• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Brake Master cyl leak 85 R80

r80andr100rt

The master cylinder has been on there for nearly 30 years. I changed the fluid several weeks earlier before I noticed the drip. I washed it to make sure and the leak returned so it wasn't spilled fluid. It seems to be leaking at the joint btwn the master cylinder and the hand grip assembly. I have a new replacement MC unit but I don't want to waste it. Is there a gasket in the joint? I used BMW DOT 4 fluid. The brake works fine. After a week sitting there was a table spoon worth of fluid leaked (painted parts are all protected w/ plastic sheet). Any suggestions what to do now?
mastercyl_zps4ecb491d.jpg

You can buy just the plunger that goes in the master cylinder, and replace that. Don't forget the o-ring that goes where the reservoir connects - idiotically that doesn't come with the rebuild "kit"

I had the same issue with my '81 R80G/S and bought the new (and expensive) plunder... cleaned the M/S installed the plunger and still had the leak... bought a M/S hone and very, very lightly honed the M/S and installed the new plunger again and still had the leak.

In the end I bought a new complete M/S from Motobins for not too much more than the plunger!

Back