• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

82 R65LS rear end oil seal

ind1mrg

I have a problem with oil going from the front part of the differential, driveshaft end, to the rear ring and pinion side. After looking at my Clymers and calling a top notch BMW mechainc i found it was said there is a seal between the two but he sorta let it slip that the seal is not the problem but rather the screw in piece that holds the seal is leaking around the threads. Long rant i know but this guy is known to know his stuff. I got into my tool box and the tool i use on 4X4trucks fits the screw in piece just fine but i need the tool that holds the pinion still so i can remove the nut to get everything apart and to re torque things when i'am done. He said he would do this for $60.00 but i like to do things where i can. Anyone have or know where i can find this tool.

Thanks, i know i'am not real good about how i ask a question but i thought someone would know what i was talking about, again thanks.

I have a problem with oil going from the front part of the differential, driveshaft end, to the rear ring and pinion side. After looking at my Clymers and calling a top notch BMW mechainc i found it was said there is a seal between the two but he sorta let it slip that the seal is not the problem but rather the screw in piece that holds the seal is leaking around the threads. Long rant i know but this guy is known to know his stuff. I got into my tool box and the tool i use on 4X4trucks fits the screw in piece just fine but i need the tool that holds the pinion still so i can remove the nut to get everything apart and to re torque things when i'am done. He said he would do this for $60.00 but i like to do things where i can. Anyone have or know where i can find this tool.

After getting the tool i needed i went into the rear end and i do believe that the oil leaking into the rear part of the rear end was not from the seal but rather oil getting past the nut and washer that holds the gear on that the driveshaft slides on and going down the spline. I have had my fingers into many Dana 70 diffs and and it was a problem that the oil would push out from the nut on the yoke and leak if you didn't seal that aera. Also the way the drive shaft fits over the gear it acts like a pump pushing oil.

As an alternate source of wisdom, suggest you post your ? at r65 dot org - site is dedicated to R65 owners. A friendly group!

Oh...That one!

It took three at my house to get that nut off. My wife held the tool on that funky fitting while I turned the breaker bar. My dog just watched.

I have put some miles on and the repair seems to be holding. I do think the oil is getting past the nut and washer and going down the spline to get into the ring and pinion and over filling and then the oil goes out around the brake lever rod and gets on the brake shoes. Anyway by now i would of had oil on my rim.

Back