• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

trouble shoot quest....2004 1150RT (SE) - Factory Radio

liftdump

Just got back from a ride. My radio is powering itself off and back on(no prior problems, 10,000 miles on bike, all stock). I noticed this the other day when it happened once. Seems to be happening when I am stopped or under 2000rpm+/- Today it happened three or four times. Within a 40 minute ride. I keep my battery on the tender every other week. I checked the volts before riding today. Fully charged was 13.02. I also thought I noticed my fog light indicator dim when this was happening. Is my battery going bad? Alternator? Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks Much

Just got back from a ride. My radio is powering itself off and back on(no prior problems, 10,000 miles on bike, all stock). I noticed this the other day when it happened once. Seems to be happening when I am stopped or under 2000rpm+/- Today it happened three or four times. Within a 40 minute ride. I keep my battery on the tender every other week. I checked the volts before riding today. Fully charged was 13.02. I also thought I noticed my fog light indicator dim when this was happening. Is my battery going bad? Alternator? Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks Much

You mention the fog light, are you riding with the fog lights on and that's why you see the fog light indicator changing brightness?

The easiest way to get to the bottom of this is:

ÔÇömeasure the voltage when the bike is running at idle, all lights on.

ÔÇöRide with a voltmeter attached and read the voltage when this is happening, or

ÔÇöIf you have a GS-911, ride and log to your computer. The GS-911 log file will show the battery voltage every 3/4 second for your whole trip. You will quickly know what's going on.

I agree with everything Roger said.

In addition:

Is that the original Battery? If so it's pretty old and owes you nothing, even though Globalrider may disagree. :D

It would be useful to know the battery voltage when the radio quits, if you don't have the tool Roger has referenced, an HF meter 'duct taped' on will suffice. $5

My guess is that you have an intermittent power connection to the radio because I think it will function OK at even 10V.

Thanks Guys,
Yes, riding with fog lights on.
Battery is coming up on three years old. I have owned the bike for the last year and half. The previous owner did not leave it on a tender while sitting in garage. I have ever since i have had it. I do not think it owes me anything either :) I think it might be a connection as well. I am a new-bee/novice at motorcycle maintenance.
Appreciate the help. Will do what you mentioned.

now..

Ok, I messed with the plugs. Was good for about 30 min into ride then radio shut off/on again, numerous times. Something new happened, bike totally shut off on me three times...while stopped at intersections. All lights on instrument panel went off, then came back on, I was able to restart like nothing happened. Maybe a wire short?

Back