• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

C 650 Gt DRL

SCOOTERRATON

Scooter Whisperer
Hey All!

Scooter Raton checking in! Picked up a 2013 C 650 GT yesterday, have 111 miles so far. Traded in an 07 Burgman Ex with 37K on it and of course I have a question. I don't understand the DRL feature. The button described in the manual is not there, but I have noticed sometimes upon starting that only the DRLs are lit. Other times the low beam and DRL are on. The lighting switch indicates three positions but I'm not getting it yet!

Thanks and looking forward to a fun forum with fellow scooterists!!!!:wave

The DRL switch in the manual I think is listed as "OE" (optional equipment), maybe that means the DRLs themselves are optional, not sure what they are getting at, at any rate the manuals often show stuff that is Euro only, and this is a prime case where what we ahve in the US isn't the same as in Uerope or sometimes even Canada, obviously Americans can NOT be trusted with a European headlight switch, LOL. Anyways don't be surprised if you don't have that switch, this I've learned from 25 years of BMW ownership.
As to why the low beams aren't always on i don't know, I assume the bike is running when you are checking? makes a difference.
The lighting switch indicates three positions but I'm not getting it yet!

Not sure what you mean by that, do you mean the high beam switch, that little trigger? That is eithe rin low beam position, or constant high beam (forward I believe), or you can pull it back and that's to flash your highbeam at someone (momentary contact)
WELCOME!!!
Gilly

Thanks Gilly,

Yeah I know it's common for Euro and US models to differ, with vintage Vespas it can make you crazy between US and Euro specs!. I have a small displacement modern scooter that has a headlight switch that does...nothing (US DOT reg)! This is still a new bike to me so I'll have to keep an eye on what's going on. Just have to make sure I pull up to some glass windows when parking!

I think you're right about the three markings at the headlight switch, high low and flash to pass.

Thanks for the welcome!

This is not a very good picture, but you can see three markings on my K1300S light switch.
It has low, high, and flash to pass.
I think the scooter has the same index finger light switch.

Trip6.jpg

The lighting "lever" is the same as in your photo. Refering to your photo the DRL switch should be just to the left of the hazard light switch. Mine has a knockout there but no switch. Maybe DOT nixed the idea...but I bet a switch is available somewhere!:)

Aren't the DRLs the three LED bars between the two headlamps? When I turn on the key, they come on but the low beam doesn't light until I start the engine. Similarly, the low beam stays lit after shutting off the scooter until it comes to a full stop. Once it stops, the LEDs stay lit until the ignition is turned off and 30 seconds (or so) have elapsed.

The lighting "lever" is the same as in your photo. Refering to your photo the DRL switch should be just to the left of the hazard light switch. Mine has a knockout there but no switch. Maybe DOT nixed the idea...but I bet a switch is available somewhere!:)

Yes, this is what I was trying to say. I won't be getting my scooter til the thaw, so I don't have it for reference, but yes this is common and I wasn't totally sure of the different switch. At least there isn't a switch that does "nothing", LOL. Yes usually you can buy a Euro switch if you want that button. It won't fit in to the knock-out area though, typically you are buying the whole thing.

Yes, this is what I was trying to say. I won't be getting my scooter til the thaw, so I don't have it for reference, but yes this is common and I wasn't totally sure of the different switch. At least there isn't a switch that does "nothing", LOL. Yes usually you can buy a Euro switch if you want that button. It won't fit in to the knock-out area though, typically you are buying the whole thing.

After I bought my scooter in October I was in another dealership that had the extra switch on there scooter in the showroom, though this will not change my life I would like to have had the switch. The scooter is one that slipped through and is not standard on the north American models.

Yes typically the wiring is there so I would think just the part will cover it, however with this modern age, the dealer might have to hook up the shop computer to reconfigure a module.

Aren't the DRLs the three LED bars between the two headlamps? When I turn on the key, they come on but the low beam doesn't light until I start the engine. Similarly, the low beam stays lit after shutting off the scooter until it comes to a full stop. Once it stops, the LEDs stay lit until the ignition is turned off and 30 seconds (or so) have elapsed.

Might be to select manual shifting ?

Back