• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Us421

You ARE a lucky dog. I would have to say that the Snake is uber wide compared to VA80 between I81 and US19 or 16 from Hungry Mother and Tazewell. Actually, I'm not so worried about "ME" being aware, I worry more about the other guy knowing where THEY are and what THEY are doing. Ever notice how many cruisers have a tendency to cross those stripes in the middle of the road????

Anything crossing the stripes in the middle of the road is scary.

If this winter ever ends I'll go back and enjoy those roads again. :rolleyes

Great Web Site! Gravel? GPS Route?

I live and grew up within an hour of the "Snake" and within 5 minutes from the "Back of the Dragon". I spent over 20 years cursing the crooked mountain roads of Southwestern Virginia as I drove over them handling insurance claims. I have mapped out 7 day trips that originate from the McDonalds in Marion, Virginia that will be added to the Smyth County Tourism website under trails(http://www.visitvirginiamountains.com/ ) within the next few days. The "Snake" and "Back of the Dragon" are a small part of some of the rides. You will be able to ride through these mountains for a week and have a different great ride every day. You will be on roads an outsider would never find.

Great web site, great MC routes.

Are any of these gravel? I don't do gravel very well.

Do you happen to have Garmin GPS Route for these roads?

I went to that website and looked at the routes. I think I've ridden just about all of those roads, some more than others. I believe that they are all asphalt. Not sure if 623 that goes through Burkes Garden near Tazewell is on them. It is well worth taking for the scenery but if you look on the map it looks super jaggy. Tight switchbacks on GRAVEL after Burkes Garden. Did I tell you I HATE gravel.
You may want to contact those Smyth County guys about GPS maps. Actually they wouldn't be hard to knock out in MapSource.

Many of the good rides are not on the site yet but the roads are paved. There is an occasional problem with gravel in the roads. Horse and cattle trailers sometimes pull the gravel from the shoulder because they have to leave the paved surface to get around the curves and hard rains sometimes wash the gravel across the road. I don't have GPS routes. I rode these roads for many years before they invented the GPS. I had to ride them again with a pen and pencil just to get the names and numbers of the roads.

Back