• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Why do shocks on bikes last 1/5 the time they do on cars and cost eight times more?

Supply/inventory and inflation also affect pricing. when thumbing mindlessly thumbing an old capital cycle catalogue I was shocked to see an airhead lifter selling for $4.50. Shock pricing likewise was breathtaking.
Airheads, the bikes, surprisingly hold about the same pricing of two decades back despite large inflationary times and a devaluing dollar. times are good, and not so good depending on parts purchasing today.

The economics are simple regardless of whether it is Capitalism or any other system. The cost of the manufacturing equipment has to be spread over the number of units produced and sold. The cost per unit is more for a few thousand produced for motorcycles than it is when several hundred thousand are produced for cars. I just priced a fuel filter for my 2001 Ford Escape. The $9.99 filter will fit over 1,000 different vehicles (720 Fords alone). The manufacturing equipment cost per unit for the filter is very low.

Having spent more than most people on auto & bike parts I could also argue that who's selling the parts makes far more difference in the end user price than the manufacturing volume. Buy that filter @ a box store vs a car dealer's parts counter vs. a parts wholesaler that has generic version. I like to watch the Shark Tank on TV to see the ideas people come up with and it's also interesting to hear their mfg cost, wholesale vs retail price points etc too. FWIW, this old guy got an "A" in micro & macro econ. I have bought a few items on ebay the past few years that were made in/shipped from Hong Kong or mainland China & it's absolutely amazing that they can make something & mail it to me with signature required, no less! for those prices. I just got 2 large,~7-8" long, graduated syringes/with tubing too! to use for fork oil & other shop fluids. They cost less than $4 for both incl shipping.
I've had enough snow,please stop...

Back