• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

CA Fast-Trak Lanes Rules Change

pauls1150

MOA #24991, south of Los Angeles
FINALLY, bikes don't need a transponder anymore! :thumb

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/transponder-496927-lanes-toll.html

IÔÇÖve been wondering for a while now why the heck did they try to sell ("loan on deposit") us the transponders in the first place...? :scratch
The HOV lanes were built with Federal funds ÔÇô meaning that bikes are allowed to use them.
Then they changed the name of those very same lanes (except for part of the 91, which was always a ÔÇ£FastTrakÔÇØ setup). :whistle
So they need more income from the citizens thank you, State, for your continued gross financial incompetence.
But requiring bikes to have them was nothing short of blatant extortion.
And if you turn the transponder back in to them, they refund that deposit money to you but now that cash you loaned them is worth a bit less.
California grrr

:confused: Must be a socal thing. My fastrack is only used for bridge tolls and I did not have to pay a deposit to get it. Yeah, they keep between $15 and $40 of my money to pay tolls (when it gets below $15 they charge my card another $25).

I never knew?

I live outside the Bay Area, Clovis. Never knew bikes had free pass to bridges! Nice:). Randy

I am a little confused? Motorcycles do not need to go through a toll booth over bay area bridges? You can use the Fast Track lanes without a Fast Track account?
John

Bay area bridges have not been free since July 2010. there is a charge for the HOV lanes during HOV hours that is 50% of the standard rate. To use the HOV lanes on the bridges you MUST have a transponder registered to the vehicle. I have one transponder. I've registered all of my vehicle license plate numbers to that transponder. That way if the transponder doesn't trigger (or if I've left in a different riding suit) the bridge will look up my license plate and bill my account. Details at http://www.mtc.ca.gov/pdf/Toll_Schedule_July_2010.pdf

Best thing that ever happened to me was not getting that job in Baton Rouge. :stick

On the other hand my daughter loves NOLA. Takes all kinds. :laugh

With all that nonsense why would you ever want to live in CA ?

Well, our last hurricane was ------- never.

The mountain, canyon, and coastal roads are awesome and everywhere.

The weather is great.

No, I'm not going to worry about a few bucks to drive over one of our bridges.

BAY AREA BIKES STILL HAVE TO PAY TOLLS ON THE SEVEN MAJOR BRIDGES!

:dance:dance:dance

It's supposed to be in the 70's this weekend. Should we go for a ride, hit the beach or go skiing?

No! No! No! He's just jerking your chain. The weather's bad, the roads are crowded, & the cops are mean. It's not worth coming here. North Dakota might be nice.... :whistle

Yep, Bill's right.

Move along, nothing here to see. These are not the droids you seek.

I hear the bridge tolls in Kansas are pretty cheap. (Bridges in Kansas? :scratch)

Just rode, now back;

Bass lake and YosemiteNP today, all great roads. Some sand, but not bad, mostly clear roads to 4000'. Made just the S. perimeter of Yosemite, no more time for more. 60 degrees and cooler. No bridges. Rode Morro Bay Sunday, high 60 degrees. Bridges should be free to bikes,imo. Of course imo means nothing! 33 years in CA now, from Virginia(27 years) and don't want to live in either anymore! I sure have the best m/c weather here, but ABSOLUTELY nothing else... I will trade and sooner than later. Ya'll come visit, its really nice, but bring LOTS of $$$, not cheap here:(. Randy

and don't want to live in either anymore! I sure have the best m/c weather here, but ABSOLUTELY nothing else... . Randy

Randy,

No offense, but if there is somewhere better to be, why aren't you THERE? Life is too short to be where you don't want to be.

And if you use the cop out "well, this is where my job is", other places have jobs. Yes they don't pay as well, but you MUST have already made the cost of living vs the wages calculation and decided your better off where your at. Clovis isn't THAT expensive.

Where is your ideal place?

And I agree, bridges should be free to bikes. We cause NO wear and tear and we cause major traffic congestion when we have to stop, shut off the bike, take off our gloves and fish out our cash (yeah, I know, I preplan my toll crossings and have the correct amount clipped to the tankbag so I don't go through all that, but not all riders do or should have to.)

There are a number of different toll lane systems.
The article is talking ONLY about one of them which is the L A Metro Express Lanes. One system, in one location, which is the Metro Express lanes on the 110 and now just this week, the 10.
I do not believe that applies to ANY OTHER SYSTEM.
Thus, if you are on the Toll Roads in O C or any of the Bay Area systems, you still need the transponder. And for bridges, you must pay the toll.
In any case I still need the transponder for my car.
dc

83F in Dana Point today, but cooling off to the 60's next week. Unpacking arctic gear again . . . will it never end?

Toll bridges are all about making money for maintenance or profit or both. Wear and tear do not appear to be the issue. I have a pickup camper and I tow a Jeep. Pickup or the Jeep across the bridge on 680 would be $5.00 each. Easy math says that would cost $10.00 for both. But no, because they are connected, 4 axles=$20.00. Yep, this is a gripe. The price we pay to live here. I feel better!!!! 65 degrees out right now in Santa Cruz. I'm going for a short ride. All have a great day!

My wife took the horse up to Davis and with the trailer it's $20.00. Same as a real truck. Annoying isn't it.

65 in Santa Cruz. Is the fog in it's 71 at my house in the east bay. ;)

My wife took the horse up to Davis and with the trailer it's $20.00. Same as a real truck. Annoying isn't it.

65 in Santa Cruz. Is the fog in it's 71 at my house in the east bay. ;)

It is annouing!!!
We topped out around 71 and then the clouds came in. No fog. My son wnet to San Mateo yesterday and he said it was much warmer. I like the warm weather but some rain would be good. Keep those inland mountains green for a while longer. Makes for a pretty ride.

Back