• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Oilhead fuel filter equivalent? 2000 R1150GS

Visian

look out!!!
Tried search and got nothing... maybe someone knows.

Dealer price for fuel filters is $35... insane.

I've seen the outside the tank option, but is there an auto parts store equivalent for use inside the tank?

Thanks in advance.

Ian

I don't know about the 1150GS, but my K100RT and my R1100RT both use the same fuel filter, NAPA Gold 3032, which I believe is in the $5.00 - $6.00 range. I use the NAPA Gold inside the tank of the K, but since moving the filter to outside the R's tank, and the BMW filter has a higher PSI, use the BMW filter on that bike. Hope that helps. I thought that the 1150s didn't come out until 2001.

Same filter for R1150s as for R1100 and K bikes.

Paul, I am curious. Why would you want to use the high pressure filter on your R bike when it sits outside of the tank, but not find it necessary when it sits inside the tank? A ruptured fuel filter will not work and will leave you stranded, regardless of it's location.

Less expensive sourcing.. http://www.beemerboneyard.com/16142325859.html

ah, jeesh... why didn't I think of beemer boneyard? :dunno

According to the parts fiche at Max, 1150GS was available as early as 1998. I bought mine in July of 2000.

ian

Same filter for R1150s as for R1100 and K bikes.

Paul, I am curious. Why would you want to use the high pressure filter on your R bike when it sits outside of the tank, but not find it necessary when it sits inside the tank? A ruptured fuel filter will not work and will leave you stranded, regardless of it's location.

Less expensive sourcing.. http://www.beemerboneyard.com/16142325859.html

I just assumed that if the fuel filter should burst and if it's inside the tank, then the fuel will be contained as compared to when outside the bike, possibly spewing gas all over the place. Changing the filter on the K is relatively simply, even with it in the gas tank.I didn't realize that a ruptured fuel filter would not be messy. :dunno

I never had a problem, but an additional fuel filter is one item I carry with me when travelling, just in case one is needed.

Paul.....if you can......would you be so kind as to show us some pics of your external fuel filter ......I have my tank off the bike at the moment and am planning on changing out the fuel filter.....some further insight is appreciated

Last edited:
Paul.....if you can......would you be so kind as to show us some pics of your external fuel filter ......I have my tank off the bike at the moment and am planning on changing out the fuel filter.....some further insight is appreciated

I can't really help you much for a couple of weeks or so until I take the Tupperware off the bike. I had an independent mechanic do the removal from the tank and install it outside the bike. It's been like this for a couple of years but this year I will loosen all of the ties to see if it can be moved a couple of inches closer to the back, to neatly tuck in behind the black plastic. If not I'll buy a new fuel line and extend it a bit further away from the tank. At the present time, it doesn't allow the black plastic piece to be snuggly inserted into place with the top front plastic bolt not totally secured. As well, moving it back a bit would allow one to not have to remove the side panel to get at it, which would be handy if it had to be changed while on the road. A friend has his tucked well in behind the plastic, as I recall, possibly above the rider's right foot peg. When the plastic comes off, I'll PM you show you more detailed pictures. I know that I have seen a thread on this on this site, but I am unable to find it today. For now, hope this gives you an idea of my setup.

Cheers!

Paul

Attachments

• 000 Fuel Filter.jpg
    000 Fuel Filter.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 190
I just put a new fuel filter in my 1150 yesterday. I had changed the OEM at 45.5K miles with a Mann MKW44 from the Boneyard. Couldn't wait for one from them so after reading many threads I put in a Napa 3032 which cost all of about $3.50. Also replaced the big O ring was $10

see edited post #8. Directions, pictures, the whole shebang. And no waiting.
The Internet BMW Riders site has good instructions, but I don't believe that it includes pictures. If you check this link, this thread does include pictures of a couple of different ways of doing this. Having found this link, I have now seen the fuel filter in four different locations, including my friend's which is mounted somewhere north of his right foot peg. I am not taking credit for the location of mine, but I think that it's location (with my modification this summer) should make it the second easiest to access. http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?48370-Fuel-Filter-Mod

Good luck with your modifications!

My outside the tank filter(solid steel Wally world variety) is mounted on the top of the air filter cannister and has a SS hose clamp holding it in place via a screw already found there. Handy/cheap solution.

The search engine seems to have been cut short with the new forum setup, so -

Here's my setup; the filter is a WIX p/n 33032, rated for everything from a four-cylinder Toyota up to a big honkin' V8 Caddy; available at many auto parts stores for about $5.

Don't forget to change the filter on the intake side of the fuel pump too - water or particles in the gas can kill the pump. There is a non-BMW alternative to that too but I don't have that info handy.

Attachments

• extfilter.jpg
    extfilter.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 95
And here's the clip that mounts it to the top of the air filter box; no I don't have a part number fer that either...

Attachments

• filter clip.jpg
    filter clip.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 93
I routed mine "in one side , out the other" which is no big deal & use the same filter but a SS clamp with a hole in the bottom for the same screw. Simple variations to consider but same result: cheap,easily changed filter with more lines giving tiny bit of new fuel capacity.

Another option showing external fuel filter with clamp and hose routing. I tried installing fuel filter below throttle body but then was unable to get side fairing panel back on without forcing. This install allows easy access behind small black panel cover.

Mark

Attachments

• BMW fuel filter and fairing tab 001.jpg
    BMW fuel filter and fairing tab 001.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 54
  • BMW fuel filter and fairing tab 002.jpg
    BMW fuel filter and fairing tab 002.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 54
External Fuel Filter Install

While performing some wintertime maintanence on our 1100RT, I removed the OEM filter, and replaced the filter void with a length of 5/16 ID tubing. Also replaced the 180 degree hose with the flex line from euromotoelectics.com .
The new filter was installed behind the rear black plastic cover along with new fuel injection rated fuel lines. Now the filter has easy access when it needs to be replaced.
As I was unable to get the fuel filter of choice, a WIX 33323 filter, a Luber finer FF733 filter from Autozone was installed . Same filter, different manufacturer.

FUELFILTER1.jpgFUELFILTER2.jpg

Back