• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Third Recall for New Motor GS

I own a RT. For the most part I love the bike. The only complaints I have are: What I would call a lot of driveline lash, a lot of throttle lash and I hate the mirrors, but that is easy to fix(seat too). I tried adjusting the throttle cables at the grip, but it didn't help much and it could use a quick turn throttle, if you know what I mean. I've heard the throttle by wire on the GS is a lot better. That said, the ergos on the new RT look more sporty and less adjustable, meaning look at the handlebars. If I ever get another BMW, it'll be a GSA. It fits me a lot better.

GSA's are great bikes. I tend to favor bikes that have a touring look. You can't beat the seat to footpeg relationship on a GSA. Lot's of room.

The only fly by wire I have experience with is the 6-cylinder. I really have no opinion on it as it felt a bit strange to me but again I have always been used to a throttle cable. I don't like the 6 as it is too low to the ground and it does have substantial drive line lash. We had a few customers complain about it so I contacted BMW to discuss. Their answer was the driveshaft is working as designed. I then asked why they designed lash into the system and what were the benefits in order to explain them to the customer. Of course, they had no answer and that ended the phone call. I am sad to say you cannot rely on NA's answers. They must all attend the same class because no matter who you talk to the denial is always the same.

GSA's are great bikes. I tend to favor bikes that have a touring look. You can't beat the seat to footpeg relationship on a GSA. Lot's of room.

The only fly by wire I have experience with is the 6-cylinder. I really have no opinion on it as it felt a bit strange to me but again I have always been used to a throttle cable. I don't like the 6 as it is too low to the ground and it does have substantial drive line lash. We had a few customers complain about it so I contacted BMW to discuss. Their answer was the driveshaft is working as designed. I then asked why they designed lash into the system and what were the benefits in order to explain them to the customer. Of course, they had no answer and that ended the phone call. I am sad to say you cannot rely on NA's answers. They must all attend the same class because no matter who you talk to the denial is always the same.

Similar with Apple. I have worked for independent Apple shops and they have a talking points training we had to do every year. The truth is, it is the way it is and they ain't changing it. May be they think that if there was no lash, there'd be more liability because it would be easier to wheelie. :) In any event, I am 6'5 with 34" inseam and my knees are starting to bother me after riding, even with a peg lowering kit on the RT.

Similar with Apple. I have worked for independent Apple shops and they have a talking points training we had to do every year. The truth is, it is the way it is and they ain't changing it. May be they think that if there was no lash, there'd be more liability because it would be easier to wheelie. :) In any event, I am 6'5 with 34" inseam and my knees are starting to bother me after riding, even with a peg lowering kit on the RT.

Yea, but you know what Ponch? Anyone involved in the industry is aware that drive line lash is not a desirable characteristic. You automatically know some within the customer base will complain about it. You need to get ahead of this issue. If there are benefits to having that lash you need to have talking points addressing the lash and then advise the customer through sales literature as to why it's beneficial. If there are no benefits to me it's called get it back to the engineers. Another shining example of BMW arrogance.

At your height my friend there certainly isn't much choice in the marketplace. R1200GSA with a peg lowering kit might be the ticket.

Someday US riders will form a BMWNA (BMW National Alliance) and sue the pants off of BMW NA in Federal court showing their high handed practices and complete disregard for customer expectations of suitability for intended use and safety.

Someday US riders will form a BMWNA (BMW National Alliance) and sue the pants off of BMW NA in Federal court showing their high handed practices and complete disregard for customer expectations of suitability for intended use and safety.

And someday humans will be able to jump off cliffs naked and fly by flapping their arms. :violin

Quite often all the development testing is great, and the the vehicle goes into production, maybe alternate suppliers are used for some component, purchasing decides on a lower cost part, the production personnel actually start building it at manufacturing rates, and a lot can change.

I agree with pffog. And the more complex the product, the more opportunity for issues. Producing any vehicle from concept to production is quite a task in itself. Unless you've been in engineering, manufacturing, purchasing, test/development, production, etc; for something as complex as a self powered vehicle you really don't fully understand the multitude of possible issues. Yes we expect a lot from our highly capable bikes right out of the crate, but humans are involved too.

Quite often all the development testing is great, and the the vehicle goes into production, maybe alternate suppliers are used for some component, purchasing decides on a lower cost part, the production personnel actually start building it at manufacturing rates, and a lot can change.

I agree with pffog. And the more complex the product, the more opportunity for issues. Producing any vehicle from concept to production is quite a task in itself. Unless you've been in engineering, manufacturing, purchasing, test/development, production, etc; for something as complex as a self powered vehicle you really don't fully understand the multitude of possible issues. Yes we expect a lot from our highly capable bikes right out of the crate, but humans are involved too.

Never been involved with manufacturing but I imagine it presents its share of challenges. What kind of humans ignore federal recall procedures I wonder...

Back