• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Newbie with a fuel leak

Just wondering if you really need the quick disconnects or can you rig it direct and deal with the inconvenience of draining fuel on my next repair. :dunno If you did rig it, I'd love to know what you used.
The QDs are convenient, but are not required. You can go to about any parts store and get the correct size brass barb to connect two lines. Use a sleeve type clamp, not the cheap worm gear clamps.

A-290.jpg

There's not a lot of genius required to figuring out this problem. It's common and been written up here loads of times. As Roger04RT already stated you can first try replacing the viton o rings (simple easy fix) if the leak is from in between the two connectors and there are no breaks or cracks in them. If your current parts are OK and just need o rings this is the preferred fix.

If you decide to go for the barb the size you need is 5/16".

If you want to switch them out for a much cheaper alternative and plenty here would advise against it these do
work:

http://www.aerostich.com/gas-line-quick-disconnect.html

$16 each won't break the bank.

No matter what you do as Lee said use fuel injection hose clamps NOT the cheapo plumbing clamps. Like this one from O'Reilly auto parts. 52fseries.jpg

Two quick thoughts. First, pretty much everyone agrees that thee QDs are worth the money. There are a bunch of maintenance tasks that require you to remove the tank. You'll be much happier if you have a high-quality set of QDs installed.

Second, your current fuel lines are 11 years old. This is an ideal time to replace them. You will probably damage them getting the old QDs off anyway.

So, buy a set of QDs and a few feet of 5/16" i.d. fuel injection-rated line. Rebuild the whole setup. Heck, as long as you're doing that, you might as well replace the fuel filter. Maybe pull it out of the tank and install it externally. Might as well bleed the brakes while you have the tank off also.

On the road again! Thanks for all the tips. I ended up buying 4' of fuel injection fuel line and fuel injection hose clamps. I was able to carefully get the crimp-on clamps off without having to take the tank off and replaced the line from the tank down to the hard plastic lines. I know it will be little more inconvenient than having the quick disconnects but I like not having that potential leak spot hanging right over he heads.

I'm ordering a repair manual but does anyone know where I can download or get an owners manual for an 1150RT? Dealer says they can't get the 1150 any longer.

Thanks!
cajun

Last year I replaced the male end of the quick disconnects. I was told by Ted Porter at the Beemershop that the female ends arent a problem. All he sells are the metal male ends. I cant verify if this is true or not.

Last year I replaced the male end of the quick disconnects. I was told by Ted Porter at the Beemershop that the female ends arent a problem. All he sells are the metal male ends. I cant verify if this is true or not.

That would seem to make sense because the female end is supported by hose.

Back