• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

GPS Tank bag

romany

Has anyone any experience with those tank bags that are specifically designed to hold a GPS? If so would you recommend them? I have an older automotive Tom Tom that I'm thinking of using in one of these bags. I don't want to drop $700 on a motorcycle gps. There's some speculation that Garmin may be developing a new GPS that incorporates a lot of the technology developed for tablets. Id like to wait and see if that is the case. Or if I could find a Zumo 220 I'd consider that as an option. Thoughts?

You haven't gotten too much feedback yet so I will jump in here with my thoughts on tankbag GPS's....

I just use a regular (non waterproof) automotive Nuvi on a handlebar RAM mount. Works great and if it rains I just toss the GPS into the waterproof tankbag and go on without. I have experimented with my GPS in a clear pocket in the top of my tankbag and I really didn't like it at all. In my mind it was just too far out of my normal line of sight that it was dangerous. To view it going down the road it just took my eyes too far off the road for too long to be effective or safe. You have to slightly move your head downward instead of just moving your eyes a few degrees. Just my $.02, hope it helps.

Or if I could find a Zumo 220 I'd consider that as an option. Thoughts?

The Nuvi 550 is similar to the Zumo 220 and normally sells for around $250. It's waterproof and you can load routes into it.

You have to slightly move your head downward instead of just moving your eyes a few degrees. Just my $.02, hope it helps.[/QUOTE]

Thanks I was wondering about that very issue. This is exactly the information I was looking for.

Back