• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Arai Signet-q helmet?

Looking at one of these to replace my Arai Profile which I really like, but is 6 years old. Any one have one , and does it fit like like the old Profile or Signet? I've had a coulple Shoies but always ended up with a sore forhead. Is Arai the only folks that make long oval helmet?

I'm a fellow hatchet head and have found, like you, the Profile is the best helmet for my cranial deformity. I watched the Revzilla video on the Signet Q and it looks like it will be my next helmet. However, I have not placed one on my melon yet.

I recently bought a new Signet-Q. Previous helmet was a Signet of 1996 vintage. (I'm obviously not on a 5 year replacement program) The new one fits me very, very well, is a bit larger externally than the '96 and noisier. I had to replace cheek pads for fit on the original Signet but not on this one. The chin closure is not as effective at closing out cold air as was '96 closure and I suppose the added noise may be caused by the additional vents this helmet has on the top. Despite the larger outside diameter I have no added sensation of drag. I use ear plugs so the added noise isn't an issue for me. As an object, of course it's very nice. I'm happy to have and recommend it.

Last edited:
I have always worn Shoei helmets. In the X-11/12, I take a medium size but there is a bit too room on the sides of my head. A size small was just too tight everywhere and I would get a headache in about two minutes. Even with the medium size there was an extended break-in required, but it finally got comfortable.
When I tried the Signet-Q, I discovered that my proper size in this helmet is a small. The shell is actually a bit smaller than the Shoei in size medium. The Arai in size small is in very light contact with the sides of my head and I still have enough room front-to-back, thanks to the long oval shape of the helmet. With the Shoei, I had to go to a size medium in order to get enough front-to-back room, with the sides being a bit to big. The Arai has been comfortable from day one. I can wear it for long hours with no discomfort. It seems only a little, if any, louder than the Shoei.
One can replace a Shoei face shield very quickly and easily. It is a good design which I like a lot. Changing the Arai shields can be kind of intimidating: there are even videos attempting to explain how this is done. Knowing that the world needs instruction videos for a "simple" shield change did not make me feel all warm and fuzzy. However, with about three minutes practice ("Oh, THIS is how it's done!) it becomes very fast.
The fit of the Signet-Q, along with it's shape, caused me to realize the Shoei helmets were actually torquing my head when performing a head check. Since the Shoei had extra room on the sides of my head, the wind would spin it around farther than I wanted to rotate, when checking for traffic. It wasn't a huge amount, just a bit uncomfortable. I was never aware of what caused this discomfort until I used the Arai helmet, which is rock solid. There is much less stress on my neck because the helmet just stays at whatever angle my head is.
I'm sold on the Signet-Q to the extent that I'm going to buy another one.
These are my observations. I hope this helps.

I have always worn Shoei helmets. In the X-11/12, I take a medium size but there is a bit too room on the sides of my head. A size small was just too tight everywhere and I would get a headache in about two minutes. Even with the medium size there was an extended break-in required, but it finally got comfortable.
When I tried the Signet-Q, I discovered that my proper size in this helmet is a small. The shell is actually a bit smaller than the Shoei in size medium. The Arai in size small is in very light contact with the sides of my head and I still have enough room front-to-back, thanks to the long oval shape of the helmet. With the Shoei, I had to go to a size medium in order to get enough front-to-back room, with the sides being a bit to big. The Arai has been comfortable from day one. I can wear it for long hours with no discomfort. It seems only a little, if any, louder than the Shoei.
One can replace a Shoei face shield very quickly and easily. It is a good design which I like a lot. Changing the Arai shields can be kind of intimidating: there are even videos attempting to explain how this is done. Knowing that the world needs instruction videos for a "simple" shield change did not make me feel all warm and fuzzy. However, with about three minutes practice ("Oh, THIS is how it's done!) it becomes very fast.
The fit of the Signet-Q, along with it's shape, caused me to realize the Shoei helmets were actually torquing my head when performing a head check. Since the Shoei had extra room on the sides of my head, the wind would spin it around farther than I wanted to rotate, when checking for traffic. It wasn't a huge amount, just a bit uncomfortable. I was never aware of what caused this discomfort until I used the Arai helmet, which is rock solid. There is much less stress on my neck because the helmet just stays at whatever angle my head is.
I'm sold on the Signet-Q to the extent that I'm going to buy another one.
These are my observations. I hope this helps.

Nice report

How to change the shield on an Arai helmet is not easy to learn. I found that if it sounds like you are breaking the visor when you are putting it back on, you are doing it right. :laugh

I've had a Signet-Q for a little over a year, or 22,000 miles. I can't speak to how it compares to other Arais, but I can say that it's the most comfortable helmet I've ever had on my head.

I replaced my profile with one and have to say that I'm very happy with it. I had an Arai rep size me at the bike show and was surprised to find that I was actually a medium. I had always purchased large.

It fits well and the peel off cheek pads make it easy to get the right fit.

Still not a fan of the face shield removal system but that's the way they make their helmet.

I too recently replaced a Profile with a Signet-Q. It is definitely a long oval shape, but doesn't feel quite as long. It may be the difference in an old helmet that has conformed to my head over the last 50,000 miles versus a new helmet. In any case it still fits me better than any other lid on the market, Same size as before, XL.

Signet Q

I just replaced my Profile with a Signet Q and I can't tell any difference in the fit. I have noticed the liner in the Signet Q is much softer than the Profile, probably due to the Cool Max pads. The Signet Q is also larger in width in the visor area, which gives greater peripheral vision than the Profile. I also like the pinlock shield that is now standard on the Signet Q , although you have to buy the insert.

I had a solid white Profile helmet and the new Signet Q is a graphics design that is called Mask Black. I wanted a white helmet, but the graphic design was all that was available in the dealer's stock. Since I was on the road about 700 miles from home and needed a new helmet, I didn't have a choice of colors.

I am pleased with the performance of the Signet Q, so far and I am glad that Arai has a helmet to fit those of us with the oval heads.

Bill

Back