll report to the group on what I find.

windsheild: 05-09 vs 10+

I'm sure there are other differences between 09 and 10 because: Cee bailey made a different sheild for the 010's and later.

Back