• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Making a Vario Top Case work on an RT??

bobframe

Will the Vario Top Case from my 2006 R1200GS work on my 2008 R1200RT? Parts guy at my dealer says nothing avaialable to allow me to mount the Vario box on the RT. I accept that as one input. I ask you....

Aftermarket mounting systems???

Did you craft your own?

Can you show me?

Ur the best.

Bob

Having had both GS and RTs in the garage (Currently a GS and my wife's R, the latter of which has the same rear rack as the RT), I don't think there are any cross-over mounting systems available. Have never seen one, but haven't really looked, either. One solution might be to go to Givi or one of the other aftermarket topcase manufacturers and get one of their mounting racks for the RT, then adapt the upper part to the GS case. Anyone else have an idea?

No Longer an Option

Sold the Varios so this is no longer an option. I am interested in an alternative to the OEM top case...maybe a Givi? Input from you folks appreciated.

I endorse the Givi. I opted for the E55 with the mounting plate made for my 2012 RT. Holds soooooo much that many times I do not even take my side bags.
Opening the lid and removing the box from my bike are both super easy!

I've had many, many Givi cases (side and top) and have always been a fan of the quality, fit, and finish. On the RT, I'm currently running the new 52L Trekker case. It's a bit less boxy and Vario-like than the 33L and 46L Trekkers and seems to go with the lines of the RT a bit better (I previously ran the 46L Trekker on the RT). The 52L, as you'd expect, is quite roomy and can easily swallow up 2 XL modular helmets. It still looks a bit smaller compared to the OEM 49L case, for some reason. Overall, I'm impressed and will most likely run this option for quite awhile, as I see no sane reason to drop $1000 on a topcase.

My Givi experience is as follows: 2 V35 sidecases, 2 33L Trekker sidecases, an E470 topcase, an E52 topcase, a V46 topcase, a 46L Trekker topcase, and now the 52L Trekker topcase. I'm thinking Givi owes me some advertising revenue! -- no affiliation with the company, just a happy customer over the years.

Back