• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Volunteers, we need you.

martinph

Prefers to play
March is here and time to think about what you would like to do at the Rally. All sorts of Committee Chairs will be looking for your help. As has been said many times before, "the Rally can not happen without Volunteers." Please step up!

I am looking for people who don't mind driving around in circles. We need drivers and spotters for the Shuttle. (pick up truck with hay wagon)

Thank you.
Shuttle Committee Chair.:usa :ca

Last edited:
I drove at last years rally in Sedalia, I have experiance and a CDL and would be more than happy to drive again. :thumb

As co-chair of the Volunteers Committee last year, it was very disheartening to discover that far too many committees were overwhelming short of the needed number of volunteers to work their scheduled shifts. It did take a lot of fast talking to get enough rally goers to donate a few hours on a shift. Without the volunteers, the rally would really be handicapped in providing services that we have all come to expect. I can not emphasis enough that folks should contact committee chairs prior to the rally to offer their time. Volunteering is a great way to meet and create new friendships. As well it is a lot fun. Don't wait until the rally to signup; now is the time to volunteer.

Volunteers

As co-chair of the Volunteers Committee last year, it was very disheartening to discover that far too many committees were overwhelming short of the needed number of volunteers to work their scheduled shifts. It did take a lot of fast talking to get enough rally goers to donate a few hours on a shift. Without the volunteers, the rally would really be handicapped in providing services that we have all come to expect. I can not emphasis enough that folks should contact committee chairs prior to the rally to offer their time. Volunteering is a great way to meet and create new friendships. As well it is a lot fun. Don't wait until the rally to signup; now is the time to volunteer.

Paul, I couldn't agree more with your comments.... Last year was my first international rally, (Sedalia, MO.) having just bought a new to me KRS...... I volunteered for one evening at the registration desk, and had a ball meeting new folks as they first arrived at the rally. I only had a chance to stay a couple of evenings, but found the volunteer experience on of the highlights of the rally. It's a great way to meet folks, especially since I attended solo, so I would whole heartily recommend providing a little time to make this valuable asset to BMW riders another success. So, for this years rally, I've again signed up for some spots, and would encourage everyone to take advantage of this opportunity to make the rally enjoyable for everyone who attends:bikes.... I would encourage everyone to consider at least one volunteer activity. I hope to see everyone at this years rally and wish you the best on developing a solid list of volunteers who see the value of activities worth more than just the pleasure of attendance.....Walt E. :wave

First timer challenge

I to am a first time International rally attendee. I would like to issue a challenge to all first time rally goers to sign up for at least one 4hour shift. Why? Why not. I signed up to meet people and to arrive early and get my arms around the great and wonderful gathering of like minded people all intent on doing one thing. I am riding 2000 miles plus ( one way ) to go to work and support a organization that promotes the sport and serves the people that love what I love. It's not work anymore than the things you do around your own home, because you care.

So here it is folks...you saw it coming and you know the speiel.....,if you care you will give a bit of yo'ur precious time to a larger cause, a great organization ( mostly volunteeres ) that has provided for you, guess what, the reason you are going to Salem to begin with. It's not rocket science.

Here is the challenge. I will be there the day before the rally begins thru Sunday. I have six shifts scheduled for the registration desk. I will be wearing a name tag with my forum name - BINKLEYLANE - and/or you can find me by my license plate RT4ME , see avatar above.
Find me, shake my hand and tell me you have also volunteered and I will give you a ticket for a ice cold beer.:bottleHopefully we will all meet in the beer tent and celebrate our good fortune and this great organization, the BMWMOA.

Oh yea....don't wait too long because I am committing to only 50 tickets. That is 50 volunteers. 50 shifts. And anyone that wants to match my challenge, I will buy you a beer too.:wave. Wow, hope the beers aren't $5.00 a pop, ouch:banghead
I am guessing they will go quickly. PM me and I will forward my volunteer schedule. It's just too easy.:drink:drink

See you all in Salem.:brow

BINKLEYLANE

Barley and I will be volunteering again this year. Last year my vicious dog was placed on the Security Team. But coming all the way from Vermont we're not in a position to commit to a particular day and time yet. We'll see what gaps there are when we arrive and pitch in to help.

The vicious guard dog:
790ec0bb.jpg

Barley and I will be volunteering again this year. Last year my vicious dog was placed on the Security Team. But coming all the way from Vermont we're not in a position to commit to a particular day and time yet. We'll see what gaps there are when we arrive and pitch in to help.

The vicious guard dog:
790ec0bb.jpg

It looks like the cat is about to have dinner, Barley?

I never noticed the cat! That's Nasdaq, 21 pounds of feline muscle. He was once attacked by a fisher (smallish member of the badger family) and mauled his attacker so badly the fisher died of infected wounds a week later. Compared to that predator, Goldens are pushovers.

Nasdaq rules the house, but he does NOT like the sidecar!

