• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Garmin GPS install on a '73 R75/5

ultracyclist

What is the best way to install a GPS on this bike?

I suppose the simplest way is just hook up the wires to the batt. These things do not use all that much current so is there a need to get involved with fuses or relays?
The unit is a 660.

TIA

I will leave it to somebody else to offer suggestions on the electrical connection.

When you are done, would be great if you could post a picture of the mechanical connection. I have an unfaired '74 /6 and have been thinking about how to install a navigator. There isn't much room, and with the euro bars, there really isn't a place to put a clamp.

Barron

GPS power

I have a Powerlet mounted on my 73 R75/5 and you can get cords for aboot any electrical device including phones, GPS, Ipods, etc. I have an EME Enduralast charging system also. I will post a pic later. My brother has doohickey for his Harley that is just 2 wires and a standard cigarette lighter outlet that clamps to the battery and frame.

Wire it straight to the battery. There is an inline fuse supplied with the wiring harness for the cradle. Some folks like switched power for their GPS, some don't (like me). You'll get all sorts of reasons why and why not. I like to be able to turn it on without using the ignition and for continuity of trip logs.

If you want switched power, you can wire into anything that is hot with the switch on because these things draw so little power. I had mine wired into the left turn signal power feed on my FZ1.

On my S3, I used an extra Battery Tender plug on the cord to the GPS so I have one plug for both.

As to mounts, I like the ones that fit into the steering head bolt hole.

Last edited:
Even with Euro bars, there should be room enough to fit the U-Bolt RAM ball. Then attach a RAM arm and cradle. Electrics - either wire the kit to the battery or if you want to move the GPS from bike to bike, attach a BMW/Powerlet male connector on the wiring kit and then you can plug it into any BMW accessory outlet.

Garmin 660 GPS install

As soon as the weather warms up a bit, I will install directly to batt. It is going to 12 degrees tonight. I think that is the easiest way.

Just eyeballing the bike in my garage, I may have to adjust both the tank bag location and the Givi screen a bit.

I can just hear Mr. Strickland whispering in the background, "It is a simple bike, keep everything simple. Do not trade one problem for another on simple bikes".

I am curious about something though. How many of you listen to Sirius radio via the 665? Personally I would find that a bit distracting given my skill sets.

I can just hear Mr. Strickland whispering in the background, "It is a simple bike, keep everything simple. Do not trade one problem for another on simple bikes".

I'm gonna give you a pass on this one.

BUT,.... given the number of times I have been led astray by other peoples GPS units, it's not the sort of thing I would want on one of my airheads.

I like the GPS because the speed readout is very accurate, unlike the bike's speedometer. My speedo reads about 10% to 12% high.

I have a Zumo 550 atop a RAM mount on euro bars on my 1974 R90/6. I hard-wired it to the battery with an in-line fuse. Pretty simple/easy installation.

I have a Zumo 550 atop a RAM mount on euro bars on my 1974 R90/6. I hard-wired it to the battery with an in-line fuse. Pretty simple/easy installation.

:wave cddude
I was afraid I would catch a lot of flack for popping a RAM ball on the '74's bars! If the young'ns are doing it...why not:brow
Not an every ride necessity...but nice when in unfamiliar surroundings.

:wave cddude
I was afraid I would catch a lot of flack for popping a RAM ball on the '74's bars! If the young'ns are doing it...why not:brow
Not an every ride necessity...but nice when in unfamiliar surroundings.

You figured people would think a GPS on an Airhead is like an automatic in a Porsche?

jforgo

ROFL!

Believe it or not, I think Porsche did have an automatic tranny available for one year in the late 70's or early 80's. Not to hijack my own thread, but I am sure a Porsche Afficiando will correct me if I am wrong.

Depending on how you define it, Porsche is still offering automatic transmissions.

Regardless, a GPS on an airhead is not like that. While not necessary, it is a nice luxury.

Back