• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Camp stove fuel availability

Texpaul

Lost again
This question is regarding the availability of the female linden valve isobutane/proapane canisters, (like MRS or Jet Boil) on the road. I know if you can find a big box sporting goods or Walmart you can find them, but I'm curious about in less populated areas without all the conveniences of modern consumerism.

I'm usually not out of an area that doesn't have a wal mart for long enough for it to matter. I carry two isobutane fuel cannisters. I'd have to be out and about away from cities for a pretty good while before I ran out of gas. You're usually never very far from a wal mart anyway, anywhere in the US. And I've found that some smaller mom and pop country stores that are a towns only source for groceries and whatnot sometimes carry the fuel canisters.

That's why I use the onepounder propane cylinders,I'll stop at any gas station and buy one before stopping for the night so I carrie it the least amount of time on the bike.

That's why I use the onepounder propane cylinders,I'll stop at any gas station and buy one before stopping for the night so I carrie it the least amount of time on the bike.

Those won't attach tot he small single burner stoves that use the isobutane mix fuel. Unless there's an adapter out there somewhere but then I don't know how the performance would suffer.

Edit-

http://adventuresinstoving.blogspot.com/2012/01/kovea-lpg-adapter.html

Might pick one of those up and see how it works.

This question is regarding the availability of the female linden valve isobutane/proapane canisters, (like MRS or Jet Boil) on the road. I know if you can find a big box sporting goods or Walmart you can find them, but I'm curious about in less populated areas without all the conveniences of modern consumerism.

No worries...there's a cannister for that.

i-Xt2LPkN-L.jpg

Should not be a problem. Just make sure that you have one extra canister of fuel on the bike. Knowing how much fuel you normally use for a meal will also give you some peace of mind. The canisters come in more than one size, depending upon the manufacturer.

You might want to check out different brands of fuel. Some are blended differently and work better in cold weather or higher elevations.

That Kovea adapter looks like something I would buy, but I can see a potential problem with pot stability when you use a bigger fuel bottle.

Last edited:
My JetBoil options;

They sell three different size gas bottles, from mini to really large ones and you could/likely never run out of burn, carrying two of these or even one with alternate stove! My alternate is the Pocket Stove with tablets and its so tiny, takes up no space to pack. The tablets burn 12 minutes each and boil water, 16oz in 2 minutes. Full pot(32oz) in 5 minutes to a boil:). Blow'em out, reuse whats left. The JB of course is a BLAST furnace and cleaner. The tablets burn clean too, but a slight residue on pots washes off easy. I carry both stoves. Anybody cooking on a JB, has learned something about heat and control to NOT burn up a meal:). A defuzer panel on these stoves helps a LOT to control heat and makes cooking a tad easier on the JBs. Ask me how I learned this! My diamond plate sidestand skid works perfect:). Randy

If testimony is what you want, I can truthfully say that I have walked into box stores(Kmart,Walmart,etc.) in areas of all sizes(and to include areas where far more people camping then most places) & not been able to buy the small canisters. Like they say"don't leave home without..."

That Kovea adapter looks like something I would buy, but I can see a potential problem with pot stability when you use a bigger fuel bottle.

The Kovea adaptor is what I've been looking for, thank you. I thought something like that existed just wasn't sure what it was called. With this I can run the small linden valve canisters when I can find them but still be able to use the larger propane bottles when I can't. Yes, stability can be an issue but that is a much easier issue to deal with than a lack of fuel.

ARGENT BRICK you should send the Kovea adaptor info into Kevin Greenwald for the Touring Tips column in the ON.

Thanks to everyone for their assistance.

The Kovea adaptor is what I've been looking for, thank you. I thought something like that existed just wasn't sure what it was called. With this I can run the small linden valve canisters when I can find them but still be able to use the larger propane bottles when I can't. Yes, stability can be an issue but that is a much easier issue to deal with than a lack of fuel.

ARGENT BRICK you should send the Kovea adaptor info into Kevin Greenwald for the Touring Tips column in the ON.

Thanks to everyone for their assistance.

Me? Why me? I can't take credit for the the Kovea adaptor. I did not find it, someone else did. I will be picking one up though. :)

If testimony is what you want, I can truthfully say that I have walked into box stores(Kmart,Walmart,etc.) in areas of all sizes(and to include areas where far more people camping then most places) & not been able to buy the small canisters. Like they say"don't leave home without..."

Click Here.

Back