I to am a first time International rally attendee. I would like to issue a challenge to all first time rally goers to sign up for at least one 4hour shift. Why? Why not. I signed up to meet people and to arrive early and get my arms around the great and wonderful gathering of like minded people all intent on doing one thing. I am riding 2000 miles plus ( one way ) to go to work and support a organization that promotes the sport and serves the people that love what I love. It's not work anymore than the things you do around your own home, because you care.

Hey Brinkleylane, Looks like you'll be riding some of the same roads that I will on the ride west.... Are you planning on going west to Utah and then north, or through Nebraska, Wyoming, Idaho, etc? I'll be in the registration booth along with you on opening day, and plan on being at the site early to help set-up! No need for a beer ticket, but look forward to meeting you! Walt E.

Golden Babys

I never noticed the cat! That's Nasdaq, 21 pounds of feline muscle. He was once attacked by a fisher (smallish member of the badger family) and mauled his attacker so badly the fisher died of infected wounds a week later. Compared to that predator, Goldens are pushovers.

Nasdaq rules the house, but he does NOT like the sidecar!

I know too well. We have three; Gillen Gaden and Gus, the old man. Gus is pushing 14 and still going strong but blind in one eye and gets lost on our lot. They are great dogs and I decided long ago that when I come back its going to be as a Golden. I over heard them one night when they thought I was asleep, on their bed by the way. They were discussing how they had finally got us trained and now they were going to start some new exercises to help Marsha and I be better people. If you think you are smart....consider the Golden Retriever.

Love the name, kind of unruly, like the NASDAQ. I have a big male all white cat that fought off a Red, I saw it happen. Now he is always looking up when he is outside. Talk about feathers a flying. The Red Tail got the worst of that encounter.

Gus is on the right with his older brother Buster, now in the afterlife for great dogs.

Hope to see you at Salem or on the road there.

Bob

Attachments

• Jays pics 044.jpg
    Jays pics 044.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 265

Hey Brinkleylane, Looks like you'll be riding some of the same roads that I will on the ride west.... Are you planning on going west to Utah and then north, or through Nebraska, Wyoming, Idaho, etc? I'll be in the registration booth along with you on opening day, and plan on being at the site early to help set-up! No need for a beer ticket, but look forward to meeting you! Walt E.

Most likely the North route. I have a brother that lives in the woods of Montana that I have not seen for a long time. I believe he was a neighbor of the UNIBOMER. If you are looking for a riding partner let me know. I love riding but its is more fun with like minded folks.
And the beer is on me.:thumb I am looking forward to meeting you.

Bob

Goldens

Brinkleylane,
I agree with your love of Goldens.... ours, (Scully) is moving on 12 years old now, pretty much blind, but still loves to dance around for a cookie or two.....Best dog friend I've every had, and we've had a menagerie of pets over the years.....

Thanks for the offer to link up on the ride, but I'm going to do this one solo this time.... Looking forward to the ride completely on my own terms, so I'll see you up there when you get there...

Ride safe and have fun in Montana! Walt E.

We'll be taking the middle road: Sandhills of NE up to the Badlands and Black Hills, then 14 and 14A across northern WY, Chief Joseph and Beartooth up to Columbus MT. Will probably slab from there to Missoula, then 12 from Lolo to Lewiston, 129 south to Enterprise, back up to Walla Walla and over to Rainier, down to Spirit Lake on the east side of St Helens, across the Columbia and down the West Cascades to Crater Lake, over to the coast and up to Lincoln City for a hotel and a hot shower before heading to the rally.

We're hard to miss so if you see our bright yellow sidecar along the way be sure to say hello. Would enjoy company over a campfire, though prefer to ride solo.

Pete and Barley

We're hard to miss so if you see our bright yellow sidecar along the way be sure to say hello. Would enjoy company over a campfire, though prefer to ride solo.

Pete and Barley[/QUOTE]

I look forward to some good stories over the campfire....Walt E.

volunteer

I wrote the head of security almost 2 weeks ago about my buddy and I doing it again. No response?
Maybe it's too early to get on the list. I'll write again in a few weeks.
Ken Denton

But how?

So I when I first heard about volunteers needed I quickly started trying to volunteer. Everyone seemed excited but yet told me basically to wait till I got there and sign up then. I'm not sure if that was the best advice since now here I am with a week off, live in Roseburg Oregon, have a BMW, truck and am a professional in the medical field and not yet signed up for a volunteer responsibilities...

And my wife is interested too!

My opinion is that there should be obvious sign up sheets to put your name where you want.

Btw, i am still volunteering but just waiting till i get there.

If there IS an easier way I am all ears.

It is up to the individual Committee Chairs. The Registration, Beer and Shuttle committees have all asked for Volunteers on the forum. I'm looking for people still.
Martin. Shuttle Committee Chair.

i can help shuttle committee chair guy

It is up to the individual Committee Chairs. The Registration, Beer and Shuttle committees have all asked for Volunteers on the forum. I'm looking for people still.
Martin. Shuttle Committee Chair.

so... what next?

Back