• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Camp Stove for Bike

Sterno works great for slow heating stuff like canned goods that's for sure. Sometimes the jet boils and other similar stoves will heat too fast and in too small an area.

Well, after reading all of the post, I can see an advantage in having two forms of heating food and water. Something that can burn unleaded fuel would be nice for long trips, but the ease and convenience of a small propane or solid fuel/ETOH stove that I could drop into the tank bag would be nice.

My choice...

Jet Boil is the way to go. Electronic start, compact fuel containers, super fast heating. It may take you longer to get the water to your campsite than it does to get hot water. Many sites will sell the stove unit with a french press coffee filter system. Mine was around $100 w/ shipping three years ago. Just be sure to use fairly coarse ground coffee, though, you'll end up with a coffee explosion if you get too rugged with the plunger.

Marchyman

what kind of lantern is that next to the stove with the windscreen?

TIA,

sdc

Clickstand with wind shield on the right

p-20090828-1649-5600.jpg

for me

I really DISLIKE liquid fuel stoves. It always seems to permeate everything else that you store near it.

For that reason, i use a propane stove. I don't make a lot of meals on the road, but i can cook just about anything that i want, from a quick one boil-in-a-bag, to a three course meal....

Bike camping stove

I really like my jetboil stove. I've it for about 5 years now and use it often while out on the road camping. Everything is easy about it and the fuel smell doesn't go into other things. Canisters are the way to go in my book. They light easily and last long. I've had coleman white gas stoves, other liquid fuel stoves. They all worked well but the jetboil is far less hassle to use. A+ in my book.

Last edited:
what kind of lantern is that next to the stove with the windscreen?

A Coleman Xcursion model 9970-725. It is no longer made. It was one of the many Coleman devices made to use their Powermax fuel which was a 35% propane, 65% N. Butane blend that would burn in cold temps and came in very light, recyclable aluminum canisters. Coleman no longer makes/sells that fuel. Currently available fuel cartridges can be used IF you fill the lantern while holding the fuel canister up (lantern upside down). You want the liquid fuel to transfer to the lantern's tank.

I've also a stove that used the Powermax fuel. Luckily I purchased an adapter that lets me use standard canisters for that, too, should I ever desire to augment my trangia burners.

Many of you camp when you go riding. What camp stove and cookset do you use when traveling on your bike? Why did you pick that model over any other?

I just have to ask. Thanks.
A friend of mine turned me on to the Trangia line of stoves. I have used MSR stuff in the past and was happy with them but did like having to clean the burners and the loud noise they made. After using the Trangia I and sold! Absolutely quiet and the alcohol fuel is available everywhere. Super simple in operation and packs down very small. Also, any wind is not a problem.

In some locations fuel cannisters can be hard if not impossible to buy. If flying they are a nogo with TSA so if you might fly & hike or fly & rent a bike , I'd go with a gasoline burner stove per PG's suggestion. I sold my Optimus on ebay several yrs ago for a jillion times what I paid for it to a guy in Chile. I sold my MSR for twice what I paid on ebay & now use a cheaper coleman that works for me.

HERE'S an oldie!

I just got a "Pocket Stove" sold at Aerostitch for 16$:). Now how can you get any better/simpler? Its a fuel tab type stove and very primatively designed. Much like the old and still around Sterno fold up stoves, but! This thing boils 16oz of water in 2 minutes and 32oz in less than 5, all by tablet fuel source. Now, I have others and carry my JetBoil still, but this tiny efficient, almost unreal small and easy to carry anywhere on the bike is my second and maybe even my first choice. German made and so very minimalist kinda packing unit. Each tablet burns way hot for about 12 minutes and savable if not used up. This is by FAR the easiest cooker I have ever found and now joins my fleet of stoves:). Randy

I posted earlier about using a Coleman dual fuel stove that burns tank gas. I'll add to that the fact that we travel generally on the bikes for four to five months every summer. We travel mostly in the west, often camp for several days at an out of the way location, and almost never go to cities of any size unless we absolutely have to. When my 20 plus year old Coleman stove failed I got a cheap single burner stove that uses standard hardware store propane cylinders. Those I could find at even small country hardware stores. For the way and places we travel a specialized canister for a stove just isn't practical from a logistics standpoint.

For folks who are out for a few days who can haul a canister or two some of the newer stoves are perfect but for how, where, and how long we travel gas from the bike is the practical way to go.

For a low cost alternative to jetboil check out this at Amazon.com "Ultralight Backpacking Canister Camp Stove with Piezo Ignition 3.9oz!" $8.42 inc shipping.

For a low cost alternative to jetboil check out this at Amazon.com "Ultralight Backpacking Canister Camp Stove with Piezo Ignition 3.9oz!" $8.42 inc shipping.

That's the one of the ones I have. Work's great :wave

Wow! Less than 10 bucks for a propane stove. Might be nice to have one of those in each car.

Back