• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Us421

OINK

US421 from Bristol, TN (on I-81 at the TN/VA line) southeast to Sugar Mill on US321.

I dare ya.

This road is not only technical, it's flat-ass dangerous. It was my introduction to mountain riding. I did it on a V-Strom 1000. I would not attempt it on the Valkyrie I've been riding since (on which I was confident doing The Tail with my wife up behind me) and MAY someday try it on my recently-acquired 2005 K1200LT, but probably not.

Outside shoulders are drops of hundreds of feet through trees, no guardrails; inside of curves are vertical rock. Right turns have clinker crumbs scattered in the lane from four-wheelers getting tires off the pavement onto the clinker-ballasted shoulders. Violent elevation changes and switch-backs you couldn't put a self-respecting picnic table across sideways. Two mountain ranges, two decompression valleys along the way.

Sugar Mill is just a spot-on-the-map intersection. The nearest town of substance is Boone, about five miles east on 321. About 10 miles past Boone is US221, another high-tech road north. Somewhere up there is a place called Copper Ridge where there is an exchange with the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Last edited:
Seems you know the roads we use around here to get to the grocery store:laugh Guardrails? Those are dispensed politically with no relevance to "whats over the edge". We've got this one local road(a 3 digit local road) near me in another KY county, the county judge must be related to the guard rail company because recently they put up more in a 10 mile stretch than we have on the "US" level roads that are on each end of it. Moral of that story is, you cannot judge a road by its guardrails.

Flatlander

Seems you know the roads we use around here to get to the grocery store:laugh Guardrails? Those are dispensed politically with no relevance to "whats over the edge". We've got this one local road(a 3 digit local road) near me in another KY county, the county judge must be related to the guard rail company because recently they put up more in a 10 mile stretch than we have on the "US" level roads that are on each end of it. Moral of that story is, you cannot judge a road by its guardrails.

Okay, Snuffy Smiff -- I was only a flatlanr tourister back then, but tell me -- any good ridin roads off I-75 between Knoxville and London? Been ove that stretch a couple of times in cages and the mountains and valleys -- and ravines -- look enticing.

US421 from Bristol, TN (on I-81 at the TN/VA line) southeast to Sugar Mill on US321.

I dare ya..

You were close to a more challenging road. Take Rt 80 (north, I guess-left) from Exit 24 of I-81 in Virginia and ride it to Rt 19. You can continue on Rt 80 to Breaks Interstate Park on the VA/KY line. The road is only about 15 or so miles but the middle has a steep mountain with hairpin curves with no shoulder at all. The road is good and normally clean but it is a real challenge.

yea my wife likes 421, gives her time to relax after we have fun riding on the real tight roads.;)

Guard rails are killers, I will take my chances sliding down a slope. Although I have no plans to engage either.

Okay, Snuffy Smiff -- I was only a flatlanr tourister back then, but tell me -- any good ridin roads off I-75 between Knoxville and London? Been ove that stretch a couple of times in cages and the mountains and valleys -- and ravines -- look enticing.
I ain't "Snuffy" but am one of the resident curmugeons on here!:laugh
I'll share a great ride that's above London: Get off in London(KY:laugh) and take 30 until you get to 421 then 421 N to McKee,KY then 89 to Irvine,KY & then several other roads to choose-if new to the area I'd ride toward Red River Gorge/Natural Bridge St Pk. (89-this ones a Jewel!!! to ride & spring/fall are the best times in these mtns.. London /Knoxville hard to say but towards Cumberland Gap maybe the best direction.
Osbornk: I'll buy the gas for your scoot if you'll pay for the BBQ?:laugh

Love KY ridin'

I recently moved to the thriving metropolis of "North Middletown" a few years back from the Milwaukee area. The roads were definitely one of the reasons I chose KY for my retarded years. I have an RT and had a GSA previously - not sure which I liked more! Give a holler when ya'll get around the Gorge for a cup a joe!

I dare ya.

This road is not only technical, it's flat-ass dangerous. It was my introduction to mountain riding. I did it on a V-Strom 1000. I would not attempt it on the Valkyrie I've been riding since (on which I was confident doing The Tail with my wife up behind me) and MAY someday try it on my recently-acquired 2005 K1200LT, but probably not.

Outside shoulders are drops of hundreds of feet through trees, no guardrails; inside of curves are vertical rock. Right turns have clinker crumbs scattered in the lane from four-wheelers getting tires off the pavement onto the clinker-ballasted shoulders. Violent elevation changes and switch-backs you couldn't put a self-respecting picnic table across sideways. Two mountain ranges, two decompression valleys along the way.

Sugar Mill is just a spot-on-the-map intersection. The nearest town of substance is Boone, about five miles east on 321. About 10 miles past Boone is US221, another high-tech road north. Somewhere up there is a place called Copper Ridge where there is an exchange with the Blue Ridge Parkway.
That road is known in the SE as the Snake. Best parts are from Mt.City to Lake Holston. You may not want a guard rail. When the lady on an ST1100 got drilled by a Road King with target fixation, she went over one of those embankments and down maybe 100 ft. ATGATT allowed her to walk right back up.IMAGE_023-S.jpg Like the man said, VA80 is excellent and so is 16 from Hungry Mother State Park to Tazewell (they call it the back of the dragon). Lots of other cool roads in that area. Ya need to take Dramamine.

Out of Mountain City I prefer 91 north to 58 east. Of course, a stop at the General Store in Shady Valley for a hamburger is a good time to stretch your legs.

Out of Mountain City I prefer 91 north to 58 east. Of course, a stop at the General Store in Shady Valley for a hamburger is a good time to stretch your legs.

