• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2 new Fs in the family:)

Polarbear

Polarbear
Just down payment'd for the F800GS and F700GS to be delivered next week:). They go great alongside my GSA1200. This makes for 4 F bikes(2 singles, 2 twins), one KLR and one GSA1200. A Family FULL of adventure bikes. I am the old guy in the family(Dad) and I guess my young ones have taken notice all these years. A question has risen its head??? ESA or NOT, ASC or NOT? I am a NOT vote, but maybe its my old ways! Anybody LIKE these add on safety features and easy adjust shocks? My biggest complaint to the kids has been the HIGH replace costs of such, fulling knowing many go the standard shock when time comes. Otherwise, making room in the garage to park more bikes, a happy event here. Randy

Great Randy! I have been enjoying my F800gs, chances are you will too. I don't know about the ESA, I did lower mine 2". Good luck with them. Gary

congrats :german

Wish I could have found a used GS F-twin when I was shopping. I wound up with a used 07 ST F-twin.

Congrats
I have ESA on my 1300GT and really like it.
Ordered it for my 700GS that I pick up on Friday

Your gonna love those new F-GSs, you may even find yourself choosing them over the big girl.

As for the ESA, I like it on my K1200GT, but I don't think it's something I'd bother with on my GS. I'm presently getting Ohlins front and rear for my F800GS for more adjustability and control. For my needs on the GS, that is a better direction than the ESA. If you plan to do more highway than backroads, then the ESA might be OK.

Almost did!

Back 5 years ago, when the F twins were introduced to USA, the F800 was taking FOREVER to get to the USA. Remember? They just couldn't get em here in a timely fashion. I BOUGHT the GSA1200 instead, sitting on dealer floor. I am glad to have the GSA1200, but the F800 was on my hit list at the time, BMW couldn't get it here. My 1200 has been all good. NOW, I get to try the F800GS again(700 too), 5 years proven in its design:). Actually, my kids bought em, 800, 700 and I suppose they will let me take a good ride soon. The bikes live in my garage:). Its getting crowded in the garage now, 3 fit real nice, 5 will be a challenge but doable. YES Tracy, you come here, you got a bike to ride:), I promise. Randy

Tuesday:)

Taking delivery Tuesday coming up! I think the F700 has EVERY farkle BMW offers on it already and more added. Even TPM. My Daughter didn't mess around equipping this one. Her favorite Red too. The F800 has most of it, including BMWs latest GPS system. I cannot wait to see'em, almost like buying my own first bike so many decades ago:). Seeing ones kids come along, grow up and in their mid/late 20s now and following the old mans footsteps IS rewarding for me. They too are very excited and jumping at the bit! We will trailer the bikes in from the dealer about 125 miles away, all boring slab/freeways. We live in the Sierra Nevada Foothills, country roads and twisties out my back door. The first miles on a Beemer should always be like this, not on a cage roaring freeway. Randy PS: I get a new education too, wrenching on new bikes not owned before. WE have done our own services at home for decades:)

Miles added:)

The newbies are here and miles adding quickly, still well under first service(600m) however. Jesse Luggage added to F800GS and Happy Trails Denali's going on F700GS soon. Doing all add'ons here at home. The luggage seems the biggest challenge, at least taking most of a day to get all built right and trimmed out. The bikes are breaking in perfectly, no issues at all the first 400+ miles and being used for commuting to work and rides about the foothills where we live. The oil level checks are same as the bigger twins, very subjective to warmed up engines and a learning curve for my younger new owners. Never seems to read the same oil level twice! Getting used to it, NOT adding any. My kids left almost no farkles unattended(bought'em all), adding about every option one can find to add, including new BMW GPS system on F800GS. I personally have not had most of this new era BMW stuff(ESA, TPM, ASC, GPS, etc) on any of my bikes and am learning too, what I like and do not. The new BMW GPS is cool but pricey! Thank goodness Im not paying the bills:). The new bikes are way neat and well accepted so far. Randy

A small update:)

The luggage is in place, both bikes now. Jesse(Safari) on the F800GS and Happy Trails(Denali) on F700GS. The latter Happy Trails went on much easier in an HOUR:). Half day for my Friend, Al Jesse's! Hmmm. Love my Jesse Luggage all my years past and currently, BUT Happy Trails WINS this arguement, hands down for self installing luggage(our first HT Luggage in family). An "HOUR", I am still shocked how easy and the fit so perfect:). My Daughter is slightly challenged in leg length, so a low seat was opted for from BMW. This is ONE COMFY stock seat so far, even for her Dad of 240lbs and tall. After dozens of BMWs and seats rebuilt by everybody, BMW may have made a seat that works??? The standard F800GS seat is another BMW wannabe seat, most probable another seat customer for somebody! Bar backs may be forthcoming as both bikes ARE a reach to the bars and I personally would find this an issue after a 500 mile day. Not my bike(s), lol. Also stock shields are for LOOKS only, absolutely NO functionality AT ALL. Shields coming in near future. Did buy the GIVI Shield for the F800GS and its pretty, but almost useless for touring comfort. Too skinny a windbreak. Dirt bikers may love these, per our friend, but a touring GS has to have something more rider friendly for miles added:). Later, Randy.

Back