• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Any Takers?

Hello Everyone,
My wife and I live in Baltimore, MD.

I would like to know if anyone that is going to the Lima Rally would want to ride with us on our trip. We are heading out July 18th to Wellsboro, Pa and staying 2 days. Our ride will start out on I-83 north to York/Harrisburg and then ride Route 15 into Wellsboro.
While we are in Wellsboro we will be touring the Pennsylvania Grand Canyon by covered wagon on an old mine road Tuesday afternoon.
We will leave Wednesday morning on Scenic Route 6 and head to Lima, with stops to check out the scenery.

I will have more details on the route soon if interested.

It should be a great trip!

The latitude of Wellsboro is 41.748N. The longitude is -77.3W

http://www.wellsboropa.com/history.html

http://www.wellsborodiner.com/history.htm

http://www.visittiogapa.com/grandcanyon.html

Have a great day, God Bless

Make sure to have a meal at the Wellsboro Diner! :thumb . About 2 hrs West, The road to the Kinzua Railroad Bridge is just before Mt Jewett ,Pa on the right! Look for the dinosaurs & go a few miles to the Park on the left! A tornado took the bridge down 2 years ago! It's worth the time to take a look if you have never seen it! :wave

rally ride

I'm riding out to Lima from Rural Valley Pa. leaving on the 21st. It is near Pittsburgh, no idea of the latitude and longitude but i'll get it. You going to be near this area on that date?

Shag,
I do have plans to visit the Diner since it is a historic landmark. I will check out the roads you were talking about, sounds like a nice ride.

Thanks,
Dave

Pancho157,

We are heading out on Wednesday the 20th to head to Lima, we have reservations at the Wingate Inn on that day.

With not knowing what your Vacation time is, we might be able to hookup on the 20th if you could leave a day early. We could ride back down I think PA-287 and head towards 220/80 and maybe meet somewhere around Du Bois or Falls Creek.

I would have to run that by the wife about coming back down rather than riding scenic route 6.

Ideas?

Thanks,
Dave :type

Dave, I can ride up and meet you on route 6 on the 20th. I'd hate for you to miss that ride. Can you give me an idea of where you'll be say around noon of that day.

Pancho157,
That sounds great, I will check to see where we will be around noon on Wednesday and get back to you. when it gets closer maybe we can exchange cell #'s so we can make contact when in route.

Dave

Rt 6 in PA

Is Rt 6 in PA that good? I posted a question a couple of weeks back about what route to follow through PA and mentioned Rt 6, as it was highly touted in the PA touirism book. One fellow posted and said it's not really a good bike route and that I should try 220 (I think that's the road). What do you think? I'm coming from Ontario, through the Finger Lakes region of NY, south from Watkins Glen.

Markopolo,
I have never been on Route 6, but I know that when my wife and I started to plan our ride to the rally, I hadn't heard of route 6 until we made plans to stay in Histiric Wellsboro and take a tour of the Pennsylvania Grand Canyons.
When I started to look into route6, the more I was interested in learning about it.
All I can say is look into the route, you can get a free copy of "Take Scenic Route 6" brochure with this link: http://www.visittiogapa.com/route6.html

I think it will be a nice ride for you from what I have seen.

I hope this helps,
Dave

Thanks

RideOn, thanks Dave. I think I'll check it out in more detail. I could still fit it into my plans quite easily, as I'm booked into a hotel in Saint Marys on the Tuesday evening and I could take Rt 6 west after I enter PA fron NY.

Mark

From N.Central PA to Lima

I ran this route out and back to Maine last September and can give a few pointers. First, Rt. 6 (picked up south of Elmira, NY) is a great shot across PA. The Grand Canyon of PA is very scenic and worth the stop. I camped at the Colton Pt. St. Park (west side of Canyon) and found the views and camping more than adequate. Unfortunatly on my way back I got to enjoy Hurricane Ivan from the Adirondack's down (avoid storms with names :doh ).

Take Rt. 6 to the Allegheny National Forest and jump on Rt. 666 through the forest. It lives up to it's name, and just watch your speed.
From there pick up Rt. 62 through Oil City to Greenville and straight through to Rt. 88 in Ohio. Cross Mosquito Lake on Rt. 88 and follow all the way to Ravenna, OH (you'll pass the Krispy Creme Offices).

As a side note, there is no great way to avoid the Cleveland/Akron/Canton area (lots of congestion and traffic lights) and this is the best way I've found so far (other than interstate).

In Ravenna pick up Rt. 44 south all the way to Rt. 62 into Canton. You will go right by the Football Hall of Fame (if you're into it) and then take Rt. 30 all the way to Mansfield. There is construction off and on but Rt. 30 east of Mansfield is not too bad. This will put you close to the Mid-Ohio track (just sw of Mansfield in Lexington) for track day or on the return run for the Superbike races on Sunday. Route 30 and 309 split on the west side of Mansfield and I'd vote for 309 as well on into Lima. St. Rt. 314 S. from 309 is a clean shot down to Mid Ohio.

Enjoy the ride!

dave, this is pancho157 aka Richard here. send me an e-mail at rgvilla@alltel.net and I will send you my cell phone #. My plans can be very flexible as I can be off the whole week. Last weekend I rode some of route 6 in Ohio coming east from Fremont Indiana. Its a typical farm/country rode through all the towns and paralleling the railroad. It was a nice ride but hot. I think the route suggested above is okay but I would avoid route 30. I have ridden it to the vintage days and it is a bore. I suggest we hook up on 6 somewhere in Pa. follow it into Ohio were it drops down to 44 at Chardon. we take 44 south to 224 and follow 224 all the way to Finley where we pick up 15 and drop down to Lima on 65. Or some variation of this. talk to you soon.

Back