• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Camp Stove for Bike

I ordered the 8 dollar stove from Amazon and it finally got here. It is small!

I also found a used Jetboil for a good price after I ordered the Amazon unit.

Should be fun to put them both through their paces and see how they compare.

...a reasonably priced /2?

Ah, I wish.....:)

It's funny about Svea's - there're still hardcore backpackers out there who love the things, like "senior" Airhead owners who still love their points and condenser systems. :D

Last edited:
Svea impresses

I love to start up the Svea around a group of campers who have never seen one. I prime it with alcohol (heat) or coleman fluid. Invite them to come close and watch your stove then touch it off... foooom. Just don't let them throw dirt or water on it! They scatter and cover their ears to get ready for the explosion they think is coming. Then open the valve and release the jet engine noise! I love it every time I use it.
Really it is a great stove. Mine with the jetboil housing is modern enough and will simmer a frypan, something the jetboil burner is really is not good at. You always have fuel in the bike's tank but coleman is better for them. There are no canisters to recycle. The tank is good for 45+ minutes of burning on high so you may not need extra fuel for a weekend camping trip.
I do have a /2 (pre/2 really as it's a 1959 R60) and an oil head so I have a jetboil complete set up too. I've had the china stove too. Good heater but flimsily pot support. I might get another if ebay has another for $6.95.
Ralph

Yeah, the pot supports don't look that great. The whole stove does not look that good, really. What do you want for eight bucks. The customs export label gives the stove a declared value of 5 dollars and the balance is for shipping to the US. I don't see how they can make it for so little. It's kinda scary to think there is a profit margin in that five bucks. They must cut cost somewhere. Quality Control? What's that? I still have not fired up my stove. Who knows, it may go boom.

Last edited:
I use to backpack with one of these.

I really liked it; other than it was very dirty.

Depending on the trip. I use either the Jetboil or a ZZStove by Sierra. The ZZ uses sticks for fuel and an AA battery for the blower. With burning wood, I have no trouble scavenging for fuel and also get the serenity that comes along with building the fire.

View attachment 39882

Riding to the Rally in July, I'll be packing the Jetboil. Already stocked up on fuel and a coffee press.

I just picked up a Jetboil today at REI. Since I will only be boiling water for a freeze-dried meal or two, It will work fine for me. Tried it out tonight for first time. Heated two cups of water to boiling in about 2 1/2 minutes.

I just picked up a Jetboil today at REI. Since I will only be boiling water for a freeze-dried meal or two, It will work fine for me. Tried it out tonight for first time. Heated two cups of water to boiling in about 2 1/2 minutes.

Which one? Flash, Sol, what?

It really does not make any difference, they are all nice stoves. It's my understanding that you can get anything and everything for them.

I picked up my used Jetboil Flash dirt cheap at a REI used gear sale. It is not in very good shape, but it works. The bowl and lid are in very bad condition and the whole thing needs to be cleaned. I tried not to like the Jetboil because I already own a MSR Reactor.
The Reactor is a great stove but has a big heavy pot. Just a little too bulky for my taste.

I still have not fired up my stove. Who knows, it may go boom.

I used mine 3 weeks ago in WV, cooked hotdogs for supper and boiled water for coffee and oatmeal. Worked fine, was impressed with the flame control, didn't burn the hotdogs before they were hot the whole way through. Support could be better, but for $6.87 I'm not complaining!

Coleman dual fuel is my choice also. But DIY alcohol is fun, too

I'm with Paul on the gas stove, the Coleman dual fuel single burner. I think mine is a Peak 1 model 442, current is a 533. It is small and unlimited fuel is as close as the carb bowl. (if you have an airhead). It regulates really nicely. I even use it as a spare stove outside in the summer when cooking. It's that manageable. Starts well, burns clean, cools quickly, packs small, fuel always available. I just don't like how the jet boil and other similar require specialized fuel. Especially since the caloric output and control from this stove is so good.
Now if you really want economical, this pop can stove burns Heet (yellow bottle, methanol, not red bottle, iso-propanol) or denatured alcohol, and it's free. I used to help the Boy Scouts make them for our backpacking trips. Use a heavy sewing needle to make the jets, score the can with a pocketknife to cut it, use a penny to seal the fill hole. Boils water for one in a few minutes and fits in a large shirt pocket.
http://zenstoves.net/BasicSideBurner.htm
There are a ton of other DIY alcohol stoves at zen stoves, and you can really go nutso with them. All the ones I tried work well enough. And after you make a few, and get the hang of it (do it during commercials watching football!) you realize that on-the-road kitchen expansion is quite easy. Build what you need, when you need it. You can best regulate heat with different stoves. 8 holes is a simmer stove, 12 low heat, 16 or more high heat.
Just one more fascination to drive your partner nuts.

Last summer at REI, I discovered that they had a "hand out" sheet listing many stoves & their opinion as to what type of cooking each was good for. Many were rated best for boiling water, some, they felt were capable of producing more complicated cuisine.

I saw a recommendation that an electric outlet cover metal plate (for a dual sized box) placed between the stove & vessel aided the heat distribution on a Jetboil stove. Haven't tried it yet. I'm a bit concerned about heating galvanized metal releasing harmful fumes.

MSR international

I use an MSR International stove- it burns anything- even gas siphoned right out of your bike.
It's loud as all get out tho, one down side. Another is its somewhat limited range of heating... It doesn't simmer down too well. Then again, I use it almost exclusively for boiling water, or boiling something...
Also, I've used white gas, and gasoline a couple times, but mostly I use LPG or some sort of compressed fuel canister.
Expensive, yes- but dependable and guaranteed to come thru in a fuel-availability pinch. Worst case- use gasoline, which, on a bike, you'll [hopefully] always have in good supply.

As for cookware, I use an old-school stainless steel stacking mess kit. Nothing fancy but gets the job done.

Here's a link to the stove on MSR's site.
http://www.cascadedesigns.com/msr/stoves/simple-cooking/whisperlite-international-2012/product

Last Sumer, in Europe, I camped with a friend who had a trangia. It worked well but it's pretty big- tho it's all-in-one, pots, stove, everything packs into one bundle- roughly 10"diameter X 8-9" tall? (Guessing from memory) and you still need to carry alcohol/fuel.
Admittedly, reasonably efficient. One other potential downside- it's aluminum. At least, his is.

Back