:thumb

Now... what's the big deal about the Snake? Heck, that's actually a great twisty road in world class condition.

I can take you on a few really good roads right nearby there that will flat roll your socks up and down.... real local stuff.

Ian

Now... what's the big deal about the Snake? Heck, that's actually a great twisty road in world class condition.

I can take you on a few really good roads right nearby there that will flat roll your socks up and down.... real local stuff.

Ian

I live and grew up within an hour of the "Snake" and within 5 minutes from the "Back of the Dragon". I spent over 20 years cursing the crooked mountain roads of Southwestern Virginia as I drove over them handling insurance claims. I have mapped out 7 day trips that originate from the McDonalds in Marion, Virginia that will be added to the Smyth County Tourism website under trails(http://www.visitvirginiamountains.com/ ) within the next few days. The "Snake" and "Back of the Dragon" are a small part of some of the rides. You will be able to ride through these mountains for a week and have a different great ride every day. You will be on roads an outsider would never find.

These are all more fun than the Dragon- this thread should be a required read for those wanting to find more of the really good stuff we've got in this part of the world.
As you guys know, most of these, unlike the Dragon, have no significant traffic or leo presence virtually all of the time. If one is foolish enough to accidentally explore off road, you might be out there for a while...

These are all more fun than the Dragon- this thread should be a required read for those wanting to find more of the really good stuff we've got in this part of the world.
As you guys know, most of these, unlike the Dragon, have no significant traffic or leo presence virtually all of the time. If one is foolish enough to accidentally explore off road, you might be out there for a while...
Most of the riders I know avoid the Dragon. We tend to run the 28's. SC,GA and NC 28 from Walhalla to Deals Gap. Then we either "endure" the Dragon and come back on the Cherohala (IMO a much more dangerous road than either the Snake or Dragon) or divert to a long list of back roads. Once a road gets a name, the Diamondback, Back of the Dragon, Dragon, Devil's Triangle, Snake, and Cherohala Skyway, the LEO presence climbs dramatically. What IMO is even worse is they attract those packs of rolling road blocks known as cruisers.

Most of the riders I know avoid the Dragon. We tend to run the 28's. SC,GA and NC 28 from Walhalla to Deals Gap. Then we either "endure" the Dragon and come back on the Cherohala (IMO a much more dangerous road than either the Snake or Dragon) or divert to a long list of back roads. Once a road gets a name, the Diamondback, Back of the Dragon, Dragon, Devil's Triangle, Snake, and Cherohala Skyway, the LEO presence climbs dramatically. What IMO is even worse is they attract those packs of rolling road blocks known as cruisers.

Since we live very near them, my buddies and I ride the Back of the Dragon and the Snake probably 8-12 times per year during the week (usually as part of a longer ride or to get somewhere) and we very seldom see a LEO or encounter much traffic. Most of the slow cruisers seem to get out on the weekends.

Since we live very near them, my buddies and I ride the Back of the Dragon and the Snake probably 8-12 times per year during the week (usually as part of a longer ride or to get somewhere) and we very seldom see a LEO or encounter much traffic. Most of the slow cruisers seem to get out on the weekends.
When that crash pic was taken there were two Tn State Troopers at the first hairpin east of Shady Valley and two more at the store. That year I saw as many as six at the intersection at the store. The following year they pulled the special funding that allowed the troopers to have the extra coverage. Since that time I have only seen county sheriffs and maybe one or troopers in several years. I have never seen a single patrol car of any kind on 16 outside of Marion. The other named roads I mentioned almost always have LEO's on them on the weekends.

KY roads are thrilling and a little scary sometimes

The only thing more frightening than the switch backs and dead possums was a women stopped in the middle of the road getting one for supper. Nothing against women, they're just usually the ones who cook supper. I know I'll catch flack for this but it's a true story and a long time ago. I only had to swerve once because she already had the possum by the tail. I love KY.

DW

Ian

Please post them,thanks!:)

On eating roadkill-I've only been here since 1973 & know people that say they like groundhogs that are fat & roasted but never met anyone that eats roadkill anything. One guy I worked with said they'd put them in a cage & feed them for a few days before eating. FWIW,same guy raises sheep and hated the taste of lamb-me too. People to dumb to walk on the left side of the 2 lanes is far more dangerous than possum pickers.

I live on the NC side of the mountain and have ridden the Snake a few times. Wonderful road. First time I was looking at my GPS and wondering why the road looked so wide all of a sudden. It was the switchbacks, but the road looked three times wider than it was.

Definitely one to be aware of where you are and what you are doing.

Also fun is 58 east out of Damascus and 133 from Damascus toward Shady Valley. Don't forget the worlds shortest tunnel. Then there is 167 from Mountain City into North Carolina.

Man, I live in a great area.

Mark
R100RT

I live on the NC side of the mountain and have ridden the Snake a few times. Wonderful road. First time I was looking at my GPS and wondering why the road looked so wide all of a sudden. It was the switchbacks, but the road looked three times wider than it was.

Definitely one to be aware of where you are and what you are doing.

Also fun is 58 east out of Damascus and 133 from Damascus toward Shady Valley. Don't forget the worlds shortest tunnel. Then there is 167 from Mountain City into North Carolina.

Man, I live in a great area.

Mark
R100RT
You ARE a lucky dog. I would have to say that the Snake is uber wide compared to VA80 between I81 and US19 or 16 from Hungry Mother and Tazewell. Actually, I'm not so worried about "ME" being aware, I worry more about the other guy knowing where THEY are and what THEY are doing. Ever notice how many cruisers have a tendency to cross those stripes in the middle of the road????

Back