• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

The Sacramento River in Spring

jaxthedog

jaxthedog
70-degree weather forced - FORCED! - me onto the bike and I found myself tracing the east side of the Sacramento River using whatever road I could find. :thumb

A little photo essay (with lot o' scenery and stuff, but not too many bike shots, sorry) is posted at: http://thechurchoftheopenroad.blogspot.com/2013/03/east-side-of-river.html

(although it doesn't seem to like Internet Explorer, preferring,instead, something like Firefox...)

PS: Condolences to those of you still digging out of winter. ;)

jaxthedog,

Thanks for the essay! Last summer I did the west side of the river, starting from Red Bluff and ending in Woodland. Fantastic ride! Having lived in Woodland for 43 years, I have made many a trip to and from Sacramento and Woodland on both sides of the river....always an enjoyable ride. I too remember the cable ferries, although the one I road many times was the one at Elkhorn, just east of Woodland.

Thanks, KJ. Don't tell my boss, but this coming Tuesday or Wednesday, I'm going to call in sick, hot-foot it up to Orland on I-5, take 32 east to Hamilton City and do the ride again, but this time on the west side of the river.

The almonds are in bloom and, outside of my cigar dealer's walk in humidor, there are few things in the world that smell as sweet.

Sounds great! I'd be tempted to meet you at Hamilton City and ride with you for a while. However, we have rain Tuesday, rain/snow Wednesday, and my brother and his wife visiting from NC for most of the week. Maybe later in the spring or summer we can cross paths on a northern CA ride.

Give me a bit of an advance "heads-up" when you're coming this way. I will be having more meetings in Sacramento this summer, and hope to ride back and forth. Might be an opportunity there.

Ride safe and enjoy!

Back