• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Who has an aftermarket seat? 2013 R1200RT

Do you have/use an aftermarket seat?

• NO: I'm using the stock seat

Votes: 37 27.8%
  • YES: I have an aftermarket seat

Votes: 96 72.2%

• Total voters
I'm finding the seat on my new R1200RT quite uncomfortable after only 220 miles. I'm normally pretty easy to please seatwise, 5'10" and 170 lbs, but this thing is giving me butt burn already. Anyway, I'd like find out how many of you have gone to an aftermarket seat solution, then of those who did what seat they bought. This poll is for aftermarket seat only. Once we get that number then I'll post another one on WHICH option folks chose.
Thanks!

You are in luck. Rich's Custom Seats is right here in Kingston, WA

I have one with smooth and pebble grain leather in black with silver stitching, gel pad and heat. You go to his facility and they use your stock seat pan and custom build the seat to your arse!

I was worse than you, 40 minutes and I was squirming on the stock seat. I can now ride for hours! And it looks great too!

And from Yakima you've got a nice 3 hour ride and with a short scenic ferry ride from Edmonds to Kingston on the Kitsap Peninsula. and a bonus, you got priority boarding on all Washington State Ferries!

http://www.richscustomseats.com/

Last edited:
Here ya go, Rich's work. Of course you get to pick material, style color.

Attachments

• Rich's Custom Seat '09 RT001.jpg
    Rich's Custom Seat '09 RT001.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 227
  • Rich's Custom Seat '09 RT005.jpg
    Rich's Custom Seat '09 RT005.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 227
Last edited:
Russell Day Long for me. I did the Minute Man 1000 on it and got my Saddle Sore 1000. I lvoe it and best accessory I ever bought. I had a Rick Mayer on my 1100S and I liked it but I still found it sort of stiff. The Russell has been perfect from the first day. The Rick Mayer looked better though.

Aftermarket Seats

I also find the "showroom" seats marginal at best for the real world riding. So for the past few years I have used a Sargent on my '05 1200RT that does great for up to about 400 miles, then I get the urge to get off every 20 minutes or so. But thats Ok 'cause I like to "smell the roses" and not just eat miles.
I also have a '12 R1200GS that now has a new Seat Concepts makeover. For me it is a much more comfortable seat upgrade for this bike and much less expensive. I have used them for my other (dirt/adventure) bike I have and am extremely happy with them.

I'm your size. RDL is overkill. I liked RM but I waited too long and when it came it was minus the paid for embroidery I ordered. Other then that it's a great seat and well worthwhile the $. I got leather and I am satisfied.

Same thing happened to me. Ordered, and paid for, a seat with embroidery. Embroidery never came. Sent mail to Rick about discomfort and was told I should lose weight. Not a fan. They look nice though.

Russell has gotten my money twice and will get it again at some point. If you happen to be in California or close enough that you could ride there, I would suggest paying the extra money and getting a ride-in apointment. They'll make it that day while you wait.

Russell Day Long Aftermarket Seats

+1 Russell... all that needs to be said....

Arranged for RDL from here in Oz, using photos of me (5' 10") and Pillion (SWMBO) seated on the bike, to assist with manufacture. The whole process went without any problems.

Seats then shipped by RDL to Portland, OR where I fitted them to my 2007 R1200RT which I had shipped (in a container) to USA for a 10 week motorcycle trip.

After 10,000+ miles in the USA and a number of long day trips back home in Oz, we can report that the RDL was the best aftermarket addition to my RT - should have done it 5 years ago.

With OEM seats after 1.5 hours we were looking for a rest.
With RDL seats 1000 km+ days are not a problem.

Corbin for me, both front and rear with added heat!!! so nice... 1000 mile days not a problem, did add a alaska sheep skin late last summer and it helps change things up...

I purchased a used Corbin and it changed my comfortable ride time from about 2 hours to 8+ (basically endless). I also have the Corbin Smuggler, a convenient but expensive addition if you don't ride 2 up.

Thanks for sharing your pic. This is exactly what I intend to do... :nod

Cheers/B

I'm same size as OP at 5"-9", 175 lb. The stock seat becomes unbearable after 100 miles. I bought an Airhawk pad as a temporary solution. After a year it really grew on me and now that's all I use.

Some riders complain that you lose some feel of control by slipping slightly in the seat esp on tight turns. OTOH it has the advantage that you can remove the airhawk pad, stick it your saddlebag, and ride with full butt control on the stock seat when you get into the twisties. Great for those solo trips into the mountains.

I think the most comfortable aftermarket seats are wide tractor-styled seats so you lose the ability to shift weight and hang off (to whatever degree this 63 yo body thinks it is hanging).

Corbin for me...longest day in the saddle was 860 miles...I couldn't get past 200 on my stock seat before it became an exercise in pain endurance.

I'm on my second Baldwin Saddles custom seat. Loren is great to work with for personalized service. I wanted the seat to match the OEM two color on my 2012 GSA. Loren had me go to the local Sherwin Williams paint store and get the color to match. He then went to his supplier and created a seat and pillion seat with high quality memory foam and gel inserts.

I first came to know about Baldwin Saddles when I had a VStrom DL1000 and he made a custom seat for that. I was so impressed I wrote a review that was published in Motorcycle Consumer News. March 2012.

My seat is the GSA two tone seat halfway down the this page.
http://www.motorbikesaddles.com/Photos - BMW Motorcycles Custom Seats.htm

No interest in the business just very satisfied with a great seat that I can sit on for hours at a time.

Third bike....third Rick Mayer. That will always be my first farkle on any bike I have.

After viewing the poll results, I discover that not only am I not the only member of MOA with a bike that has the stock seat, I'm actually part of a distinct minority. :D

I'm also stock. I've done a week of moderate riding day after day and have yet to experience any pains. That said, my longest day is usually around 4-500 miles and I respect the opinion that the seat will eventually cause discomfort.

My plan is to stick with it until I have the first day of "Ouch" and then go for a RDL.

Can't wait to get a Smuggler, though. I don't ride two up - anyone I like well enough to have them pressed up against me means I like them too much to take responsibility for them being on the bike with me.

If anyone ever spots a used Smuggler for sale, let me know. ;)

Rode my $150 modified stock seat from Mean City Cycles for 10 hours yesterday. Best seat I ever had to include several Corbins and a Sargeant.

Day Russell all the way period. R1100rt, r1200rt, k75 period

I'm finding the seat on my new R1200RT quite uncomfortable after only 220 miles. I'm normally pretty easy to please seatwise, 5'10" and 170 lbs, but this thing is giving me butt burn already. Anyway, I'd like find out how many of you have gone to an aftermarket seat solution, then of those who did what seat they bought. This poll is for aftermarket seat only. Once we get that number then I'll post another one on WHICH option folks chose.
Thanks!

Day Russell all the way period. R1100rt, r1200rt, k75 period!

I can say no more! Your buns will say thanks!

I've had four Corbin's on four previous bikes, MG 850 Cx 100, R100s and R1150 R, I thought they were great. Now I own a R1200Rt and bought a RDL used from this flea market. This is the best seat I have owned. At 63 YO I can ride until I need gas and never feel any pain, and in the twisties I can shift all I want too, not as mush as thirty years ago, but still slide my butt off for the turns.
At 60+ I would go with the RDL at thirty I might go with the Corbin!

I have a Bill Mayer seat on my 83 RT and a Rick Mayer seat on my 12 RT. Both are leather covered and very comfortable. A custom seat (at least for BMW RT's) is right up there with an aftermarket suspension change as one of the best and most worthwhile mods you can spend your money on.

Back