• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Why do shocks on bikes last 1/5 the time they do on cars and cost eight times more?

Beemer01

I'm really curious about this. I suspect many of us ride around on shocks that are past their prime and we just don't notice. When faced with replacement - often because they have started to leak in my case - we're told to go with the 'good stuff' in the aftermarket world and face a $1700 tab...or even more..to replace and upgrade two shocks.

A set of two shocks and two struts for my BMW cage can be done for $400 installed! And the OE stuff on my car will easily last 100,000 miles.

Can anyone shed light on this?

The more limited a market, the greater the cost to bring a product to market. And shocks for bikes vary greatly between various bike brands, applications within brands and even personal preferences. If someone can find a good cheap shock at sears with the right mounts, length, adjustability, compression, for an airhead, I'm sure they sell a couple dozen, maybe. Imagine removing all cars from our highways and byways for enough time to see "all" the motorcycles. there aren't that many of us out there, thus limited market.

I am not sure, whether mc shocks last 1/5 of car shocks. You most certainly feel a bad shock easier and thus earlier on a mc than a car. You would be surprised how many people drive around in their car with bad shocks.
As fara s pricing is concerned, you have to compare apples and apples. You can buy a set of shocks for a dual shock bike for $300.-. For a car you are just buying the damper part, not the complete strut.
Now, if you look at a single rear shock from ?ûhlins, that's a different story. But then again, a set of coilover, double adjustment shocks for my Corvette is $2,500.-

Motorcycles are toys for boys with egos--this stuff always brings a higher price. Motorcycles as basic transportation is fantasy.

Note: please don't be insulted by this ... I'm a participant, too. Just not deluded it can be cheap.

Plus, other posters are correct, i.e. fewer customers. If motorcycles were a lucrative market, you'd see cheapo shocks from Monroe, Napa, etc. Econ 101.

All of the above plus...

Motorcycle shocks are typically more sophisticated than what one would find on their North American sedan. Gas charged, deflected washer, aluminum bodied, with specific valving shocks for the bike versus an automotive mild steel, damper rod, non-adjustable style for many cars.

Having said that, there are $1400 shocks available for my car which would be the equivalent to the type of unit I might put on my bike. http://performanceshock.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1183

I am somehow resisting the urge. :laugh

Rebuild

I have my Wilburs rebuilt. Cheap and incredible service. I ride two up and loaded and still get over 30,000 miles on a rebuild.

"THE MAN" wants to keep bikers down by overcharging for shocks and tires designed to wear out before the fist plug change. My HD buds realized this and invested in trailers for their bikes. Now they wear out the trailer tires and shocks and not their bikes. BRILLIANT!

Motorcycles are toys for boys with egos--this stuff always brings a higher price. Motorcycles as basic transportation is fantasy.

For you, maybe.

For those of us who don't use motorcycles as a lifestyle accessory, this is incorrect. As opposed to my truck, my motorcycles have paid for themselves in fuel efficiency alone.

For you, maybe.

For those of us who don't use motorcycles as a lifestyle accessory, this is incorrect. As opposed to my truck, my motorcycles have paid for themselves in fuel efficiency alone.

Yes, me too! Lived in Los Angeles for years without a cage; saves lots of $$$, not to mention time not rotting on a stopped freeway.

For you, maybe.

and all so true in the 2nd & 3rd worlds of course where bikes(with & w/o engines) are the travel machines:blah:blah and- those people are not buying pricey shocks like some here:whistle

Why they cost more?

Chrome or powder coated springs, polished aluminum housings, fancy reservoirs, steel braided lines, multi adjustable settings.

We demand they look nice so they cost more! Simple!

We're NOT alone;

Been in a 4X4 shop lately, or see what those jacked up 4X rigs put on. Its quite easy to see their suspensions, as its right in your face. I imagine they spend as much as my bikes total value in some cases? I just got 2200$ worth of Ohlins on my GSA and took my huge pain PILL, before I took the plunge:(. Its a topic, makes me kinda sick spending that much. Good question, cannot be answered well enough to satisfy my sink hole in my bank account. Randy

For you, maybe.

No need to be defensive--my post describes the industry and its perception of the majority of its customers. While you may feel differently about your "lifestyle" that doesn't change the pricing of parts and accessories for motorcycles. Of course "fuel alone" costs the same per gallon for bikes and your truck. Cost of tires per mile ... something else again.

Why they cost more?

Chrome or powder coated springs, polished aluminum housings, fancy reservoirs, steel braided lines, multi adjustable settings.

We demand they look nice so they cost more! Simple!
I don't buy that argument because lots of cheap automotive aftermarket stuff is chromey but still junk. Chrome/powder coats is sort of cheap in any sort of volume.

I ride for pleasure now days as no job commute , thus transportation is kind of secondary unless you count that I also like to travel to be somewhere else on its own merits & the bike gets me there in a certain fashion. So that means I'm stroking my ego? I don't get that one? I don't fit into the "lifestyle accessory" category very well , IMO as never been much of a poser.

Capitalism is the only economic system I'm familiar with. And it's pretty simple.

Whatever the market Will bear is what will be charged. And wherever cost of production is most profitable is where the parts will be manufactured. Nothing is ever written in stone but that seems to be the driving force for the majority of companies.

Companies spend a lot of money convincing people that they should buy their product . And it's human nature to perceive that the item that they purchased for a considerable sum is the best regardless of actual proof.

Wall street has made a science of all the human emotions that go into consumer purchases.

They definitely have have my number

Yeh, I drank the auto/MC koolaid long ago but then there are posers & others of us that are just self indulgent?:brow Capitalism wins. I suppose they've got you either way... :banghead

The economics are simple regardless of whether it is Capitalism or any other system. The cost of the manufacturing equipment has to be spread over the number of units produced and sold. The cost per unit is more for a few thousand produced for motorcycles than it is when several hundred thousand are produced for cars. I just priced a fuel filter for my 2001 Ford Escape. The $9.99 filter will fit over 1,000 different vehicles (720 Fords alone). The manufacturing equipment cost per unit for the filter is very low.

Back